Pioneering Stem Cell Surgery Announced - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:03 AM
I have read about people with ALS who oppose escr and say they wouldn't take any treatment

Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I have read about people with ALS who oppose escr and say they wouldn't take any treatment
Good, I respect them for standing by their decision. Although, I would be curious to see their position if a viable and successful treatment were discovered within the next decade. And it certainly would be unethical to refuse treatment to someone disagrees with the research used to find a treatment or possible cure.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:03 AM
"Rather than furthering discovery, our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama said. "In this case, I believe the two are not inconsistent. As a person of faith, I believe we are called to care for each other and work to ease human suffering."
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Geron Ends Stem-Cell Therapy Work Citing Cost - Bloomberg

Quote:
Geron Ends Stem-Cell Therapy Work Citing Cost

Geron Corp. (GERN), the company that started the first U.S.-approved trial of human embryonic stem cells, fell as much as 23 percent in early trading after research costs and regulatory complexities caused it to end the program.

Geron, based in Menlo Park, California, will cut 66 full-time jobs, or 38 percent of its workforce, and take a cash charge of $5 million in the fourth quarter and $3 million in the first half of 2012.

Geron began the first trial testing its embryonic stem-cell therapy in spinal-cord injury patients last April. In October, it reported that none of the four patients in the trial had experienced negative reactions to the therapy, consisting of two million cells injected into their spines at the damaged site. Geron Chief Executive Officer John Scarlett said financial concerns were at the heart of company’s decision.

“It was a very difficult choice to go in and treat spinal cord injury,” Lanza said in an interview. “There was considerable concern in the scientific community that that might not have been the ideal first indication.”
First, I don't consider this good news. Nothing has improved the human condition more than advances in medicine have over the past 100 years. But maybe those voices that approached embryonic stem-cell therapy with reservations regarding how best to allocate capital and resources should have been listened to rather than being derided as "anti-science."

Moral and economic concerns should always be part of any medical equation.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500
But maybe those voices that approached embryonic stem-cell therapy with reservations regarding how best to allocate capital and resources should have been listened to rather than being derided as "anti-science."
I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion? Why not conclude that these anti-science voices are part of this downfall?