Plastics may affect masculinity in young boys, study says - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i think that one's willingness to run into bullets fired from a weapon that didn't exist 100 years ago is a really poor measure of masculinity.
Valor perhaps?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Valor perhaps?

sheer stupidity?

Cho didn't pause to reload his musket.

but this all seems quite perverse to be discussing in a paranoid thread about plastics, which begs the question as to why this theory is adopted, yet there's enormous resistance to the mountain of evidence supporting man-created climate change.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
man-created climate change.
Sigh... remember the good ol' days when it was global warming? Something a little more objective than "change."
Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Because it is both warming and cooling, "change" fits and is actually more objective.

"Global warming" is the strawman of the Bubba contingent, it needed to be rephrased.

Look outside, it's snowin', haha, stupid global warmin'.
Never mind that the idea about what's causing it is the real issue.

It's the way people think about it, and discuss it. The only people who want to hold on to that phrase, just want to be able to easily knock it over.

Because God couldn't possibly let humans affect the weather.
Nuclear bombs that can wipe out entire cities? Fine.
But the weather belongs to God.

And also Plastic creates Gays. You guys didn't see this subtext?
We're not talking Ancient Gays, we're talking modern, Bionic Gays.
The ones that look normal and you can't spot from a mile away.
A non-bionic Gay is of the flaming variety, they are unaffected by plastic, they just made the choice to be fabulous!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:31 AM
I want to know when studies actually mean coincidence, not link.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Who gives a shit about cigarettes when there's PLASTICS everywhere? Jesus, we're all fucked.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:34 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:31 PM
pets and plastics are killing the planet, guys. plastic pets are the worst.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #23
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 02:31 PM
That's pretty laughworthy actually. I wouldn't take that seriously.

Phtalates are banned from being in any kind of food or whatever. So how the heck would a pregnant mother eat them? They're also banned from baby toys(apparently in the US only since 2008, in the EU since 2006) so I doubt a kid would ever get a significant amount of them in their body.
Sure, they go into the environment a little from leaking out of the plastics, but that's such a small amount it can't harm a human being. Besides, there are alternatives these days which are widely used.

Quote:
Swan had previously shown that some small boys and toddlers exposed to phthalates in the womb had subtle changes in the size and anatomy of their genitals.
Note the word some. Yeah, that's some reliable research! How is this proof that that's due to the phtalates, and not some random coincidence? There's been so many paradoxal reviews on this topic, I find it hard to believe this is the absolute truth.

For what Khan said, the plastic causes cancer issue is because some plastics have or can form benzene rings. Benzene on itself is highly carcinogene, but when it's in a molecule it is usually harmless. Ofcourse there are exceptions, but you wouldn't find those products in the supermarket!

And what do you find in a phtalate? A benzene ring. So yeah, must be lethal!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
true, but glass is heavy.
As a...truck?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Galeongirl View Post
That's pretty laughworthy actually. I wouldn't take that seriously.

Phtalates are banned from being in any kind of food or whatever. So how the heck would a pregnant mother eat them?
Exactly! Because human skin is the ultimate barrier to all contaminants! [/sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Galeongirl View Post

Note the word some. Yeah, that's some reliable research! How is this proof that that's due to the phtalates, and not some random coincidence? There's been so many paradoxal reviews on this topic, I find it hard to believe this is the absolute truth.
some child bearing women over the age of 50 give birth to children with Down's Syndrome. Notice the word 'some'? how is this not just random coincidence? [/more sarcasm]
Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
child bearing women over the age of 50 give birth to children with Down's Syndrome. Notice the word 'some'? how is this not just random coincidence? [/more sarcasm]
child bearing women over 50 eh ? sure there are lots of those naturally occuring.
Chances of downs syndrome increases naturally in mothers over 35 anyway , so thats a bad example to use.
still more likely to happen than some plastic linked gential shrinkage
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
child bearing women over 50 eh ? sure there are lots of those naturally occuring.
Chances of downs syndrome increases naturally in mothers over 35 anyway , so thats a bad example to use.
still more likely to happen than some plastic linked gential shrinkage
Hyperbole. The point was just because it only happens to some, doesnt mean there isnt a link. Its irrelevant what age I chose to use. I know it occurs naturally, I wasnt implying anything else. How is that a bad example? You just reiterated the point in your third sentence. And the fact that it might be more likely than the effects of plastics (I dont know that, do you? I'm sure there are different degrees to which it affects children), is also irrelevant to my point
Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
i think that one's willingness to run into bullets fired from a weapon that didn't exist 100 years ago is a really poor measure of masculinity.
Marines stormed Iwo Jima over 60 years ago - does that give a measure? D-Day?

Also, in the American Civil war - thousands of Confederates charged, slowly, at the Union center at Gettysburg (1863) in the face of certain death. The Union also has as many examples of a "willingness to run into bullets".

That being said - I still see masculinity present in the modern fighting force, although it is mostly limited to Combat Arms - which was a discussion in the "Women in the Military" thread.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post

although it is mostly limited to Combat Arms
Then I really have to question your definition of "masculinity".

I think some of you have a pretty warped sense of what masculinity is, I think some of you are stuck in a world where you have to be a cigar smoking, I can say what I want who cares who I offend, don't have feelings, can't keep it in my pants, gun-toting neanderthal in order to be a man.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Marines stormed Iwo Jima over 60 years ago - does that give a measure? D-Day?

Also, in the American Civil war - thousands of Confederates charged, slowly, at the Union center at Gettysburg (1863) in the face of certain death. The Union also has as many examples of a "willingness to run into bullets".

That being said - I still see masculinity present in the modern fighting force, although it is mostly limited to Combat Arms - which was a discussion in the "Women in the Military" thread.

the comparison was being made that 100 years ago unarmed civilians in a university under attack by a madman wielding a semi-automatic would have run at the attacker in order to protect the women, and this was brought up as an example of masculinity and how men today aren't as masculine as they were 100 years ago.

i think the examples you point out above are more examples of "courage" rather than "masculinity."