Personhood Amendments - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #271
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:12 AM
When will Republicans concentrate on preventing more abortions by logical moves like education and supporting Planned Parenthood(who prevent more than they perform), rather than trying to step around or redefine science and legitimize rape?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 PM
They were trying to pass that period bill, it was earlier in the thread. So they actually did?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Life begins at thought?

What the fuck is wrong with Arizona?
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
So ... I could be pregnant now, assuming I have sex two weeks from today? What?

Also, re conservatives piping up regarding anything remotely about rape: STOP IT. SERIOUSLY.
a bit of an over reaction

all the bill did was say a person needs to get their abortion no later than 18 - 20 weeks, instead of 20 weeks

I believe if they put banning abortions after 18 weeks on the ballot, it would pass in almost every state, easily.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #274
Blue Crack Supplier

Women need to be taught that there are consequences to their actions. If we don't stop them from fucking on the taxpayer dime and then killing babies, who will?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
a bit of an over reaction

all the bill did was say a person needs to get their abortion no later than 18 - 20 weeks, instead of 20 weeks

I believe if they put banning abortions after 18 weeks on the ballot, it would pass in almost every state, easily.
That's not what the Bill did.

This is an old story, I think from back in April, and they passed a law prohibiting all abortion after 20 (effectively 18) weeks except for cases of imminent death, or something to that effect. There was never a change from 20 to 18 weeks.

As far as I know, at the beginning of the month the 9th Circuit blocked the law while the legal case is pending.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
That's not what the Bill did.

This is an old story, I think from back in April, and they passed a law prohibiting all abortion after 20 (effectively 18) weeks except for cases of imminent death, or something to that effect. There was never a change from 20 to 18 weeks.

As far as I know, at the beginning of the month the 9th Circuit blocked the law while the legal case is pending.

that link, The Huff Post article is poorly written, just a rant

there is this

Arizona Did Not Declare That Pregnancy Begins Before Conception - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever

I suppose we could find the actual bill and see what it says. At this point I still believe those were over reactions and a majority in the U S would vote to ban abortions after 18 0r 20 weeks.

It is just the extremists on both ends that are in the minority.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Also, re conservatives piping up regarding anything remotely about rape: STOP IT. SERIOUSLY.
This.

And to men in general: Stop. Talking. About. Something. You. Don't. Have. Firsthand. Experience. With. And if you ARE going to talk about it, for fuck's sake, take a sex ed class/read a biology book first.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #278
War Child

If politicians shouldn't speak of things they don't have first-hand experience with, you must not be much of a fan of Obama's economic policies whatsoever.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
How do you figure that, exactly? And I did also say that if they are going to talk about it, they should at least educate themselves first, instead of make these weird comparisons about rape and make comments that show they don't seem to understand how women's monthly cycles work or whatever.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #280
War Child

I was making an analogy with his lack of experience in the economy, to show that just because you don't PERSONALLY experience something, doesn't mean you can't have knowledge of it.

I get what you're saying, I really do. A lot of politicians have shown a lack of basic biological understanding lately. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people say men can't speak on female political issues, simply because they're male.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Gotcha.

Yeah, that was mainly frustration on my part. I'm just tired of seeing stupid people like Akin and whatnot comment on this topic. It'd be nice to get men who know what they're talking about, and it'd be really nice to hear more women's comments on this issue.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #282
45:33

Local Time: 04:12 AM
I do love that "have a way of shutting that whole thing down" has become a meme.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

I'm just glad to see that Akin got raked over the coals for his comments. He's still clearly an idiot who doesn't see where he went wrong, but most people realize how moronic he is.

I guess another thing about my earlier outburst is this: while it's true that you don't have to have firsthand experience with something to know about it, this is one issue where I just tend to feel really squicky about men getting too involved in. It's such a personal thing for women, and so it's strange to hear men talk about and obsess over making laws regarding something that is so personal. And then when they're blatantly ignorant and offensive about it to boot? That just makes it even worse, and even creepier.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Paul Slansky: Paul Ryan Said Something That Should Force Him Off the Ticket, But You Probably Didn't Hear About It

Last week, Paul Ryan gave an interview in which, defending his position that there should be no excuses for abortion, he referred to rape as a "method of conception."

Wow, right? Talk about a benign euphemism. Rape -- RAPE! -- is now a "method of conception." You know, like love-making, just without the love.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #285
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't bring myself to get any more worked up about that than other stuff. I know what he means. He could have picked a more delicate way of saying "some pregnancies are a result of rape," but at least that's a true statement and not something that's utterly incorrect, like "blah blah blah shutting that down."

I obviously disagree with his views on the topic, but it's not like he's saying "oh, rape ... it's just another way of conceiving a child, what's the big deal?"