Planet Gliese 581 g - Could it support life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I guess terrestrial planets will need to be categorized in 2 ways:

Habitable by humans
Habitable by others

NASA Discovers New Life: Arsenic Bacteria With DNA Completely Alien To What We Know

NASA - NASA-Funded Research Discovers Life Built With Toxic Chemical

Either way, the definition of life just got more interesting.

I think the real debate should be between planets that are:

Habitable by simple single cell life
Habitable by complex, multi-cellular life ie animals.

The first is probably very, very common. The second is probably very, very rare, if it exist at all on planets other than earth.

The first is probably very, very common. The second is probably very, very rare, if it exist at all on planets other than earth.

That's a very close-minded sentiment as a whole.

Seems a little arbitrary. If there's self replicating, cellular life, what is the barrier to keep from multicellular life?

Its just an opinion about something that at this time is unknown. Sorry to all the science fiction lovers, but it is a possibility that animal life only exists on Earth.

It's not science fiction. You just cant comprehend the size of the universe. Nobody can. But you're clearly underestimating the true size.

In my opinion, yes opinion, you're right, it's a joke to think that life doesn't exist elsewhere.

Not to mention for all those new stars, of an essentially incalculable (or at least fathomable) number, a single one of them could support a single Earth-like planet.

It's not really about possibility to me...if you're into science fiction or not, probability doesn't go away in either case.

There is advanced life elsewhere. We just haven't found it.
The odds are heavily in this favor.
If you don't want to believe that, without evidence, I don't blame you.
I can understand...but IMO, you'd be INCREDIBLY short-sighted.

Not to mention for all those new stars, of an essentially incalculable (or at least fathomable) number, a single one of them could support a single Earth-like planet.

It's not really about possibility to me...if you're into science fiction or not, probability doesn't go away in either case.

There is advanced life elsewhere. We just haven't found it.
The odds are heavily in this favor.
If you don't want to believe that, without evidence, I don't blame you.
I can understand...but IMO, you'd be INCREDIBLY short-sighted.

And furthermore to tack onto what he'd said earlier...

finding life, or intellegent life, has nothing to do with religion. It neither proves nor disproves religion.

If you believe in God, and you're not stupid enough to believe the universe is a small place, perhaps God never intended for us to find other life, and that's why the universe is so large? Maybe all life is intellegent, for a reason?

Absolutely nothing behind searching for alien life that suggests it is trying to disprove religion.

I've said it before, it's possible that humans are on the older side of complex life in the Universe.

Earth is roughly 5 billion years old. The Universe is roughly 13 billion years old. Maybe it takes several billion years for complex lifeforms to evolve. If that were the case, then maybe there are a few other nascent races out there wondering the same questions we are. But, give it another billion years, and the Universe could be popping with complex lifeforms on the seemingly-habitable type planets.

I think it's safe to say that other complex lifeforms didn't exist when the Universe was 1, 2, or even 3 billion years old. Maybe 13 billion years is the "Goldilocks" number for solar systems to get established and within those solar systems, habitable planets to get established?

Humans certainly aren't the only complex life in the Universe, but it's possible we are the oldest.

I've said it before, it's possible that humans are on the older side of complex life in the Universe.

Earth is roughly 5 billion years old. The Universe is roughly 13 billion years old. Maybe it takes several billion years for complex lifeforms to evolve. If that were the case, then maybe there are a few other nascent races out there wondering the same questions we are. But, give it another billion years, and the Universe could be popping with complex lifeforms on the seemingly-habitable type planets.

I think it's safe to say that other complex lifeforms didn't exist when the Universe was 1, 2, or even 3 billion years old. Maybe 13 billion years is the "Goldilocks" number for solar systems to get established and within those solar systems, habitable planets to get established?

Humans certainly aren't the only complex life in the Universe, but it's possible we are the oldest.

Certainly anything is possible. Life itself... is a matter of millions of years here on Earth. While the conditions might have taken longer to meet, life itself was quite a short process in respects to the 13 billion years of our universe.

We could very well be the oldest, or the youngest.

Maybe you should go to Africa, travel that continent from north to south and east to west.

And see the impact that global warming has had there on the land and the flora and the fauna. And how much fertile soil has become sand and desert and the disappearing snows of the Kilimanjaro.

And then ask yourself why you continue to post a lot of the silliness on that topic.

If you're so concerned about people dying of hunger.

I have not been to Africa, but please feel free to post some facts about the effects of global warming.

or climate change.

I'm just silly.

Back
Top Bottom