Pat Robertson Says Divorcing A Spouse With Alzheimer's Is Justifiable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a believer in the message of Jesus, I recommend that you ignore
most of what you see on "so called Christain Television."

Sad, that the Good News gets so twisted.

My grandfather divorced my grandmother after she got MS :shrug: still loved her, made sure she was very well looked after and moved on with his life.

Not to be judgmental, but if this is the precise order of the events (without leaving anything out), it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

It's also not really the same thing, since MS is an autoimmune disorder and Alzheimers affects personality and behavior drastically. You're hardly even married to the same person, and I get that it becomes a grey area. Can't really see any justification for leaving someone because of their autoimmune issues.

She went into a nursing home. Her mind slipped. Was paralysed below the waist. Needed constant care and attention. She wasn't the same person. People have got divorced for much less. And I'll thank you not to comment on it.

Sorry Cobbs, take it easy on me, I was very clear that I was commenting without all the facts and stuck a qualifier on about every other word. Personality changes are really common with MS but I've never heard of anyone having it that badly (we're comparing it to Alzheimer's here) so I didn't assume that was the case. Didn't mean to sound like an ass.

The purpose of this thread is to pile on Pat Robertson for being a hypocrite in light of his piety, but I do think most of us would struggle severely in this situation. Obviously personality changes are a major factor in this case, and would be a deciding factor for me personally, which is why I brought it up. It would be easier to stick by the person when their behavior matches that of the person you married. So, I dunno, I sympathize with his argument, though his religion makes it irrelevant.

Huffington Post

Pat Robertson said that "awful-looking" women are to blame for a romance-deficient marriages.

It all started when a 17-year-old boy wrote to Maxim magazine asking for advice on how to get his videogame-loving dad to pay more attention to his mom. Robertson decided to offer the teen some advice of his own during a recent episode of the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club."

"It may be your mom isn't as sweet as you think she is," said the 82-year-old. "She may be kind of hard-nosed."

Robertson then went on to to say that "awful-looking" women can be to blame for certain marital problems:

A woman came to a preacher that I know, and she was awful looking. I mean, her hair was all torn up and she was overweight and looked terrible, clothes bad and everything. And she said, 'Oh, Reverend, what can I do? My husband has started to drink.' And the preacher looked at her and said, 'Madam, if I was married to you I'd start to drink too.' We need to cultivate romance, darling! ... You always have to keep that spark of love alive. It just isn't something to just lie there, 'Well, I'm married to him so he's got to take me slatternly looking.' You've got to fix yourself up, look pretty.

This is not the first time Robertson has blamed women's appearances for marital problems.

As Think Progress notes, during a 2010 episode of "The 700 Club," a caller asked Robertson how to get her husband to stop flirting with other women.

"First thing is you need to make yourself as attractive as possible and don’t hassle him about it," the Christian televangelist said. "And why is he doing this? Well, he’s doing it because he wants affirmation that he is still a man, that he is attractive — and he gets an affirmation of himself ... But you need to not drive him away or start hassling and hounding on him, but make yourself as beautiful as you can, as fun as you can, and say let’s go out here, let’s go there, let’s go to the other thing."

He has also joked about wife-beating as a means of gaining respect, the New York Daily News notes.

Robertson has been married to his wife, Adelia "Dede," since 1954.

Kind of wonder what his answer is to a woman not paying attention to her husband.

He has also joked about wife-beating as a means of gaining respect, the New York Daily News notes.

Robertson has been married to his wife, Adelia "Dede," since 1954.

...um...:scratch:.

Gee. Such intelligent advice being dispensed there :happy:! So, do tell, Robertson, what exactly constitutes "awful-looking", in your opinion? And does that work the other way, then, with "awful-looking" men?

Can we just delete this thread and not talk about Pat Robertson? This isn't going to generate any useful back-and-forth because no one on this forum defends him.

Can we just delete this thread and not talk about Pat Robertson? This isn't going to generate any useful back-and-forth because no one on this forum defends him.

Relax. Useful back and forth has never been the standard here. If it happens, it's usually an accident. The thread doesn't break any rules, except boring you. And if I had known that was a rule, I would have been screaming VIOLATION! for many threads. The thread will die on it own or it won't. Ignore it or just sit back and wonder at the WhatTheFuckity about the man.

Seriously. What else can be said other than "fuck that guy"?

He's courageously defending the great American tradition of misogyny that them young whipper-snapper hippie atheist "progressives" are trying to pry from God-fearing Real Americans.

Well there have been some that defend him in here. But beyond that like BonoSaint said, back and forth is no longer the standard in here and has never been a qualifier for a thread, and the truth is he may not be defended strongly in here but he is still strongly defended outside of FYM. He is still a strong figure in certain conservative circles.

Relax. Useful back and forth has never been the standard here. If it happens, it's usually an accident. The thread doesn't break any rules, except boring you. And if I had known that was a rule, I would have been screaming VIOLATION! for many threads. The thread will die on it own or it won't. Ignore it or just sit back and wonder at the WhatTheFuckity about the man.

I am just so sick of the echo chamber in this forum. I want to debate, not complain about people who are not reading this and will not respond. Every post these days feels like it's arguing with a straw man. There is barely any exchange of ideas.

I am just so sick of the echo chamber in this forum. I want to debate, not complain about people who are not reading this and will not respond. Every post these days feels like it's arguing with a straw man. There is barely any exchange of ideas.

I've felt this way for a long time. Some will complain that "their side" got piled on in here, and as that might be true on rare occasion, I think the real reason is that one side has almost completely lost their ability to intelligently debate. Not just in here, but in society in general. This current political environment is almost completely void of real debate.

Plenty of threads bore me here-not just in FYM either. Echo chamber of inside jokes, snarkfests, and more. I ignore them, I don't ask for them to be deleted.The participation in Interference as a whole has declined big time. Just look at the number of guests vs members on a daily basis, and it has been like that for a long time now. People got tired of certain things and left, others would rather talk about themselves on Facebook, whatever the reasons are. Thus the lack of any meaningful convo in FYM. I can't be held responsible for that, let alone just posting that. There are people besides him who have that attitude, unfortunately. Not the reason for the lack of meaningful debate in FYM, or the apparent decline of Interference.

I've been up since 7:30 shoveling and raking a roof. Now off to work to do some more productive things, so I won't be posting any more things that need to be deleted. No one's complaining about people not reading or responding, that wasn't her point and it's not mine either. Couldn't care less, honestly.

There's not much traffic in here and with a few exceptions, the remaining traffic, for whatever reason, is pretty much on the same side. Although I've seen some interesting threads and exchanges as well as some very insightful, challenging or engaging posts, we don't have much real dialogue or real exchanges here. We were able to, sometimes, when there was some civility instead of snarkiness between the two or three people with enough energy to carry on a lengthy conversation.

We could have nuanced debate between people who have similar viewpoints but different approaches, but it is harder to be snarky to somebody who is on your side. It is harder to win. It might sound polite if our goal is not to destroy.

You want to debate? Start a topic. It's unreasonable to expect other people to carry a ball you're dropping.

those of you who feel like the "other side" is becoming an echo chamber and not actually engaging in any debate always have the option of ignoring threads you don't like. then they'll fall to the bottom of the page, then page two, etc. :shrug: and also like bonossaint said, if anyone wants more debate on this forum, start threads for debating.

indra said:
Hey! I resent that comment! :angry:

I don't talk about myself on Facebook -- I talk about other people! ;)

I'm not happy with that comment either. It's too much of a generalization toward anyone who uses social media and it's unfair and kind of condescending. I'm under the impression that you've never used Facebook, MrsS, and I'm not telling you that you should. I just think it's not right that you pass judgments like that when you usually don't do that sort of thing.

I'm not happy with that comment either. It's too much of a generalization toward anyone who uses social media and it's unfair and kind of condescending. I'm under the impression that you've never used Facebook, MrsS, and I'm not telling you that you should. I just think it's not right that you pass judgments like that when you usually don't do that sort of thing.

Well now I'll say relax. Deep speculated once that that could be a reason for the decline of Interference, and I think it's perfectly possible. Before places like Facebook, online forums were much more popular. It's just a simple fact, just like it's a simple fact that ONE reason places like Facebook are so popular is that people like to talk about themselves. There have been actual scientific studies with those results, so it's not just my opinion pulled out of thin air. Yeah, and talk about other people too I'm sure. It's simply human nature-so there's no reason to be so defensive about it, or offended by it. It's not condescending- it's backed up by scientific research, and by the lack of member participation here . It's just one reason for it, not the only reason. I'm sure if they did a survey Int could find out the reasons why, if they ever wanted to.

Well now I'll say relax. Deep speculated once that that could be a reason for the decline of Interference, and I think it's perfectly possible. Before places like Facebook, online forums were much more popular. It's just a simple fact, just like it's a simple fact that ONE reason places like Facebook are so popular is that people like to talk about themselves. There have been actual scientific studies with those results, so it's not just my opinion pulled out of thin air. Yeah, and talk about other people too I'm sure. It's simply human nature-so there's no reason to be so defensive about it, or offended by it. It's not condescending- it's backed up by scientific research, and by the lack of member participation here . It's just one reason for it, not the only reason. I'm sure if they did a survey Int could find out the reasons why, if they ever wanted to.

The reason why I seem "offended" is because you've made this kind of speculation more than once before, and I just find it unfair.

I've Googled around and found no report of Internet forums being more popular since before Facebook. If you have any links, please show them.

I also don't think its accurate to say social media is the place to go for people to talk about themselves. Look at Zoo Confessionals or anywhere else on this forum, or any other forum. A lot of people are talking about themselves there too.

Also, I do think saying something like people go to Facebook just to talk about themselves is a generalization, because there are many who do not frequently post things about themselves. I don't, and the majority of my friends don't; we are moderate on Facebook.

And maybe its me, but I just feel like your generalization is being said with disdain.

As for Interference declining, who knows why exactly. I'm on other forums and they are doing fine as always.

You're reading all of that into it, honestly I don't care one way or the other. The research has to do with narcissism and Facebook, and I'm not making up the word narcissism or using it with disdain or condescension, that's just the word they use. The research I was referring to was not about forums vs Facebook, I just think that could be a common sense conclusion. I've seen several people here say that Facebook is one reason why they spend much less time here. Of course people talk about themselves here, but I would think the decline has to do with lack of interest in talking about ideas vs people. You can see exactly that on numerous threads on Interference :shrug:

You're reading all of that into it, honestly I don't care one way or the other. The research has to do with narcissism and Facebook, and I'm not making up the word narcissism or using it with disdain or condescension, that's just the word they use. The research I was referring to was not about forums vs Facebook, I just think that could be a common sense conclusion. I've seen several people here say that Facebook is one reason why they spend much less time here. Of course people talk about themselves here, but I would think the decline has to do with lack of interest in talking about ideas vs people. You can see exactly that on numerous threads on Interference :shrug:

I never said you were making up the term narcissism.

I've seen those studies that link social media to narcissism, but is it true for all users? Of course not.

For you to say Facebook is behind the decline of forums is a theory, not a fact. Unless there is proof that is the case, honestly I won't take your belief seriously.

I disagree with a lot of what you say about social media, and in true FYM form, I'm explaining why I disagree.

Do you honestly think it's worth debating? I don't. I'm not saying Facebook is the only place where people are narcissistic or like to talk about themselves. Never said it's true for all users either, so no need to take it personally. Didn't think it was necessary to clarify it, but I will officially on the record. I think it stands to reason that the more time people spend on Facebook, the less time they have to spend here or in any other online discussion forums. Even if someone has 24/7 to do both. Hardly think that's an unreasonable conclusion. That's all I have to say, because honestly I think it's ridiculous to continue talking about it. And the technical problems with posting here today are making it even more so.

Well, when you make a statement a few times like that, eventually someone will respond.

I've felt this way for a long time. Some will complain that "their side" got piled on in here, and as that might be true on rare occasion, I think the real reason is that one side has almost completely lost their ability to intelligently debate. Not just in here, but in society in general. This current political environment is almost completely void of real debate.
I wish they would post. They don't anymore.
Yes there is.
Where is it? All I see is a bunch of leftists going "Oh man, look what these Republicans did now! What an outrage!" Like, is that someone's idea of fun? I know this forum has always leaned left but now it just seems that everyone agrees with everyone.
There's not much traffic in here and with a few exceptions, the remaining traffic, for whatever reason, is pretty much on the same side. Although I've seen some interesting threads and exchanges as well as some very insightful, challenging or engaging posts, we don't have much real dialogue or real exchanges here. We were able to, sometimes, when there was some civility instead of snarkiness between the two or three people with enough energy to carry on a lengthy conversation.

We could have nuanced debate between people who have similar viewpoints but different approaches, but it is harder to be snarky to somebody who is on your side. It is harder to win. It might sound polite if our goal is not to destroy.

You want to debate? Start a topic. It's unreasonable to expect other people to carry a ball you're dropping.
We have topics. There is a thread about the GOP. Do you know what's in it? No Republicans or conservatives. Just a bunch of liberals bitching about the right. I mean, we can't force people of a different viewpoint to post, but is it not also somewhat the fault of the people here not making anyone feel welcome?

It just feels like there's a collective piling on here with liberals who want to bitch and moan about conservatives over and over again, essentially unchallenged.

So, what ball am I dropping? Am I supposed to be deep and intentionally take a devil's advocate approach that borders on trolling? I think the GOP is nuts, but if we're going to talk about that, I'd like to be challenged by someone who genuinely feels differently.
those of you who feel like the "other side" is becoming an echo chamber and not actually engaging in any debate always have the option of ignoring threads you don't like. then they'll fall to the bottom of the page, then page two, etc. :shrug: and also like bonossaint said, if anyone wants more debate on this forum, start threads for debating.
That's not what I said at all. In fact the opposite: the people on "my side" are the echo chamber.

Back
Top Bottom