Pole Dancing in School.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgv

ONE love, blood, life
"A row has erupted at a Devon college after a pole dancing company was brought in to perform for students.
The demonstration, at South Devon College, Paignton, led to some teachers complaining it was inappropriate for the younger students aged 14.
The Art of Dance school was invited to give two demonstrations as part of the college's Be Healthy Week.
The college said that although a pole fitness demonstration had taken place, there had been no pole dancing.
It added that no "official" complaints had been received and has refused to comment further.
Phone recordings
A packed crowd of around 1,000 students, aged 14 to 19, watched the first display performed by company boss Sam Remmer in the main public area of the college.
Mrs Remmer said many of the teenagers recorded the performance on their mobile phones.
Returning to the college two days later for the second demonstration she was told to move inside the sports hall and away from the main public area as there had been "a number of complaints".
She said she was told staff had complained that after the first performance pupils were more interested in watching their mobile phone recordings and swapping pictures and videos than they were in their afternoon classes.
Mrs Remmer said she agreed to do the demonstration for free providing she could post videos of the event on the internet and use them as advertising.

"I am really angry that bad pole dancing stereotypes are being thrown in my face."
Sam Remmer, The Art of Dance

However, she said the college subsequently contacted her and demanded she remove all videos relating to the display from the internet and asked that she does not make the demonstration public as they "want to draw a line under the issue".
"I consented to removing the videos that had students in them as they had not signed any consent forms," said the 32-year-old.
"However, I refused to remove the videos filmed in the sports hall as they did not feature any students or references to the college."
Mrs Remmer claims that unless people are educated in the differences between modern fitness pole dancing and lap dancing then "negative stereotypes will not go away".
She added: "I am really angry that bad pole dancing stereotypes are being thrown in my face.
"Pole dancing is appropriate for young teenagers at school as it is a mix of dance moves and gymnastics and is excellent for fitness.
"If anything my classes empower women and therefore encourage them to be in control of their bodies."

BBC NEWS | England | Devon | College in pole dancing show row
(... there's a video)

My question - had the kids been invited to participate in the pole dancing, would the boys have done it too?

It's a REALLY good physical workout. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it. You need some amazing core strength to be able to do it. And it's more fun than the usual gym work outs.

Not much different from the Cirque du Soleil dancing they do on ropes...

Plus, what kind of college is this, are 14 year olds in college common?

Not much different from the Cirque du Soleil dancing they do on ropes...

Plus, what kind of college is this, are 14 year olds in college common?

Second level schools in the UK are frequently called 'colleges', e.g, St Mary's College for Girls, or whatever. This is the equivalent of what is termed 'high school' in the US. Not third level.

Funny thing is, Americans often refer to university/college as 'school', which I sometimes find confusing.

hmm I don't why the school thought this was innapropriate, it's not the stereotypical kind of pole dancing you would imagine in a sleezy club, it seems like quite the workout and doesn't seem much different than most gymnastics. :hmm:

If the woman was dancing round in a thong and bra (or not), then yeah, Id probably be a bit more WTF.

Im guessing, or hoping she wasnt dancing in a sexually suggestive way.

Besides, its the school who let her in in the first place, why do that if theyre going to turn round afterwards and be offended?

I have no problem with the physical side of pole dancing at all... however, I find the idea of presenting a group of 14/15 year old boys with a demonstration hilarious. Seriously, the teacher that organised this should be shot.

If the woman was dancing round in a thong and bra (or not), then yeah, Id probably be a bit more WTF.

Im guessing, or hoping she wasnt dancing in a sexually suggestive way.

Besides, its the school who let her in in the first place, why do that if theyre going to turn round afterwards and be offended?

Did you see the video? :lol:

Seriously, the teacher that organised this should be shot.

Uhm, you don't really mean that, do you?

I'm not sure if pole dancing belongs in school. College (American term here) yes, but not for high schoolers. Just the fact that pole dancing is associated with stripping means it won't be taken seriously. Yes, it is a good workout (I've tried it), but I can understand why teachers and parents would get upset, because of the stripping connection.

Yeah, this was inappropriate. Pole dancing is usually associated with strippers, and it's not a good idea to have a demonstration for high school kids.

It's a REALLY good physical workout. I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it. You need some amazing core strength to be able to do it. And it's more fun than the usual gym work outs.
So true :up: I've never hurt so good after a workout.

hmm I don't why the school thought this was innapropriate, it's not the stereotypical kind of pole dancing you would imagine in a sleezy club, it seems like quite the workout and doesn't seem much different than most gymnastics. :hmm:
Yep. It's not sleezy at all, but it's generally taught in a fairly adult way. It's fitness-oriented, but the whole idea of having the pole is to bring out your sexy side and have a bit of fun with it. The reason it's such an impressive workout is that you have to do all these acrobatics, but in a very slow, sensual way, which is that much harder.

I have no problem with the physical side of pole dancing at all... however, I find the idea of presenting a group of 14/15 year old boys with a demonstration hilarious. Seriously, the teacher that organised this should be shot.
lol, yes, what the point of showing this to a group of hormone-ravaged teenagers is, I don't know.

why not teach these young girls a useful skill?

it seems every town has 2 or 3 cirque du soleil establishments where they could put this to use and make the rent money.

Wow. You've got to be fit to pull that off. I know I couldn't do it and I think I'm in pretty good shape!

There's a simple concept that I think a lot of people miss these days:

Just because we say something is appropriate for kids (or teenaged boys) doesn't mean that it's bad or that it might not be perfectly fine for adults. I don't think the folks teaching this class are trying to promote a strip-club type thing, but that's how it will be viewed by a younger, less mature audience.

Back
Top Bottom