Personhood Amendments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point, deep.

So I'm just curious: What exactly are we women supposed to do? If we use birth control, we're apparently whores who will sleep with anything that moves and failing in our womanly duties to get pregnant and have kids, and we should be taxed.

If we don't use birth control, we're irresponsible. But we shouldn't use it, because we should just wait until we get married to have the proper sex that is deemed okay by some out there.

So which option is the "right" one that will make everyone who thinks this has to even be their business to begin with happy?

Moonlit,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE haven't you figured it out yet? Sex is only for procreation. If you are not procreating you are fornicating.

You are defined by your sex and sex only has ONE purpose, and damnitt government should have control of that.

The sooner you learn the better.

I just recently read an article and I wish I could find it but a small town was having issues with it's water life and water supply, they finally tracked it down to the psychiatric hospital and patients urinating in the showers. The way their infastructure was designed the showers drained directly into the river. Can you imagine the kinds of drugs these patients are on?

I think this says more about our water supply and sewage treatment than anything else.
exactly. i've heard about this before too, especially with eating fish and such. perhaps we should be wondering why our government is doing such a bad job of treating our sewage and looking into improving ways of filtering the water. but no, we need to make it all women's fault for taking birth control even though like you said, it's not just birth control that pollutes the water.

Saying VAGINA violates their freaking "decorum", but they think they are qualified to control OUR vaginas. JUST DON'T SAY IT!!!! How about pee pee, maybe that's at their maturity level. Vajayjay, in Oprah yelling voice. How about hoo ha, like the Hoo Ha monologues way back when.

Michigan Dem banned by Republicans for using the word ‘vagina’ | The Raw Story

A female Democratic state representative in Michigan said Thursday that she has been silenced by her Republican colleagues after she uttered the word “vagina” while criticizing a slate of bills that would restrict female reproductive rights.

Michigan State Rep. Lisa Brown (D) made her comments during a Wednesday debate on proposed legislation that critics say could effectively ban abortions in the state. ”I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs,” she said. “Why are you asking me to adopt yours? And finally, Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested in my vagina, but no means no.”

The legislation, contained in three separate bills, would limit abortions by restricting procedures past 20 weeks of pregnancy, imposing new insurance and licensing requirements on clinics, limiting access to abortion drugs and placing new requirements on the tissue disposal process.

An earlier hearing on the same bills saw representatives from Michigan Planned Parenthood shut out and ignored — an act that attracted hundreds of protesters to the capitol on Tuesday.

Speaking against the bills after being recognized by the House speaker, Rep. Brown relayed a little known fact: Jewish law that places the life of the mother over that of an unborn child, no matter how far along the pregnancy is.

That’s when she dropped the v-word.

House Republican leadership later confirmed to Michigan Radio that they felt her comment violated decorum, and that she would not be called upon in future debates.

A second female Democrat, State Rep. Barb Byrum (D), said that she too has been banned from speaking in recognized debate following an “outburst” over the same slate of legislation.

Video from the Michigan House floor shows Byrum attempting to speak about an amendment to the anti-abortion bills, but the speaker does not recognize her despite her status as the amendment’s author.

Her repeated requests to speak were ignored as Republicans swiftly knocked down the proposal, and she later claimed it was because she had used the word “vasectomy.” Byrum’s amendment would have subjected men’s reproductive rights to the same regulations proposed for women.

Republicans, who hold a powerful majority in the Michigan House and Senate, passed the bills with the help of just six Democrats in a vote Wednesday of 70-39.

Both representatives are now banned from recognized debate for an unspecified amount of time.

Update: Michigan Dem calls on women to withhold sex until legislature backs down

In comments ahead of Wednesday’s vote on restricting female reproductive rights, Michigan State Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D), of Detroit, called on the women of her state to withhold sex from their partners until the legislature backs down.

“We’re launching a war on women,” she said. “Stop having sex with us, gentlemen, and I ask women to boycott men until they stop moving this through the House.”

In comments ahead of Wednesday’s vote on restricting female reproductive rights, Michigan State Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D), of Detroit, called on the women of her state to withhold sex from their partners until the legislature backs down.

“We’re launching a war on women,” she said. “Stop having sex with us, gentlemen, and I ask women to boycott men until they stop moving this through the House.”

Ha, there's an idea :D.

Really? They were offended by the use of the word "vagina"?

Why, WHY are idiots like that in office? *Puts head in hands, sighs*

Why is a word like Vaginaso scary, so offensive?

If women are banned from making choices about their own reproductive freedom, then it’s only fair and only right that men can only get a vasectomy to avert death or avoid illness or psychological injury. If we truly want to make sure that children are born, then we would regulate vasectomies.

Why is vasectomy so scary?

A little Greek. Lysistrata. :heart::heart:

Seriously, there are a lot of great guys out there (not like in the House or Senate or anything, :cute:) who don't deserve that shit. Sex or witholding of shouldn't be a weapon. Except sometimes. When it can be effective.:up:

Don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I thought we could use some good news in this thread:

The possibility of a male birth control pill may be creeping ever closer.
Scientists have discovered a small molecule that produces a rapid and reversible decrease in sperm count in mice, according to researchers with the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Baylor College of Medicine.
The compound, known as JQ1, penetrates a boundary in the cells of the male testes and shuts off sperm development in the testicles. The result is non-hormonal birth control that researchers said is entirely reversible.
"Within one to two months [after discontinuing the drug], there was complete restoration in testicular size, sperm number, sperm motility and -- importantly -- fertility," said Dr. James Bradner, an oncologist with Dana Farber and an author on the study. "The litter size was normal, and there were no obvious, adverse symptoms in these animals."

New Male Birth Control Option Shows Promise, Preliminary Study Finds

As a woman, I am excited to hear about this. Soon, both men and women would take responsibility, instead of the guy always saying "Hey, I thought you were on the Pill!"

Does saying testicles and sperm violate decorum?

I wonder if the guys who want govt assistance to pay for birth control pills will be called sluts by people like Limbaugh

I doubt there will be an uproar over male contraceptives. It's OK for men to be in charge of their sex lives, but if a woman dares to go against patriarchial views of sex, she's instantly immoral and a threat to society. Contraception is all about women taking control of their bodies and sexuality, something conservative men don't want. I swear I hate the double-standard, I really do. It makes absolutely so sense.

Woo-hoo! I think both genders should have the same standards when it comes to sex. Even I wouldn't want to be with a guy who's been with about a hundred women. That says to me that he might have commitment issues, so I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Lawmakers haven't seriously attempted to try to legally restrict access to birth control. They've just tried to not force employers to pay for it. There is a difference.

Irvine511 said:
Are there other medications that employers should not be "forced" to cover in their health plans?

I'm not saying that I believe that employers shouldn't be required to provide contraception. But to me, it is a little deceptive to claim that politicians (barring a few insane ones) really want to "restrict" female birth control. It also seems a little dishonest to me to state that not forcing employers to pay for birth control only impacts women, not men. Men typically depend on birth control too... unplanned pregnancies are not particularly desirable for either party. The term "war on women" bugs me a bit. I'd personally be in favor of a national moratorium on "war on _____".

First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

Oh, how interesting. Can I assume these doctors went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?

images.jpg

trying to figure out the difference between legitimate rape and illegitimate rape

must have something to do with a married woman being required to fulfill her marital obligations. :scratch:

Having just watched the clip

Todd Akin on Rape and Abortion, The Jaco Report, 8/19/2012 - YouTube

I'm still fucking astounded that WOMEN'S HEALTH is being talked about BY TWO MEN. Do the producers of these shows ever think it might be a half-reasonable idea to get, y'know, a WOMAN to talk about WOMEN'S HEALTH? Fuck me.

Thankfully, he took to Facebook to explain himself.

Congressman Todd Akin just released the following statement regarding his interview on the "Jaco Report" broadcast this morning in St. Louis:

"As a member of Congress, I believe that working to protect the most vulnerable in our society is one of my most important responsibilities, and that includes protecting both the unborn and victims of sexual assault. In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year. Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve.

"I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue. But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action. I also recognize that there are those who, like my opponent, support abortion and I understand I may not have their support in this election.

"But I also believe that this election is about a wide-range of very important issues, starting with the economy and the type of country we will be leaving our children and grandchildren. We've had 42 straight months of unacceptably high unemployment, trillion dollar deficits, and Democratic leaders in Washington who are focused on growing government, instead of jobs. That is my primary focus in this campaign and while there are those who want to distract from that, knowing they cannot defend the Democrats' failed economic record of the last four years, that will continue to be my focus in the months ahead."

What an upstanding man.

:tsk:

Republican Senate Nominee Explains That Women Don't Really Get Pregnant From 'Legitimate Rape'

I swear this country is going backwards. Its embarrassing to be an American whenever people like this Senator say such ignorant things.

Holy. Fuck.

WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS GET A CHANCE TO BE PART OF OUR GOVERNMENT?

I'm still fucking astounded that WOMEN'S HEALTH is being talked about BY TWO MEN. Do the producers of these shows ever think it might be a half-reasonable idea to get, y'know, a WOMAN to talk about WOMEN'S HEALTH? Fuck me.

Yeah, this times a thousand. Can we PLEASE get some women to talk about this issue?

That guy needs to be slapped across the face. Hard. What a complete and total asshole.

(But no, this isn't at all an attack on women's rights, or anything. Nope. Perfectly normal, rational comments :rolleyes:)

I just can't believe there are men out there who honestly believe they are the guardians of women's bodies, and probably womanhood as well. This is the friggin' Stone Age here! And America is supposed to be an advanced society? I don't get it...

Oh yeah, his Facebook "apology" was far from it. He barely explained where he got his views from or justified them. He totally danced around the issue and mentioned the economy in hopes of getting people to forget what he said. Not a chance with me!

I am feeling optimistically confident that most on the right will distance themselves from this guy. There is no real defense of this that I can see, and the view is not one embraced by the GOP. This is fringe politics. This is not the debate.

I feel optimistic, too. I hope you're right.

Pearl, yeah, I don't get it, either. If any man is going to be involved in this sort of a decision, it will be the guy I am with, if I ask his thoughts and he wishes to be involved for support or whatever, and my doctor, if they are a male, and we're talking over all my options. And that's it. Beyond that, it is nobody else's fucking business.

It's not only the abortion and contraceptives debate that is boggling my mind - its also female sexuality in general.

I don't mean to derail the thread here if I do, but I just want to bring up something. A few days ago, I came across an article on abstinence-only sex-ed classes - which unfortunately are common in America - and from there started looking into the abstinence movement and why women choose to wait until their wedding night to have sex. Now, I have no problem if a woman chooses to wait until marriage. That's her decision, not mine. But I can't help but notice some young women make that decision based on the belief that unchaste women are used goods, and its make a man feel good that he was her first, and crazy stuff like that. Plus, the abstinence movement focuses on girls, hardly ever boys. Furthermore, I was reading a forum where women discussed being virgins until marriage and how they had no regrets, and this one woman said that her husband - who was also a virgin until marriage - was not the first boy that she kissed. She actually said she regrets that fact, especially since her husband is really upset that he was not her first kiss. What the hell? Seriously, what the hell is going on here? Its stories like these that make me embarrassed to be an American.

Hey, Aussies, Brits, Kiwis and Canucks! (if its OK I call you that :) ) Got any insane patriarchal stories for us Yanks? It would make this one feel so much better.

Back
Top Bottom