Police state in Britain. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Police state in Britain.

Police state Britain: MPs demand protection as Tory is arrested for revealing truths Labour didn't want you to know | Mail Online

A sad day.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:10 PM
get ready, this may, and probably, will be coming to the US soon

Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

I'll admit, as someone on the left this is disheartening to say the least. But I'll maintain - this is the fault of Gordon Brown, not the Labour Party.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
get ready, this may, and probably, will be coming to the US soon
It seems to be the way the fish are swimming.

And wearing Brown Shirts
Old 11-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I'll admit, as someone on the left this is disheartening to say the least. But I'll maintain - this is the fault of Gordon Brown, not the Labour Party.
Article in the Guardian today that views it as a problem of police excess rather than anything party political.

PC Plod shows too much zeal on Damian Green | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Who will put manners on these coppers?
Old 11-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

An outrage that brings shame on Britain | Matthew Parris - Times Online
Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Heads should roll for arresting Damian Green - Telegraph

Quote:
Heads should roll for arresting Damian Green
Forget the sanctimonious cant. The assault by counter-terrorism police on the sanctuary of Parliament is a major interference in Britain's system of democracy. But it can be put right.Heads should roll for arresting Damian Green
Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't mean to go on a rant, but I have to say, excepting the posters that have already responded, I am really disappointed at the lack of interest in this thread.

Do people not see this as a serious matter?

Fine, most of you don't live in or near the UK, but seriously, don't you care about this stuff? Isn't this an issue of some importance?

You realise, if they can do it to a senior member of parliament in the oldest democracy in the world, they can do it to anyone?

I'm just reminded, not for the first time, of that boiling frog.

Boiling frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I don't mean to go on a rant, but I have to say, excepting the posters that have already responded, I am really disappointed at the lack of interest in this thread.

Fine, most of you don't live in or near the UK, but seriously, don't you care about this stuff? Isn't this an issue of some importance?

You realise, if they can do it to a senior member of parliament in the oldest democracy in the world, they can do it to anyone?

I keep my eyes wide open all the time.

~Johnny Cash

A good thought to keep in mind as we swim though this boiling pot.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Well to be honest, I don't know enough about this substantively to comment in any real way.

The Canadian thread really had no substantive contribution from non-Canadians either, so it's not as if non-American issues around here get a lot of participation from anyone but nationals of the country.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's Thanksgiving weekend, so many people are on holidays and if at all take only quick looks at the forum.
Apart from that, yes, responses to non-American issues are indeed far lower. But I can also think of a multitude of valid and logical reasons why people rather not respond to those threads. A look at the number of how many people viewed the thread might be a better proxy. Though of course it also counts multiple openings by one person or those that only opened a thread for a second one can try and estimate the interest in it.

England, to me, is quite worrysome for quite a while now. It began in the times of the IRA bombing that security was gradually increased, but with the IRA (used here as generic term for all sub-groups as well) stopping the bombings this development of substituting privacy with security didn't stop. They simply found another reason to further increase it. And apparently, they don't stop thinking of additional things to add, like the proposed database containing information even about children that show any kind of indication that they are not normal.
At the same time, over the last year and a half there has been a record number of incidents where USB sticks, cell phones, laptops etc. got lost, stolen or made public containing all kinds of information.
And unfortunately for other countries England is somewhat of the experimental lab for all the fancy technology and other opportunities how to increase "security".
Old 12-01-2008, 03:55 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:10 PM
I have my own reasons for not commenting (like, it's FYM): but if the concern at hand is the use of anti-terror related laws to harrass innocent people, then I assure you I'm well aware of it.

In Australia, the Mohammed Haneef case may (in a very, very small part) have helped to unseat John Howard's government last year. If it did, at all, they deserved it. And the same goes for whoever is responsible for this sort of thing in any country.

The very REAL problem, Financeguy, is that police-state tactics are bipartisan. America has just about finished eight years under one of the most intrusive administrations ever. I guess I have my eye on America more than Britain, since I figure, it can sort itself out, and also cannot dominate the globe.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:10 PM
(the latter, that is)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

I think on here there is a distinct lack of participation in threads that are geographically far from where people are situated. I mean, look at the Mumbai thread - only 3 pages of posts, and how many people have died? That's really is something in need of discussion. But then again, I know I for one feel uncomfortable posting on a topic I know only little about.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:10 PM
i think it goes to show once again that america gets all the attention, while the rest of the world goes by relatively unnoticed.
that doesn't feel right to write, but it really seems to be the case.
i read about this arrest on saturday in the independent and it really is frightening. there are so many ramifications to their dealings... the very instrument of democracy was abused, as far as i'm concerned.
in russia, i wouldn't be surprised. but i think anyone who's from britain or has their own national government modelled after it should be gravely concerned by this incident.