Parents Want Jail Time For MySpace Hoax - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Well she admitted in the police report that she created the false identity on MySpace. I don't know what else is in the police report but she confessed far more than that to the neighbor. That's a good start. It most definitely should be a punishable crime. I don't know exactly what the federal online harassment law is.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6024695.html

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Well she admitted in the police report that she created the false identity on MySpace. I don't know what else is in the police report but she confessed far more than that to the neighbor. That's a good start. It most definitely should be a punishable crime. I don't know exactly what the federal online harassment law is.
Yes but if you've seen enough episodes of Law & Order confessions aren't always "proof".

We'll see...
Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #19
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:43 PM
I don't think Lori Drew was merely being an "asshole," and I think this case goes well beyond ordinary "bullying," let alone assuming false identities for nonmalicious purposes. It's the elaborate, calculated, protracted sadism of the whole thing that I really find chilling. OK, granted, lots of parents get waaaaay too identified with their teenagers' social dramas, and it's not unheard of for them to blow a gasket, forget they're adults, and go off a one-time vile rant against their kid's "enemies," whether in person or via email or whatever. But this woman actually went to the trouble of hiring another teenager to help her set up the needed online facades, solicited other kids who carpooled with her daughter to get them to join in on the "fun," and spent six weeks playing cat-and-mouse with this girl to build up the conceit before snapping the rubber band back the other way. It would be the very, very rare fellow teenager who would have the manipulative savvy, the studied persistence, and the subtlety to pull off something like that, especially if they were doing it out of vengefulness. Really, except for the calculatedness of it all, it sounds almost sociopathic.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I don't think Lori Drew was merely being an "asshole," and I think this case goes well beyond ordinary "bullying," let alone assuming false identities for nonmalicious purposes. It's the elaborate, calculated, protracted sadism of the whole thing that I really find chilling. OK, granted, lots of parents get waaaaay too identified with their teenagers' social dramas, and it's not unheard of for them to blow a gasket, forget they're adults, and go off a one-time vile rant against their kid's "enemies," whether in person or via email or whatever. But this woman actually went to the trouble of hiring another teenager to help her set up the needed online facades, solicited other kids who carpooled with her daughter to get them to join in on the "fun," and spent six weeks playing cat-and-mouse with this girl to build up the conceit before snapping the rubber band back the other way. It would be the very, very rare fellow teenager who would have the manipulative savvy, the studied persistence, and the subtlety to pull off something like that, especially if they were doing it out of vengefulness. Really, except for the calculatedness of it all, it sounds almost sociopathic.
Word to your post, Yolland. It's one thing to say to your child, "Yes, your nemisis is a nasty person" and leave it at that, and quite another to actually set out to ruin a child's life with such maliciousness and calculation knowing that child has issues with depression and suicide. My mind can't wrap around why an adult and a PARENT would do something like this. It's so disgusting.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #22
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
I just can't get over the fact that someone who is at least probably 15 years older than me, if not more, had the audacity to do something like this. OK wait, that ANYONE would have the audacity to do this, but....damn.
I don't have kids yet, but no matter how bad someone hurt them, my husband and I would NEVER teach them to seek revenge.

I can't believe that the neighbor that did this doesnt feel more remorse. I read an article a few days ago where she stated that she had involvement and she was sorry that someone "lost their kid", but that was it. She flat out said she felt no responsibility for this what-so-ever.

How in the world would she feel if the roles were reversed and her precious little daughter were the one that hanged herself and someone said flat out they didn't care that their actions, the actions of an adult, brought this on.

I'd want the person to serve jail time as well. I'd want them to be locked up and not able to corrupt or hurt more kids the way they already had. It always makes me wonder why people sue other people for absurd amounts of money in cases like this, and the fact that the girls family so far has not sued this lady, I think says alot for them.
All they want is for her to be arrested, at least they're not going after her for 12 million dollars.

That's what I dont get. These people that would sue someone for that much money......why???? Yes I understand the cost of a funeral, the trauma fee's, etc. but I knew someone that was in a car accident and was the only survivor. The other two in the other car were 16 and 17 and they were 2 times the legal limit of being drunk and were going 75 down an on ramp on a highway. Their parents tried suing for 125million dollars for the "emotional damages".
Even if your children would have made that much money in their lifetime.....
Society is so screwed up today.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow. Just wow.

I think there is a lesson here for kids never to take the internet too seriously, because there are despicable people out there, liars, sociopaths, psycho nutcases. This is not at all the thirteen year old girl's fault, and that's not my point. I mean, she's 13 years old for God's sake. But hopefully, other kids will consider the source, or lack thereof, when on the internet in the future.

As for this woman, it's a difficult situation as to how they can charge her, I agree, but there are laws she's broken here that she can be charged with, though none of which will be enough.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Megan

The police reports are on Smoking Gun

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...l?link=rssfeed
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #25
New Yorker

that's so ridiculous that she wanted to to "relieve herself by telling the Meiers of her involvement". Seriously...how in the world can that be relieving? Yeah, ok to admit it, to a point, but COME ON! You should feel as much guilt and remorse as anyone.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
But how could you ever define this as a crime? You can't say 'because the bullying led to a suicide' it can now be tried as a crime, because hundreds of experts would say there are many other factors with teen suicide. And how would you define bullying? Half of interference may be under investigation using some people's definition of bullying.

It's a slippery slope. And this case will definately tug on people's heartstrings, it does mine, but I just can't see how it will ever be possible to convict crimes like these.

People can claim stolen passwords, it was an obvious joke, multiple computer personalities, etc...
Exactly. It's a tricky situation.

That said, I'd like to see the woman (I'm not calling her a "lady" 'cause, let's face it, she is far from one) get punished just so she can maybe, just maybe, get it in her head that this kind of behavior is beyond stupid. Unfortunately, though, if you're that demented to do something like that to begin with, I don't know if you're capable of feeling remorse.

Angela
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

This woman is a nutbag and a half. I have a hard time believing that somebody that disturbed would not have done similarly fucked up things in the past. Who knows what else they could uncover about her if they dug a bit deeper?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Such a heartbreaking story...the woman is obviously deranged, or was at the time. I can't imagine how the girl's parents feel. There should be some sort of recourse...if not legal, then perhaps the greatest punishment would be to block internet access for this woman from all providers.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

who was it that said something like:

"whether good or bad, people rarely get what they deserve."

this woman won't get what she deserves, but at least the town enacted future punishment. It's going to be cases like this that bring up laws to punish this type of behavior.

Unfortunately the internet moves much faster than the law.
unless MySpace brings some action against her..
I doubt that will happen, as much as i would like to see it.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #30
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
unless MySpace brings some action against her..
I doubt that will happen, as much as i would like to see it.
I'd like to see that happen too, however I don't think that "Tom" really has an idea of what goes on or would take the time to seek action.