Pictures of New Worlds - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:25 PM
If you look really, really closely at the planet, you can see a million little aliens flipping us off.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:25 PM
*looks*

Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
I think this picture is about a million times more of a religious experience than Diamond's post:

It looks like the Bat signal.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieU2fanman View Post
Interesting stuff, but I'm more concerned that if we do find life on another planet somewhere, it will have to be at least 100 light years away. So we should start really thinking about transportation that will make these kinds of journeys to make contact with other life forms feasible. I know we can't travel faster than the speed of light (damn Einstein), however according to relativity if we approach the speed of light, time will tend to dilate making the (say) 100 light year journey seem like 1 year from the reference frame of the person in the spacecraft. However it will still take 100 years from our perspective on earth. So I have no idea how scientists plan on tackling intergalactic space travel in the future whilst being constrained by laws of physics.
Wormholes! That's how: Stephen Hawking's Universe: Strange Stuff Explained My astrophysicist friend has me convinced that such a phenomena is entirely possible...though not entirely feasible at the moment.

It is hard to fathom, however. I mean, I just had trouble cleaning tomato paste from a pot here in my kitchen. For the average tiny human, such a grand interstellar scheme is pretty overwhelming.

That picture is absolutely beautiful.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:25 PM
There are various possibilities I suppose.

I cannot imagine us making interstellar voyages to find out if there is life on other worlds. Some day, if the will is there, I can imagine humanity making interstellar voyages for the goal of colonisation.

Wormholes, maybe. More likely, generation starships. Yep, dystopian ships where the descendents have fallen into barbarism, have forgotten their mission, and worship the ship's CPU as a divine being. Good times, guys.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieU2fanman View Post
Interesting stuff, but I'm more concerned that if we do find life on another planet somewhere, it will have to be at least 100 light years away. So we should start really thinking about transportation that will make these kinds of journeys to make contact with other life forms feasible. I know we can't travel faster than the speed of light (damn Einstein), however according to relativity if we approach the speed of light, time will tend to dilate making the (say) 100 light year journey seem like 1 year from the reference frame of the person in the spacecraft. However it will still take 100 years from our perspective on earth. So I have no idea how scientists plan on tackling intergalactic space travel in the future whilst being constrained by laws of physics.
Suspended animation.

Contact isn't a necessity. And why was this news again? I've forgotten what the point was, don't we already know that planets outside of our solar system exist??

Surely space travel on this scale is an absolute impossibility. I mean, we're good, us humans, but we're not that good. Wormholes is the mix of a black and white hole, if I remember correctly? Do we have proof these exist? And first of all, it won't be possible to get to one, second of all, we'd have no way of telling if it was successful I wouldn't think, and third of all, you'd have to get someone with a mind whose curiosity belies their sense for a volunteer.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Generation starships, guys.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I vote for robots or bacterial panspermia
Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
Suspended animation.

Contact isn't a necessity. And why was this news again? I've forgotten what the point was, don't we already know that planets outside of our solar system exist??

Surely space travel on this scale is an absolute impossibility. I mean, we're good, us humans, but we're not that good. Wormholes is the mix of a black and white hole, if I remember correctly? Do we have proof these exist? And first of all, it won't be possible to get to one, second of all, we'd have no way of telling if it was successful I wouldn't think, and third of all, you'd have to get someone with a mind whose curiosity belies their sense for a volunteer.
We have only been able to infer the existence of planets on the basis of the gravitational wobble exerted on the parent star, this is the first time such planets have been imaged. When the technology and techniques exist we may be able to identify the composition of a planets atmosphere, if we discovered a terrestrial planet with water vapor and free oxygen it would be a very strong candidate for having life because the oxygen in the atmosphere would need a source of replenishment (such as photosynthesis).

It's inspiring that we have the capacity to peer into distant worlds. The discovery of exoplanets has only been happening for around a decade, just cutting edge discovery. Just have a thought experiment about the magnitudes of distance and the sheer number of stars which we will be able to investigate and place yourself into the universe. That is a spiritual thought and experience, it encapsulates the beauty and wonder of the universe and the existential questions of an evolved consciousness on a single planet revolving revolving around one star. Subsuming it all into base supernaturalism diminishes the significance.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
We have only been able to infer the existence of planets on the basis of the gravitational wobble exerted on the parent star, this is the first time such planets have been imaged. When the technology and techniques exist we may be able to identify the composition of a planets atmosphere, if we discovered a terrestrial planet with water vapor and free oxygen it would be a very strong candidate for having life because the oxygen in the atmosphere would need a source of replenishment (such as photosynthesis).

It's inspiring that we have the capacity to peer into distant worlds. The discovery of exoplanets has only been happening for around a decade, just cutting edge discovery. Just have a thought experiment about the magnitudes of distance and the sheer number of stars which we will be able to investigate and place yourself into the universe. That is a spiritual thought and experience, it encapsulates the beauty and wonder of the universe and the existential questions of an evolved consciousness on a single planet revolving revolving around one star. Subsuming it all into base supernaturalism diminishes the significance.
First time imaged. Cheers, for some reason I'd assumed we'd already done this. Not I'm up and about.

I'm not trying to diminish the significance in any way. What's been discovered is amazing. Mind-boggling. Inspiring, as you say. I wanted to be an astronomer as a kid for these very reasons, but you have to be a capable mathematician and physicist first, which I am not. The very ideas that these discoveries open excite me, I just doubt, within my lifetime certainly, whether space travel on this stage will be a viable option.

Astronomers must really believe we're going to fuck the earth, huh?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

You can pick the maths and physics up at university, a science degree is worth consideration, for instance did you know that the starting salary for geologists is > $60,000 p.a.?

Science might be more intellectually rewarding than accounting and more financially rewarding than fine arts.

/Just doing my part for science
Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #27

Quote:
You can pick the maths and physics up at university, a science degree is worth consideration, for instance did you know that the starting salary for geologists is > $60,000 p.a.?

Science might be more intellectually rewarding than accounting and more financially rewarding than fine arts.

/Just doing my part
I'll stick to my current vocation for now, sports journalism

You know, I was the only kid I knew who had his career path chosen in his pre-teens. I knew I wanted to be a sports journo, and when I retired from that I was gonna become an astronomer.

Accountancy is so dull, dull, dreadfully dull!!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #28

Where is the planet in that picture, by the way? Is it that dot to the bottom left?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
I'll stick to my current vocation for now, sports journalism

You know, I was the only kid I knew who had his career path chosen in his pre-teens. I knew I wanted to be a sports journo, and when I retired from that I was gonna become an astronomer.

Accountancy is so dull, dull, dreadfully dull!!
The only sports journalist I ever read was Hunter Thompson, although I can trump you by being able to say palaeontologist by age 4.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #30

Quote:
The only sports journalist I ever read was Hunter Thompson, although I can trump you by being able to say palaeontologist by age 4.
Got me covered. I was still convinced I could be an AFL footballer at that age. And if you've seen my frame... well. You'd understand