Pat Robertson Says Divorcing A Spouse With Alzheimer's Is Justifiable - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post

Relax. Useful back and forth has never been the standard here. If it happens, it's usually an accident. The thread doesn't break any rules, except boring you. And if I had known that was a rule, I would have been screaming VIOLATION! for many threads. The thread will die on it own or it won't. Ignore it or just sit back and wonder at the WhatTheFuckity about the man.
I am just so sick of the echo chamber in this forum. I want to debate, not complain about people who are not reading this and will not respond. Every post these days feels like it's arguing with a straw man. There is barely any exchange of ideas.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,685
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

I am just so sick of the echo chamber in this forum. I want to debate, not complain about people who are not reading this and will not respond. Every post these days feels like it's arguing with a straw man. There is barely any exchange of ideas.
I've felt this way for a long time. Some will complain that "their side" got piled on in here, and as that might be true on rare occasion, I think the real reason is that one side has almost completely lost their ability to intelligently debate. Not just in here, but in society in general. This current political environment is almost completely void of real debate.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Plenty of threads bore me here-not just in FYM either. Echo chamber of inside jokes, snarkfests, and more. I ignore them, I don't ask for them to be deleted.The participation in Interference as a whole has declined big time. Just look at the number of guests vs members on a daily basis, and it has been like that for a long time now. People got tired of certain things and left, others would rather talk about themselves on Facebook, whatever the reasons are. Thus the lack of any meaningful convo in FYM. I can't be held responsible for that, let alone just posting that. There are people besides him who have that attitude, unfortunately. Not the reason for the lack of meaningful debate in FYM, or the apparent decline of Interference.

I've been up since 7:30 shoveling and raking a roof. Now off to work to do some more productive things, so I won't be posting any more things that need to be deleted. No one's complaining about people not reading or responding, that wasn't her point and it's not mine either. Couldn't care less, honestly.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #49
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 11:22 PM
No, you came here for an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
There is barely any exchange of ideas.
Yes there is.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I am just so sick of the echo chamber in this forum. I want to debate, not complain about people who are not reading this and will not respond. Every post these days feels like it's arguing with a straw man. There is barely any exchange of ideas.
There's not much traffic in here and with a few exceptions, the remaining traffic, for whatever reason, is pretty much on the same side. Although I've seen some interesting threads and exchanges as well as some very insightful, challenging or engaging posts, we don't have much real dialogue or real exchanges here. We were able to, sometimes, when there was some civility instead of snarkiness between the two or three people with enough energy to carry on a lengthy conversation.

We could have nuanced debate between people who have similar viewpoints but different approaches, but it is harder to be snarky to somebody who is on your side. It is harder to win. It might sound polite if our goal is not to destroy.

You want to debate? Start a topic. It's unreasonable to expect other people to carry a ball you're dropping.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #51
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 11:22 PM
those of you who feel like the "other side" is becoming an echo chamber and not actually engaging in any debate always have the option of ignoring threads you don't like. then they'll fall to the bottom of the page, then page two, etc. and also like bonossaint said, if anyone wants more debate on this forum, start threads for debating.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
others would rather talk about themselves on Facebook
Hey! I resent that comment!

I don't talk about myself on Facebook -- I talk about other people!
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra

Hey! I resent that comment!

I don't talk about myself on Facebook -- I talk about other people!
I'm not happy with that comment either. It's too much of a generalization toward anyone who uses social media and it's unfair and kind of condescending. I'm under the impression that you've never used Facebook, MrsS, and I'm not telling you that you should. I just think it's not right that you pass judgments like that when you usually don't do that sort of thing.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I'm not happy with that comment either. It's too much of a generalization toward anyone who uses social media and it's unfair and kind of condescending. I'm under the impression that you've never used Facebook, MrsS, and I'm not telling you that you should. I just think it's not right that you pass judgments like that when you usually don't do that sort of thing.
Well now I'll say relax. Deep speculated once that that could be a reason for the decline of Interference, and I think it's perfectly possible. Before places like Facebook, online forums were much more popular. It's just a simple fact, just like it's a simple fact that ONE reason places like Facebook are so popular is that people like to talk about themselves. There have been actual scientific studies with those results, so it's not just my opinion pulled out of thin air. Yeah, and talk about other people too I'm sure. It's simply human nature-so there's no reason to be so defensive about it, or offended by it. It's not condescending- it's backed up by scientific research, and by the lack of member participation here . It's just one reason for it, not the only reason. I'm sure if they did a survey Int could find out the reasons why, if they ever wanted to.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Well now I'll say relax. Deep speculated once that that could be a reason for the decline of Interference, and I think it's perfectly possible. Before places like Facebook, online forums were much more popular. It's just a simple fact, just like it's a simple fact that ONE reason places like Facebook are so popular is that people like to talk about themselves. There have been actual scientific studies with those results, so it's not just my opinion pulled out of thin air. Yeah, and talk about other people too I'm sure. It's simply human nature-so there's no reason to be so defensive about it, or offended by it. It's not condescending- it's backed up by scientific research, and by the lack of member participation here . It's just one reason for it, not the only reason. I'm sure if they did a survey Int could find out the reasons why, if they ever wanted to.

The reason why I seem "offended" is because you've made this kind of speculation more than once before, and I just find it unfair.

I've Googled around and found no report of Internet forums being more popular since before Facebook. If you have any links, please show them.

I also don't think its accurate to say social media is the place to go for people to talk about themselves. Look at Zoo Confessionals or anywhere else on this forum, or any other forum. A lot of people are talking about themselves there too.

Also, I do think saying something like people go to Facebook just to talk about themselves is a generalization, because there are many who do not frequently post things about themselves. I don't, and the majority of my friends don't; we are moderate on Facebook.

And maybe its me, but I just feel like your generalization is being said with disdain.

As for Interference declining, who knows why exactly. I'm on other forums and they are doing fine as always.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 12:22 AM
You're reading all of that into it, honestly I don't care one way or the other. The research has to do with narcissism and Facebook, and I'm not making up the word narcissism or using it with disdain or condescension, that's just the word they use. The research I was referring to was not about forums vs Facebook, I just think that could be a common sense conclusion. I've seen several people here say that Facebook is one reason why they spend much less time here. Of course people talk about themselves here, but I would think the decline has to do with lack of interest in talking about ideas vs people. You can see exactly that on numerous threads on Interference
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
You're reading all of that into it, honestly I don't care one way or the other. The research has to do with narcissism and Facebook, and I'm not making up the word narcissism or using it with disdain or condescension, that's just the word they use. The research I was referring to was not about forums vs Facebook, I just think that could be a common sense conclusion. I've seen several people here say that Facebook is one reason why they spend much less time here. Of course people talk about themselves here, but I would think the decline has to do with lack of interest in talking about ideas vs people. You can see exactly that on numerous threads on Interference
I never said you were making up the term narcissism.

I've seen those studies that link social media to narcissism, but is it true for all users? Of course not.

For you to say Facebook is behind the decline of forums is a theory, not a fact. Unless there is proof that is the case, honestly I won't take your belief seriously.

I disagree with a lot of what you say about social media, and in true FYM form, I'm explaining why I disagree.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Do you honestly think it's worth debating? I don't. I'm not saying Facebook is the only place where people are narcissistic or like to talk about themselves. Never said it's true for all users either, so no need to take it personally. Didn't think it was necessary to clarify it, but I will officially on the record. I think it stands to reason that the more time people spend on Facebook, the less time they have to spend here or in any other online discussion forums. Even if someone has 24/7 to do both. Hardly think that's an unreasonable conclusion. That's all I have to say, because honestly I think it's ridiculous to continue talking about it. And the technical problems with posting here today are making it even more so.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Well, when you make a statement a few times like that, eventually someone will respond.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I've felt this way for a long time. Some will complain that "their side" got piled on in here, and as that might be true on rare occasion, I think the real reason is that one side has almost completely lost their ability to intelligently debate. Not just in here, but in society in general. This current political environment is almost completely void of real debate.
I wish they would post. They don't anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Yes there is.
Where is it? All I see is a bunch of leftists going "Oh man, look what these Republicans did now! What an outrage!" Like, is that someone's idea of fun? I know this forum has always leaned left but now it just seems that everyone agrees with everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
There's not much traffic in here and with a few exceptions, the remaining traffic, for whatever reason, is pretty much on the same side. Although I've seen some interesting threads and exchanges as well as some very insightful, challenging or engaging posts, we don't have much real dialogue or real exchanges here. We were able to, sometimes, when there was some civility instead of snarkiness between the two or three people with enough energy to carry on a lengthy conversation.

We could have nuanced debate between people who have similar viewpoints but different approaches, but it is harder to be snarky to somebody who is on your side. It is harder to win. It might sound polite if our goal is not to destroy.

You want to debate? Start a topic. It's unreasonable to expect other people to carry a ball you're dropping.
We have topics. There is a thread about the GOP. Do you know what's in it? No Republicans or conservatives. Just a bunch of liberals bitching about the right. I mean, we can't force people of a different viewpoint to post, but is it not also somewhat the fault of the people here not making anyone feel welcome?

It just feels like there's a collective piling on here with liberals who want to bitch and moan about conservatives over and over again, essentially unchallenged.

So, what ball am I dropping? Am I supposed to be deep and intentionally take a devil's advocate approach that borders on trolling? I think the GOP is nuts, but if we're going to talk about that, I'd like to be challenged by someone who genuinely feels differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
those of you who feel like the "other side" is becoming an echo chamber and not actually engaging in any debate always have the option of ignoring threads you don't like. then they'll fall to the bottom of the page, then page two, etc. and also like bonossaint said, if anyone wants more debate on this forum, start threads for debating.
That's not what I said at all. In fact the opposite: the people on "my side" are the echo chamber.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com