Personhood Amendments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Rasmussen Poll from yesterday has McCaskill up 48-38 over Akin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/frank-szabo-new-hampshire-deadly-abortion_n_1822618.html

This shitbird realizes that shooting the woman to stop abortion would also likely kill the fetus ... right?

Unless he's talking about "deadly force" against the doctor. In which case, the guy is still a scary shitbird who should be called out from the rooftops about this disgusting comment.

If anyone saw this story from another source, I'd like to see it, because part of me hopes that this isn't quite what happened or quite what he said, but I realize these days, that's unlikely.

^ He did issue a retraction FWIW, it's in a link at the beginning of the local paper article which is linked at the bottom of your article. Still, anyone who "lets his imagination get out of control" like that (as he put it) sure wouldn't get my vote for sheriff, or anything else.

Thanks. Missed that (obviously). Glad to see that was more or less an actual apology and not some bullshit "I was taken out of context" or "sorry you were offended" faux-apology.

It just gets me to no end that public figures keep coming out and saying horrible stuff like this - it's flat-out incorrect, or it's dangerous and threatening, or whiningly comparing the Akin "pile on" to gang rape.

How hard is it to frigging think before you speak? Think for two seconds about how what you're saying is going to come across! This is the level of public leadership in this country?

New Rasmussen Poll from yesterday has McCaskill up 48-38 over Akin.

that is the type of poll that can lead to a GOP win, is it trustworthy?

the best thing for the GOP would be for Akin to bow to the pressure and step down. I guess the new dead line is Sept 21. and when that passes, he can still withdraw, but his name will be on the ballot.

I have to believe if he withdraws the GOP easily wins because many people will want to support the GOP for doing the right thing

that is the type of poll that can lead to a GOP win, is it trustworthy?

Frankly I find it suspect and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's biased with the intention of getting him to drop out.

Thanks. Missed that (obviously). Glad to see that was more or less an actual apology and not some bullshit "I was taken out of context" or "sorry you were offended" faux-apology.

It just gets me to no end that public figures keep coming out and saying horrible stuff like this - it's flat-out incorrect, or it's dangerous and threatening, or whiningly comparing the Akin "pile on" to gang rape.

How hard is it to frigging think before you speak? Think for two seconds about how what you're saying is going to come across! This is the level of public leadership in this country?

Agree wholeheartedly with this. This sort of insanity needs to stop, and it needs to stop now.

I just love it when supposedly "pro-life" people talk about killing others to protect the unborn. Like those assholes who bomb, or support bombing, abortion clinics.

As for Akin, I hope he loses, and loses big. And then he needs to not run for any sort of office ever again.

Which is? Prohibiting abortion even in the case of rape? Because that's what the GOP wants to be added to the constitution ( G.O.P. Approves Strict Anti-abortion Language in Party Platform - NYTimes.com ). And is what Paul Ryan has been supporting all the while (often in co-operation with Akin).
Which is saying there is no place for a person that once used the term 'legitimate' rape on TV. Even if that person now says he was wrong.
The GOP believes all rape is wrong, always. period

this is only a Senate race in small state with an unpopular incumbent

As for Ryan, he is on the ballot in Missouri as a V P candidate
Romney/ Ryan will easily win Missouri.
Because a candidate says something stupid, that does not mean he should step down, especially when he admits it.

Should Obama have stepped down when he said 'people were clinging to their guns and religion' ?

There are varying degrees of stupid and "If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down" isn't the kind of stupid either party is likely to reckon they can spin as 'Aw, he just misspoke' or 'This is being taken out of context.' But I agree with you it could be a boon for the GOP if he did step down.

Yes, I have to admit it was nice to see both sides of the issue uniting as one to say:

"Dude, what? No. Just ... no."

:lol:

it really is not an 'in kind' agreement

the GOP only wants him out because they think he went from a sure winner to a probable/ possible loser. They were counting this senate seat as a win.

As for the 'legitimate' rape or 'forcible' rape language
that is about wanting an iron clad rape exception for abortion.

They don't want hussies walking in to abortion clinics saying, 'Three months ago I got drunk and passed out, so just check off the rape category. How long will this take I need to update my FB status'.

The Atlantic, Aug. 23
Mike Huckabee declared his support for Todd Akin staying in the race against Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill in an email Thursday, Politico's Alexander Burns reports. "Who ordered this 'Code Red' on Akin?" Huckabee wrote, saying Akin had "owned his mistake" and that the Republican Party has betrayed the Missourian. "If Todd Akin loses the Senate seat, I will not blame Todd Akin," Huckabee writes.

The Republican Party has sometimes seemed to be in a civil war between fiscal conservatives and social conservatives, and you can find evidence for that in the language Huckabee uses:

"From the spotlights of political offices and media perches, it may appear that the demand for Akin’s head is universal in the party. I assure you it is not. There is a vast, but mostly quiet army of people who have an innate sense of fairness and don't like to see a fellow political pilgrim bullied...It wasn't just Todd Akin that was treated with contempt by the thinly veiled attack on Todd Akin. It was all the people who have faithfully knocked doors, made calls, and made sacrificial contributions to elect Republicans because we thought we were welcome in the party."​

Akin first apologized for his "legitimate rape" comment on Huckabee's radio show, and announced he was staying in the race there, too. Evangelical tempers are flaring over Akin's comments and how the GOP responded. On Monday, the Family Research Council's Tony Perkins warned Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown to be "careful" with his criticism of Akin. Reacting to the Huckabee email, Iowa evangelical leader and radio host Steve Deace tweeted, "To those who think Romney should remove Huckabee's convention speech over Akin, I promise you Romney will lose election if he does that." Earlier Deace urged the "GOP establishment" to "Grow up. Show unity. Be team players." His latest tweet is a little more forceful. Deace also posted on his site a story titled, "Romney-Ryan Campaign Is Wrong on Abortion." The ticket supports a rape exception to a ban on all abortions.

Update: Another clue Akin's in for good? Republicans had considered switching Akin with Ann Wagner, who's running for his House seat. Wagner put out a statement Thursday saying there will be no switch.

There is a vast, but mostly quiet army of people who have an innate sense of fairness and don't like to see a fellow political pilgrim bullied...It wasn't just Todd Akin that was treated with contempt by the thinly veiled attack on Todd Akin.

:rolleyes: Oh, yes, the poor man has suffered so.

Shut up, Huckabee.

(The phrase "have an innate sense of fairness" in relation to the situation with Akin made me laugh. That is some funny stuff right there.)

I sincerely hope that none of Steve Deace's daughters ever experience anything close to rape. Its so easy to judge other people or tell others what they should do until it happens to someone they care about.

He should have stuck to sports radio where he was quite good and entertaining. Now he's another profile from Iowa that we have to be embarrassed about.

Huffington Post

Trying to distance himself from the "legitimate rape" comment that Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) made last week, Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom Smith (R) stirred up further controversy by comparing a pregnancy caused by rape to "having a baby out of wedlock."

Smith said Monday at the Pennsylvania Press Club that although he condemns Akin's comment, he agrees with Akin that abortion should be banned without any exceptions, including for rape and incest victims. Pressed by a reporter on how he would handle a daughter or granddaughter becoming pregnant as a result of rape, Smith said he had already "lived something similar to that" in his family.

"She chose life, and I commend her for that," he said. "She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to ... she chose the way I thought. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape."

When a reporter asked Smith to clarify what kind of situation was similar to becoming pregnant from rape, the candidate responded, "Having a baby out of wedlock."

He added, "Put yourself in a father's position. Yes, it is similar."

Smith's comment comes at an inconvenient time for Republicans, who have been scrambling to distract voters from the firestorm of controversy over Akin's comment last week. Addressing the subject of an abortion exception for rape victims, Akin said that victims of "legitimate rape" rarely become pregnant because "the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down."

Smith, who is challenging incumbent Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) in the November election, told reporters that he does not agree with Akin's remark at all. "He should have never said anything like that," Smith said.

UPDATE: 8:45 p.m. --

Megan Piwowar, a spokeswoman for Smith, clarified on Monday evening that the candidate's comments were misunderstood and that the "out of wedlock" pregnancy in his family was not his daughter's.

"Tom Smith is committed to protecting the sanctity of life and believes it begins at conception," she said in a statement. "While his answers to some of the questions he faced at the Pennsylvania Press club may have been less than artful, at no time did he draw the comparison that some have inferred. When questioned if he was drawing that comparison, Tom's answer was clear, 'no, no, no.' Tom was speaking to the difficult decision faced by his family, not the nature of his daughters conception.”

I'm pretty sure Tom Smith has no chance to even come close to Bob Casey in the election. And since Casey is pretty much a prolife candidate (although apparently not prolife enough for some groups), the only thing Smith had to offer was fringe. There must be a way though to be fringe and not sound so fucking stupid.

Arizona Abortion Bill: Legislators Pass Three Bills, Including One That Redefines When Life Begins

Arizona lawmakers gave final passage to three anti-abortion bills Tuesday afternoon, including one that declares pregnancies in the state begin two weeks before conception.

The Republican-controlled House of Representatives passed a bill to prohibit abortions after the 18th week of pregnancy; a bill to protect doctors from being sued if they withhold health information about a pregnancy that could cause a woman to seek an abortion; and a bill to mandate that how school curriculums address the topic of unwanted pregnancies.

All of the bills passed the Senate and now head to Gov. Jan Brewer (R) for her signature or veto.

The 18th week bill includes a new definition for when pregnancy begins. A sentence in the bill defines gestational age as "calculated from the first day of the last menstrual period of the pregnant woman," which would move the beginning of a pregnancy up two weeks prior to conception. The bill's passage would give Arizona the earliest cutoff for late-term abortions in the country; most states use 20 weeks as a definition.

But while the bill's definition of when pregnancy begins is new in legislation, it's not necessarily new for doctors. Elizabeth Nash, states issues manager for Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive health research organization in Washington, said it corresponds with how doctors typically determine gestational age. She said since the exact date of conception cannot be pinpointed, doctors use the day of the woman's last menstrual period to gauge the duration of a pregnancy. The method does not provide an exact date.

So ... I could be pregnant now, assuming I have sex two weeks from today? What?

Also, re conservatives piping up regarding anything remotely about rape: STOP IT. SERIOUSLY.

Back
Top Bottom