Paul McGuinness will be sad - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
sorry... yeah that was just some train-of-thought off-the-top-of-my-head gibberish that was

what i meant was, rather than monitoring everyone's internet use, which i think is a breach of civil liberties, can't they just make their own products more secure? like an electronic antitheft device or something (i'm not a technical person, just thinking out loud)

like in the real world, how they just put security tags on items in shops instead of getting MI5 to spy on EVERYONE, kind of thing?

is that any clearer?

jeesus do i really have to explain myself
That's been tried in the past, but then you have the issue of people wanting to rip the cds to their computers so that they can listen on their computers or iPods, which, if they've bought the music, they ought to be able to listen to it on any device of their choice.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 02:42 PM
^ true, but couldn't it be embedded with a licence type thing such as other software? so you're buying the rights to have it playable on say 3 devices?? cd player, ipod, computer? there has to be a way to make it work for everyone

Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post
^ true, but couldn't it be embedded with a licence type thing such as other software? so you're buying the rights to have it playable on say 3 devices?? cd player, ipod, computer? there has to be a way to make it work for everyone
That's pretty much what DRM did and it's not really an alternative. If you change your computer, have to format your HDD and store your songs elsewhere, or in other instances you can't just do that because many of the songs already have been copied three times.
There is also the sense that if you pay for a song to own it, you want to be able to do with it what you wish, not being bound by such limitations.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

there must be a solution other than surveillance... surely the computer wizards are clever enough to think of something?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post
. . . they need to get hold of some 17 year computer hacker to create a hack proof system and awwaaaay they go
Sadly enough, that's quite hard to achieve. THere were cds that had, I think it was called DRM security. BIG problem. The cds were secured so you couldn't copy them, BUT you could also not put them on your computer! So with all the iPods and other Mp3 players around these days, you'd have to go back to your trusty old discman instead! Pretty damn shitty!
I don't see a perfect solution on the horizon soon, at least the legal downloading thing by itunes and other shops is going decent. That was quite a good idea. If they're going to offer those in high quality(wav or flaq) I can see the sales rising even more.

And for the record: There's no such thing as illegal music downloading. DOWNloading is perfectly legal. UPloading music online is illegal, unless it's your own composition.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
And for the record: There's no such thing as illegal music downloading. DOWNloading is perfectly legal. UPloading music online is illegal, unless it's your own composition.
This holds true only for certain countries. In some countries it's illegal to download copyrighted stuff without obtaining the proper license.
This is one thing the media often gets wrong. Most of these proposals call for measurements against those who illegally upload stuff. Instead, the media usually reports about these things against those who download stuff. Big difference.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:42 PM
I think we should just go back to these:

Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #23
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
That's pretty much what DRM did and it's not really an alternative. If you change your computer, have to format your HDD and store your songs elsewhere, or in other instances you can't just do that because many of the songs already have been copied three times.
There is also the sense that if you pay for a song to own it, you want to be able to do with it what you wish, not being bound by such limitations.
back to the drawing board then had no idea it had already been trialled . . . and yeah, I agree that limitations to ownership would be a pain in the . . . maybe files can be embedded with a download only device ie . . . actually I haven't a clue but I really think there has to be a way around it . . . off to hunt down my techie friends and ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Sadly enough, that's quite hard to achieve. THere were cds that had, I think it was called DRM security. BIG problem. The cds were secured so you couldn't copy them, BUT you could also not put them on your computer! So with all the iPods and other Mp3 players around these days, you'd have to go back to your trusty old discman instead! Pretty damn shitty!
I don't see a perfect solution on the horizon soon, at least the legal downloading thing by itunes and other shops is going decent. That was quite a good idea. If they're going to offer those in high quality(wav or flaq) I can see the sales rising even more.

discmans . . . I kid, would seem kind of crazy to create something that can't actually be played on anything

as for the upload/download comment . . .I learnt something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
This holds true only for certain countries. In some countries it's illegal to download copyrighted stuff without obtaining the proper license.
This is one thing the media often gets wrong. Most of these proposals call for measurements against those who illegally upload stuff. Instead, the media usually reports about these things against those who download stuff. Big difference.
gotta love the media and their hand in spreading inaccuracies
Old 04-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Concerning the upload/download issue you need to check your country's laws on that issue. In Germany, to my knowledge it is illegal even to download copyrighted stuff as, quite logically I would think, it's a breach of copyright.
And since the common source for this kind of files is p2p networks you will almost always upload stuff as well, except of course if you limit your upload capacity to 0. But that, on the other hand, would make the whole system of p2p obsolete.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
sorry... yeah that was just some train-of-thought off-the-top-of-my-head gibberish that was

what i meant was, rather than monitoring everyone's internet use, which i think is a breach of civil liberties, can't they just make their own products more secure? like an electronic antitheft device or something (i'm not a technical person, just thinking out loud)

like in the real world, how they just put security tags on items in shops instead of getting MI5 to spy on EVERYONE, kind of thing?

is that any clearer?

jeesus do i really have to explain myself

Great point! Loved the MI5, reference.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

well, they voted on this again in France, and the law was passed last week... unbelievable...
Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Theft is theft

I don't understand why some people think the theft of music or movies is any different? It baffles me, it seems like we live in an entitled generation, where they feel like they just deserve free music.

We have surveillance cameras to try and prevent and catch theft, why not on the internet?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 11:42 PM
If they're so worried about royalties why are used CD and DVD sales ok?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
If they're so worried about royalties why are used CD and DVD sales ok?
Well it was at least bought already once...

And if I remember right Garth Brooks and a few others tried this law suit once...
Old 05-23-2009, 03:52 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Theft is theft

I don't understand why some people think the theft of music or movies is any different? It baffles me, it seems like we live in an entitled generation, where they feel like they just deserve free music.

We have surveillance cameras to try and prevent and catch theft, why not on the internet?
it's more about blanket surveillance, control, and our civil liberties being eroded