Planet Gliese 581 g - Could it support life? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #61
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 131
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
So, I guess terrestrial planets will need to be categorized in 2 ways:

Habitable by humans
Habitable by others

NASA Discovers New Life: Arsenic Bacteria With DNA Completely Alien To What We Know

NASA - NASA-Funded Research Discovers Life Built With Toxic Chemical

Either way, the definition of life just got more interesting.
I think the real debate should be between planets that are:

Habitable by simple single cell life
Habitable by complex, multi-cellular life ie animals.

The first is probably very, very common. The second is probably very, very rare, if it exist at all on planets other than earth.
__________________

__________________
adam4bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,340
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4bono View Post
I think the real debate should be between planets that are:

Habitable by simple single cell life
Habitable by complex, multi-cellular life ie animals.

The first is probably very, very common. The second is probably very, very rare, if it exist at all on planets other than earth.
That's a very close-minded sentiment as a whole.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #63
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 131
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
That's a very close-minded sentiment as a whole.
Its just an opinion about something that at this time is unknown. Sorry to all the science fiction lovers, but it is a possibility that animal life only exists on Earth.
__________________
adam4bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4bono View Post
I think the real debate should be between planets that are:

Habitable by simple single cell life
Habitable by complex, multi-cellular life ie animals.

The first is probably very, very common. The second is probably very, very rare, if it exist at all on planets other than earth.
Seems a little arbitrary. If there's self replicating, cellular life, what is the barrier to keep from multicellular life?
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,340
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4bono View Post
Its just an opinion about something that at this time is unknown. Sorry to all the science fiction lovers, but it is a possibility that animal life only exists on Earth.
It's not science fiction. You just cant comprehend the size of the universe. Nobody can. But you're clearly underestimating the true size.

In my opinion, yes opinion, you're right, it's a joke to think that life doesn't exist elsewhere.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #66
War Child
 
Inner El Guapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 609
Local Time: 12:36 AM
Not to mention for all those new stars, of an essentially incalculable (or at least fathomable) number, a single one of them could support a single Earth-like planet.

It's not really about possibility to me...if you're into science fiction or not, probability doesn't go away in either case.

There is advanced life elsewhere. We just haven't found it.
The odds are heavily in this favor.
If you don't want to believe that, without evidence, I don't blame you.
I can understand...but IMO, you'd be INCREDIBLY short-sighted.
__________________
Inner El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,340
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
Not to mention for all those new stars, of an essentially incalculable (or at least fathomable) number, a single one of them could support a single Earth-like planet.

It's not really about possibility to me...if you're into science fiction or not, probability doesn't go away in either case.

There is advanced life elsewhere. We just haven't found it.
The odds are heavily in this favor.
If you don't want to believe that, without evidence, I don't blame you.
I can understand...but IMO, you'd be INCREDIBLY short-sighted.
And furthermore to tack onto what he'd said earlier...

finding life, or intellegent life, has nothing to do with religion. It neither proves nor disproves religion.

If you believe in God, and you're not stupid enough to believe the universe is a small place, perhaps God never intended for us to find other life, and that's why the universe is so large? Maybe all life is intellegent, for a reason?

Absolutely nothing behind searching for alien life that suggests it is trying to disprove religion.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #68
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 12:36 AM
I've said it before, it's possible that humans are on the older side of complex life in the Universe.

Earth is roughly 5 billion years old. The Universe is roughly 13 billion years old. Maybe it takes several billion years for complex lifeforms to evolve. If that were the case, then maybe there are a few other nascent races out there wondering the same questions we are. But, give it another billion years, and the Universe could be popping with complex lifeforms on the seemingly-habitable type planets.

I think it's safe to say that other complex lifeforms didn't exist when the Universe was 1, 2, or even 3 billion years old. Maybe 13 billion years is the "Goldilocks" number for solar systems to get established and within those solar systems, habitable planets to get established?

Humans certainly aren't the only complex life in the Universe, but it's possible we are the oldest.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,340
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
I've said it before, it's possible that humans are on the older side of complex life in the Universe.

Earth is roughly 5 billion years old. The Universe is roughly 13 billion years old. Maybe it takes several billion years for complex lifeforms to evolve. If that were the case, then maybe there are a few other nascent races out there wondering the same questions we are. But, give it another billion years, and the Universe could be popping with complex lifeforms on the seemingly-habitable type planets.

I think it's safe to say that other complex lifeforms didn't exist when the Universe was 1, 2, or even 3 billion years old. Maybe 13 billion years is the "Goldilocks" number for solar systems to get established and within those solar systems, habitable planets to get established?

Humans certainly aren't the only complex life in the Universe, but it's possible we are the oldest.
Certainly anything is possible. Life itself... is a matter of millions of years here on Earth. While the conditions might have taken longer to meet, life itself was quite a short process in respects to the 13 billion years of our universe.

We could very well be the oldest, or the youngest.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Maybe you should go to Africa, travel that continent from north to south and east to west.

And see the impact that global warming has had there on the land and the flora and the fauna. And how much fertile soil has become sand and desert and the disappearing snows of the Kilimanjaro.

And then ask yourself why you continue to post a lot of the silliness on that topic.

If you're so concerned about people dying of hunger.


I have not been to Africa, but please feel free to post some facts about the effects of global warming.

or climate change.


I'm just silly.
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
which will help confirm the belief there is not a God out there.
How does one prove the other? That makes no sense...



Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
We are doing a poor job of being our brother's keeper.
Probably the truest thing you've ever posted.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com