Planned Parenthood Gift Certificates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
abcnews.com

Planned Parenthood Offers Gift Certificates

Controversy Erupts Over Gift Vouchers for Clinic Services, Including Abortion
By GIGI STONE

Dec. 3, 2008—

This holiday season, Indiana's Planned Parenthood is offering an unusual stocking stuffer: gift certificates redeemable for health services at clinics throughout the state.

In these tough economic times, the organization says it made the move toward gift certificates because it is worried that more and more people will forgo basic health care.

"Women in particular are likely to forgo basic medical needs when faced with putting gas in their car or food on the table," said Planned Parenthood of Indiana's president and CEO, Betty Cockrum.

Planned Parenthood provides contraception, pap smears and other routine health services for women, as well as abortions. The gift certificates, ranging in values from $25 to $100, can be redeemed for all clinic services.

The Indiana branch is selling the gift certificates on its Web site, touting it as a way to give the gift of health this holiday season.

But the vouchers are sparking controversy. Some anti-abortion supporters see it as less about the gift of affordable health care and more about making a mockery of the holidays.

"This campaign to offer lethal gift certificates that Planned Parenthood is engaging in right now is offensive," said Sister Diane Carollo, director of the Office for Pro-Life Ministry for the Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. "And it's offensive because Christmas is about the celebration of human life."

Planned Parenthood is quick to argue some 95 percent of women who come to their clinics come for basic health services -- not abortion.

"It's about basic health care. It's about annual exams, it's about pap smears, it's about birth control," said Cockrum. "I would be amazed if a dime of it goes toward an abortion."

It's an issue that is spreading beyond Indiana. On ABC News.com today, opinions were mixed. One person wrote: "Wal-Mart gift cards can be used to buy alcohol and ammunition ... but nobody is outraged."

Another wrote: "Disgusting!!!!! I am pro choice, but gift certificates for abortion, sick, sick, sick!"

Planned Parenthood chapters in Illinois, New York, Alaska and Michigan are considering similar gift certificate programs for the holidays.

But if the organization expands this program, the more it is likely to inflame the never-ending fight over abortion during what is intended to be a peaceful holiday season.

People need to educate themselves as to what Planned Parenthood really does, and understand that abortion is such a small percentage of what they do.

That being said, I still find the gift certificates a little odd. I'm trying to figure out who would really buy these...

Well, if other states choose to do this, they can learn from Indiana and just make the gift certificates "not valid for abortion". That sure would be strange to see on a Christmas gift. I do like the idea of offering "The gift of health" though. I can see donating gift certificates to a homeless shelter or something, but not giving one to my sister.

People need to educate themselves as to what Planned Parenthood really does, and understand that abortion is such a small percentage of what they do.

That being said, I still find the gift certificates a little odd. I'm trying to figure out who would really buy these...

I agree on both counts. Think of all the abortions Planne Parenthood PREVENTS!

On the other hand like you say, what are they really for? I don't know about PP but there are agencies that do offer free birth control and some health screens already.

^That's true. I know that here in Michigan, a lot of clinics give free birth control, condoms, etc. at least until the age of 18. After that, though, it has to be either an out of pocket or insurance expense.

Too many women are uninsured. I know this. Because, I work at a OB/GYN clinic in a well known hospital in the U.S. John Hopkins. Very few of our patients are seeking an abortion. But, sadly some women don't come in to our clinic, until they are having major issues. We are one of the few hospitals in Maryland, who will gladly accept the uninsured. We will redirect the bills to a financial admid. And will help them to get medical assistance or a payment plan. The patient can afford.

Many medical centers only accept certain insurance plans. It is sad, because women are not seeking the preventative screening they need. Such as breast health and Cobol test.

Damn. The line of disgruntled fundamentalist Christians protesting this will extend past my house.

I haven't gone to PP in years but I did reach a point where I was making too much money to get free exams from them. Since I didn't have insurance I was glad to be able to go there and it didn't seem too expensive. Plus I figured I was helping out those who didn't have money by paying for my services.

^ Good to know I wasn't really sure how it worked.

Before I was insured through my employer, my birth control pills were only $20/mo without insurance. I suppose if one is responsible enough to be sexually active, $20/mo max can't be too much to ask.

Back
Top Bottom