Personhood Amendments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't realize the GOP had such control over all medial training in the United States. Editorializing a decline in abortion clinics (lack of business?) is pure partisan fodder.

I didn't realize the GOP had such control over all medial training in the United States. Editorializing a decline in abortion clinics (lack of business?) is pure partisan fodder.

The abortion rate has gone down in this country, yes, thanks to better contraceptives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/03/health/research/pregnancy-rates-sank-over-last-20-years.html

But it's no secret that the GOP is hellbent on banning abortion, no matter what. So to say that Salon.com piece is just liberal rhetoric is kind of ignoring what's going on in this country.

The GOP is hellbent on banning abortion, no matter what.

Let's be honest: the GOP would slit their collective grandmother's throats if they could figure out how to have such influence in higher education.

I think that the GOP has less cultural influence over the past twenty years on this issue than improved neonatal care and the increased sophistication in ultrasound technology. More women are getting better healthcare at earlier and earlier stages of their pregnancies, and this is a good thing. This might explain the most recent Gallup polls where, in 6 out of 9 polls, 58% of Americans described themselves as either flat-out pro-life, or pro-life with few exceptions.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/162374/americans-abortion-views-steady-amid-gosnell-trial.aspx

And most Americans think it should remains gal in some or all circumstances.

Makes sense, lots of people I know would themselves never consider an abortion, but would never dream of controlling another woman's body.

And most Americans think it should remain legal in some or all circumstances.

According to Gallup, most Americans think abortion should either A) be completely illegal, or B) be legal only when the mother's life is at stake. (A pretty mainstream pro-life position.) That's about 60% of the country.

in any event, Pearl expressed frustration with where this country is at when it comes to abortion, which in light of the article carried a strong implication that the GOP is to blame. I suggested some options to the contrary as to the shift in terms of cultural perspectives on abortion; do you disagree?

I think there's frustration with the actions of certai states who have sought to shit down abortion providers as we discussed at length earlier.

I think the American people remain about where they've always been on the issue, whichnisnat odds with the actions of Rick Perry or the forced transvaginal ultrasound crowd.

in any event, Pearl expressed frustration with where this country is at when it comes to abortion, which in light of the article carried a strong implication that the GOP is to blame. I suggested some options to the contrary as to the shift in terms of cultural perspectives on abortion; do you disagree?

My frustration is toward the insane regulations and the frightening ignorance of many Republicans, such as Todd Aiken. My frustration is also toward those who can't seem to grasp that even liberals aren't gung-ho for abortions and would like to see it disappear, but are fully aware that not all women are ready to have children, or even want to for whatever reason (rape, poverty).

The GOP is well-known for its anti-abortion stance and I haven't heard of any Democrats echoing the same stance. I'm willing to look around for any left-winger who is not pro-abortion(and I hope you are too), but I highly doubt any of them will have the same views as Aiken, Santorum or Rick Perry.

I think there's frustration with the actions of certai states who have sought to shit down abortion providers as we discussed at length earlier.

I think the American people remain about where they've always been on the issue, whichnisnat odds with the actions of Rick Perry or the forced transvaginal ultrasound crowd.

yikes. sorry about the autocorrect.

My frustration is toward the insane regulations and the frightening ignorance of many Republicans, such as Todd Aiken. ...

The GOP is well-known for its anti-abortion stance

Aiken was run out of office, and Santorum is now running a crappy faith-based film company, which tells me that A) calmer heads are prevailing within the party, and B) calmer heads are prevailing among the voters. (But that's me.)

In any event, the Salon article seems to be an amusing exercise in waving fists at the sky, since it rails against the GOP's supposed influence in medicine/higher ed, which is nonsense. Again, better prenatal medical care including the improvement of ultrasounds and the rise of 3D ultrasounds has most likely had a deeper cultural impact on the culture's shifting pro-life stance.

Back
Top Bottom