Pat Robertson Says Divorcing A Spouse With Alzheimer's Is Justifiable - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:55 PM
As a believer in the message of Jesus, I recommend that you ignore
most of what you see on "so called Christain Television."

Sad, that the Good News gets so twisted.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
45:33

Local Time: 02:55 PM
On the contrary, I think evangelical television is fucking hilarious.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #33
The Male

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
My grandfather divorced my grandmother after she got MS still loved her, made sure she was very well looked after and moved on with his life.
Not to be judgmental, but if this is the precise order of the events (without leaving anything out), it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

It's also not really the same thing, since MS is an autoimmune disorder and Alzheimers affects personality and behavior drastically. You're hardly even married to the same person, and I get that it becomes a grey area. Can't really see any justification for leaving someone because of their autoimmune issues.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
45:33

Local Time: 02:55 PM
She went into a nursing home. Her mind slipped. Was paralysed below the waist. Needed constant care and attention. She wasn't the same person. People have got divorced for much less. And I'll thank you not to comment on it.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #35
The Male

Sorry Cobbs, take it easy on me, I was very clear that I was commenting without all the facts and stuck a qualifier on about every other word. Personality changes are really common with MS but I've never heard of anyone having it that badly (we're comparing it to Alzheimer's here) so I didn't assume that was the case. Didn't mean to sound like an ass.

The purpose of this thread is to pile on Pat Robertson for being a hypocrite in light of his piety, but I do think most of us would struggle severely in this situation. Obviously personality changes are a major factor in this case, and would be a deciding factor for me personally, which is why I brought it up. It would be easier to stick by the person when their behavior matches that of the person you married. So, I dunno, I sympathize with his argument, though his religion makes it irrelevant.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Huffington Post

Pat Robertson said that "awful-looking" women are to blame for a romance-deficient marriages.

It all started when a 17-year-old boy wrote to Maxim magazine asking for advice on how to get his videogame-loving dad to pay more attention to his mom. Robertson decided to offer the teen some advice of his own during a recent episode of the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club."

"It may be your mom isn't as sweet as you think she is," said the 82-year-old. "She may be kind of hard-nosed."

Robertson then went on to to say that "awful-looking" women can be to blame for certain marital problems:

A woman came to a preacher that I know, and she was awful looking. I mean, her hair was all torn up and she was overweight and looked terrible, clothes bad and everything. And she said, 'Oh, Reverend, what can I do? My husband has started to drink.' And the preacher looked at her and said, 'Madam, if I was married to you I'd start to drink too.' We need to cultivate romance, darling! ... You always have to keep that spark of love alive. It just isn't something to just lie there, 'Well, I'm married to him so he's got to take me slatternly looking.' You've got to fix yourself up, look pretty.

This is not the first time Robertson has blamed women's appearances for marital problems.

As Think Progress notes, during a 2010 episode of "The 700 Club," a caller asked Robertson how to get her husband to stop flirting with other women.

"First thing is you need to make yourself as attractive as possible and don’t hassle him about it," the Christian televangelist said. "And why is he doing this? Well, he’s doing it because he wants affirmation that he is still a man, that he is attractive — and he gets an affirmation of himself ... But you need to not drive him away or start hassling and hounding on him, but make yourself as beautiful as you can, as fun as you can, and say let’s go out here, let’s go there, let’s go to the other thing."

He has also joked about wife-beating as a means of gaining respect, the New York Daily News notes.

Robertson has been married to his wife, Adelia "Dede," since 1954.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Oh, sigh.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

How did he find that letter to Maxim? Maybe his wife isn't attractive enough and was hassling and hounding him, so he needed to read it?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Kind of wonder what his answer is to a woman not paying attention to her husband.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
He has also joked about wife-beating as a means of gaining respect, the New York Daily News notes.

Robertson has been married to his wife, Adelia "Dede," since 1954.
...um....

Gee. Such intelligent advice being dispensed there ! So, do tell, Robertson, what exactly constitutes "awful-looking", in your opinion? And does that work the other way, then, with "awful-looking" men?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Can we just delete this thread and not talk about Pat Robertson? This isn't going to generate any useful back-and-forth because no one on this forum defends him.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Seriously. What else can be said other than "fuck that guy"?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Can we just delete this thread and not talk about Pat Robertson? This isn't going to generate any useful back-and-forth because no one on this forum defends him.
Relax. Useful back and forth has never been the standard here. If it happens, it's usually an accident. The thread doesn't break any rules, except boring you. And if I had known that was a rule, I would have been screaming VIOLATION! for many threads. The thread will die on it own or it won't. Ignore it or just sit back and wonder at the WhatTheFuckity about the man.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Seriously. What else can be said other than "fuck that guy"?
He's courageously defending the great American tradition of misogyny that them young whipper-snapper hippie atheist "progressives" are trying to pry from God-fearing Real Americans.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Well there have been some that defend him in here. But beyond that like BonoSaint said, back and forth is no longer the standard in here and has never been a qualifier for a thread, and the truth is he may not be defended strongly in here but he is still strongly defended outside of FYM. He is still a strong figure in certain conservative circles.