Personhood Amendments - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #136
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:46 PM
Lawmakers haven't seriously attempted to try to legally restrict access to birth control. They've just tried to not force employers to pay for it. There is a difference.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Are there other medications that employers should not be "forced" to cover in their health plans?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511
Are there other medications that employers should not be "forced" to cover in their health plans?
I'm not saying that I believe that employers shouldn't be required to provide contraception. But to me, it is a little deceptive to claim that politicians (barring a few insane ones) really want to "restrict" female birth control. It also seems a little dishonest to me to state that not forcing employers to pay for birth control only impacts women, not men. Men typically depend on birth control too... unplanned pregnancies are not particularly desirable for either party. The term "war on women" bugs me a bit. I'd personally be in favor of a national moratorium on "war on _____".
Old 08-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:46 PM

Republican Senate Nominee Explains That Women Don't Really Get Pregnant From 'Legitimate Rape'

I swear this country is going backwards. Its embarrassing to be an American whenever people like this Senator say such ignorant things.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #140
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.
Oh, how interesting. Can I assume these doctors went to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?

Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

trying to figure out the difference between legitimate rape and illegitimate rape

must have something to do with a married woman being required to fulfill her marital obligations.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

Ask Whoopi Goldberg - she'll tell you all about "rape" vs "rape rape."
Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #144
45:33

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Having just watched the clip

Todd Akin on Rape and Abortion, The Jaco Report, 8/19/2012 - YouTube

I'm still fucking astounded that WOMEN'S HEALTH is being talked about BY TWO MEN. Do the producers of these shows ever think it might be a half-reasonable idea to get, y'know, a WOMAN to talk about WOMEN'S HEALTH? Fuck me.

Thankfully, he took to Facebook to explain himself.

Quote:
Congressman Todd Akin just released the following statement regarding his interview on the "Jaco Report" broadcast this morning in St. Louis:

"As a member of Congress, I believe that working to protect the most vulnerable in our society is one of my most important responsibilities, and that includes protecting both the unborn and victims of sexual assault. In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year. Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve.

"I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue. But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action. I also recognize that there are those who, like my opponent, support abortion and I understand I may not have their support in this election.

"But I also believe that this election is about a wide-range of very important issues, starting with the economy and the type of country we will be leaving our children and grandchildren. We've had 42 straight months of unacceptably high unemployment, trillion dollar deficits, and Democratic leaders in Washington who are focused on growing government, instead of jobs. That is my primary focus in this campaign and while there are those who want to distract from that, knowing they cannot defend the Democrats' failed economic record of the last four years, that will continue to be my focus in the months ahead."
What an upstanding man.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
He had to review his remarks to figure out he came across as a scientifically illiterate asshat?

Bullshit. He gave his honest extremist opinion and then saw how poorly it polled.

Friggin' politicians.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post

Republican Senate Nominee Explains That Women Don't Really Get Pregnant From 'Legitimate Rape'

I swear this country is going backwards. Its embarrassing to be an American whenever people like this Senator say such ignorant things.
Holy. Fuck.

WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS GET A CHANCE TO BE PART OF OUR GOVERNMENT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm still fucking astounded that WOMEN'S HEALTH is being talked about BY TWO MEN. Do the producers of these shows ever think it might be a half-reasonable idea to get, y'know, a WOMAN to talk about WOMEN'S HEALTH? Fuck me.
Yeah, this times a thousand. Can we PLEASE get some women to talk about this issue?

That guy needs to be slapped across the face. Hard. What a complete and total asshole.

(But no, this isn't at all an attack on women's rights, or anything. Nope. Perfectly normal, rational comments )
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just can't believe there are men out there who honestly believe they are the guardians of women's bodies, and probably womanhood as well. This is the friggin' Stone Age here! And America is supposed to be an advanced society? I don't get it...

Oh yeah, his Facebook "apology" was far from it. He barely explained where he got his views from or justified them. He totally danced around the issue and mentioned the economy in hopes of getting people to forget what he said. Not a chance with me!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM
I am feeling optimistically confident that most on the right will distance themselves from this guy. There is no real defense of this that I can see, and the view is not one embraced by the GOP. This is fringe politics. This is not the debate.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I feel optimistic, too. I hope you're right.

Pearl, yeah, I don't get it, either. If any man is going to be involved in this sort of a decision, it will be the guy I am with, if I ask his thoughts and he wishes to be involved for support or whatever, and my doctor, if they are a male, and we're talking over all my options. And that's it. Beyond that, it is nobody else's fucking business.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's not only the abortion and contraceptives debate that is boggling my mind - its also female sexuality in general.

I don't mean to derail the thread here if I do, but I just want to bring up something. A few days ago, I came across an article on abstinence-only sex-ed classes - which unfortunately are common in America - and from there started looking into the abstinence movement and why women choose to wait until their wedding night to have sex. Now, I have no problem if a woman chooses to wait until marriage. That's her decision, not mine. But I can't help but notice some young women make that decision based on the belief that unchaste women are used goods, and its make a man feel good that he was her first, and crazy stuff like that. Plus, the abstinence movement focuses on girls, hardly ever boys. Furthermore, I was reading a forum where women discussed being virgins until marriage and how they had no regrets, and this one woman said that her husband - who was also a virgin until marriage - was not the first boy that she kissed. She actually said she regrets that fact, especially since her husband is really upset that he was not her first kiss. What the hell? Seriously, what the hell is going on here? Its stories like these that make me embarrassed to be an American.

Hey, Aussies, Brits, Kiwis and Canucks! (if its OK I call you that ) Got any insane patriarchal stories for us Yanks? It would make this one feel so much better.