Pat Robertson Says Divorcing A Spouse With Alzheimer's Is Justifiable - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:12 AM
I don't think I would have any problem with the healthy spouse seeking outside companionship/relationship once the Alzheimers becomes severe. But I would hope that he/she would visit, would provide some kind of weekly constancy, perhaps. Look in on the facility, make sure the spouse is being treated well.

You're right about the child. It was an exaggeration in a way. I was equating the vulnerability, but it wasn't analogous.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:12 AM
oh i think it would be just awful, to ditch your spouse, the love of your life, in sickness, in their biggest time of need... abandonment... i reckon it would take quite a hard-hearted bastard to do that tbh!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Someone's not following the golden rule. Plus anyone who doesn't want to take care of their loved ones must be a narcissist. Fucking embarrassing. We're all going to die of something, so how do we want to be treated?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #19
45:33

Local Time: 07:12 PM
So you're both saying that if you divorce someone in poor health, that means you are unequivocally, inarguably a cold, heartless asshole? shades of grey people
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

no, not "in poor health" but "because of poor health"

if that were the only reason, then yes... and i would add "selfish" to the mix as well

although, i would think, for someone to do such a thing, there must have been underlying issues in the relationship...

i guess if your spouse had been a real bastard to you all your marriage, you would have very good reason to ditch them at any time

but if that person was the love of your life, to divorce them because of illness is just tragic not to mention inconsistent... and i don't think anyone would divorce the love of their life, if they truly were that, because they were ill tbh...

i knew someone who's wife divorced him because she'd just retired as a teacher, he was unemployed, and she was required by law, as his spouse, to pay for her mother-in-law's retirement home, which costs a fortune... anyway, the mother-in-law in question had truly been a real bitch to her daughter-in-law the whole time she'd known her, and had made her life hell over the years, so she basically said, stuff it, i haven't worked my whole life to end up struggling in my retirement having to support this horrible old woman financially, and the only other option was to divorce her husband, so she did! really sad story - he was heartbroken, but i can totally see her point though lol!!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
So you're both saying that if you divorce someone in poor health, that means you are unequivocally, inarguably a cold, heartless asshole? shades of grey people
No that's not what I'm saying. Divorce should be based on physical and/or emotional abuse. It can also be about addictions and bad behaviour. Dumping someone because of a disease that's not their own fault is selfish. It also shows that people who are too comfortable in their lifestyle get so spoiled that when the chips are down they don't want to own up to the responsibility. When you dump somebody who has a serious medical condition you are basically leaving them to the "kindess of strangers" who don't have the same motivation that a loving spouse SHOULD have.

Having a personal experience with Alzheimers I can tell you those who help their family do just fine and don't regret it when it's all over. I'm happy I made a sacrifice to help out. It's not all negative in taking care of someone who you care about. Life isn't all about a cool lifestyle until you kick the bucket. Life ebbs and flows and throws circumstances you won't expect and it's a part of life to adapt. When I'm old I hope that I will be taken care of and not abused or neglected.

Do I have to invoke Gandalf?

Frodo and Gandalf - YouTube
1:33
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Maybe I'm a heartless bitch but I don't see it as divorcing someone "because of an illness" I see it as divorcing someone because they are no longer "there". Shades of gray....I see a difference in, say, divorcing someone who becomes wheelchair bound than divorcing someone who no longer even recognizes you and needs round-the-clock hospice care. I don't think that the marriage itself is the responsibility of the healthy spouse, but making sure the person in hospice is comfortable and well cared for. If for some reason I became a vegetable and was kept alive, I would hope to God that Phil would move on with his life and find someone else who he could actually have a relationship with and be happy. Even if he didn't get an actual divorce why would I care that he be in a relationship with someone else? He deserves to have a life and a family.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Couldn't you say that someone who has depression is no longer there? Depression is hell to deal with, literally. You are not the same person at all. Or a myriad of other illnesses? But I can see it from the side you are talking about too.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Couldn't we have a 50000000 page thread discussing the possibility of every ailment? Who knows..... Neither I or my spouse suffer from depression so I can't really say how I would deal with it. All I know is that regardless of what he would do, I would not want my spouse to sit there at my bedside for years because of some piece of paper. I guess I'm not that obsessed with the "sanctity of marriage" or whatever. I see no reason why a spouse could not move on and find another relationship while still assuming some if not all financial responsibility for the well-being of the ex and even still visiting. I do not see the benefit for either person in remaining married just because. The marriage certificate alone does not dictate how people treat each other. I've seen people treat their exes better than other people treat their spouses. People will do what they will do because of how they are. I don't think a marriage certificate can or should change that.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Um ok, I just brought up a point..just a thought. Nevermind.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Maybe he wouldn't want to be sitting with you just because of a piece of paper? Maybe he would actually want to be there? I have cared for a loved one, and I'm so glad I did, just to have those moments with her while she was alive. I would give anything to be able to sit by her beside one more time.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Um ok, I just brought up a point..just a thought. Nevermind.
I'm not mad at you I think the whole thing is stupid, people (Robertson, et al) who think they can preach down about when it's OK to do this and not OK to do this. Who can you marry, who can you divorce...bla bla bla. Everyone's experiences are different, everyone's relationships are different. I just don't get the whole obsession these "types" have with mandating such personal aspects of peoples' lives as if they somehow possess some higher level of knowledge and wisdom that gives them the right to boss others around.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #28
The Fly

Pat Robertson is an ass.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Pat Robertson Tells Man to Beat his Wife, Move to Saudi Arabia - YouTube

He's at it again
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I saw that one yesterday. He's a disgrace. I believe I also saw him sitting behind Romney at one of Romney's campaign events, saw a clip on the news. Why he'd want to be associated with him in any way, shape, or form-I have no idea.