Police state in Britain.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heartily disagree with the ID card idea - mostly because it's not voluntary whatsoever if it's to be fully implemented (like driving licenses etc are), because we have to pay for something a lot of us disagree with and because it'll carry far too much information. Information likely to be used and abused.
An absolute impeachment of ones right to privacy, and it if goes ahead we really should be worried about what else the government may force upon us in the future.

I heartily disagree with the ID card idea - mostly because it's not voluntary whatsoever if it's to be fully implemented (like driving licenses etc are), because we have to pay for something a lot of us disagree with and because it'll carry far too much information. Information likely to be used and abused.
An absolute impeachment of ones right to privacy, and it if goes ahead we really should be worried about what else the government may force upon us in the future.

So what info does it have that a license doesn't have?

Maybe it's a societal difference, but so far I just don't see the reason for getting upset :shrug:

So what info does it have that a license doesn't have?

Maybe it's a societal difference, but so far I just don't see the reason for getting upset :shrug:

It's one of principal - I do NOT want a piece of card bearing every single aspect of my life that is easily accessible by the government and/or police, and I won't know when they're accessing this information and they don't have to tell me. The cards might include biometrics (facial recognition, retina scans, voice patterns, finger prints etc) and they won't just be something you carry around and produce at will, they'll be on an online database (and as we all know in the UK, disks can be lost, data can be stolen).
And you can see how they're going to be abused - they're being installed in an attempt to crack down on 'terrorism' and 'immigration' and 'benefit fraud' - and I don't think this is the way to go about any of those issues at all.

What's so funny?

I kinda get it now, I can see if they "might" include biometrics that it might be intrusive. I'm still not completely convinced it's big brother yet, but you gave me a little more insight as to how it might being scary for some.

So if it didn't include biometrics would you still be against it, if so why?

I'm just laughing at the '...' there :)

No, I don't think it'd constitute for big brother either - just takes a step closer to that. I'd still be against the idea of having all my information on an online database, it just seems to intrusive, and I wouldn't like to think of people keeping tabs on me and my not knowing it. And seeing how information is so easily lost (the numerous uk data disks that were lost in the post, left lying around etc) that seems like a very bad idea.

What's so funny?

I kinda get it now, I can see if they "might" include biometrics that it might be intrusive. I'm still not completely convinced it's big brother yet, but you gave me a little more insight as to how it might being scary for some.

So if it didn't include biometrics would you still be against it, if so why?

If you look at the scale of observation in the UK in its entirety I would say Big Brother is not far. The ID with all the information that is wished to be saved upon is another step in a scary direction.

And by the way, again a British official lost sensitive data. This time it was the minister for culture and sports. He lost a suitcase in a train containing confidential material.

BVS haven't you seen Minority Report? Ok I know it's only a movie but I remember when it first came out in the cinema they were discussing the issues raised in the film on a TV documentary and also on the extra's on the DVD. This ID card of what is being proposed worries me because the government can abuse this information. We don't live in a perfect society and if they do enforce this cards on us do you really think that will be an end to terrorism, illegal immigration and benefit fraud forever? I don't! These things are run by organized gangs and no matter what is imposed these criminals will find a way around the system. When the banks issued us with chip-and-pin on our debit cards instead of using signatures, we were told that it would put a stop to card fraud forever!! What happens? Incidents of banking fraud increase dramatically!

I'm not normally a paranoid person. I personally don't mind that we have more CCTV camera's in my country than any other if it makes our streets safer. But the issue of these ID cards makes me worried.

BVS haven't you seen Minority Report? Ok I know it's only a movie but I remember when it first came out in the cinema they were discussing the issues raised in the film on a TV documentary and also on the extra's on the DVD. This ID card of what is being proposed worries me because the government can abuse this information.

I just didn't get the fear of ID cards, now partygirl gave a little more explanation, but still all this talk of ID cards themselves don't scare me... Now you both kept saying they MIGHT have biometrics etc, now this I can understand the fear, but an ID card without this info doesn't warrant fear...

Like I said Partygirl further explained a little and I get it...sorta

I don't mind carrying an ID card that carries the same information you get on a driving license. I think they will be wiser to carry with you than being forced to carry a passport with you, and I presume this is what immigrants have to carry with them now, but I'm against biometric and information from eye scans being stored. I heard that soon employers will be able to keep track of their employees through a chip in their mobile phone, but I think this maybe just paranoia.

I heard that soon employers will be able to keep track of their employees through a chip in their mobile phone, but I think this maybe just paranoia.

Well this is already happening...

I know companies that have placed GPS units in their electronic tablets so that when they make sales calls and get signatures they are where they said they were...

Sometimes our own desires to be in the loop can come back and bite us in the ass. I have a "friend" that's always going on and on about big brother, yet he was one of the first to buy cell phones with GPS units in order to know where his children are at all times.

Back
Top Bottom