Parents Want Jail Time For MySpace Hoax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
The apparent cause of her suicide, her parents have said, was the sudden decline of her online relationship with a 16-year-old boy they thought was named Josh Evans.

I absolutely agree that the woman behind the fake profile is a disgusting, pathetic excuse for a human being and I can see exactly why the parents would blame her, in part, for their daughter's death but who's to blame for the fact that this 13 year old girl added to her friends list and was chatting with a complete stranger for over a month?

^They say the daughter asked her mother for permssion and the mother checked what was going on in the conversation. But from the conversations it seemed that "Josh" was a nice guy and he didn't ask her daughter any uncomforting questions or such.
Would you prohibit your children of having friendships or relationships only because it is online? I would say the mother did what she could and, except for this special case, she wouldn't have gotten any different information if she saw that guy in person.

Well, a lot of parents do categorically forbid children and younger teens from talking to anyone they don't know in person online. Obviously that isn't a foolproof strategy, but it is a safety enhancer. Unfortunately the reality is that most 13-year-olds, no matter how level-headed they seem compared to other kids their age, are much easier to manipulate than, say, the average 18-year-old would be.

I would understand that measure, and certainly think it's not a bad idea, but obviously here also another adult, the mother, was tricked to believe that guy was credible.

A measure of how deft Lori Drew's handiwork was, I suppose. But on the other hand, if Megan Meier's parents normally did follow a policy along the lines of what bonosgirl84 was suggesting--and actually, I *think* it's the case that they normally did--then they certainly picked an unfortunate time to make an exception.

On another angle, Times parenting columnist Judith Warner had this to say about the case today:
Helicopter Parenting Turns Deadly

Megan Meier, a 13-year-old from Dardenne Prairie, Missouri, killed herself last year after an online relationship she believed she was having with a cute 16-year-old boy named Josh went very sour. What she didn’t know--what her parents would learn six weeks after her death--was that “Josh” was the fictitious creation of Lori Drew, a then-47-year-old neighbor and the mother of one of Megan’s friends.

Or former friends. Megan had, essentially, dropped the other girl when she’d changed schools and tried to put an unhappy chapter of her junior high school life--fraught with weight problems and depression--behind her. Drew’s daughter, one assumes, would have eventually gotten over it. But Drew didn’t. Instead, she got revenge. She created a fake MySpace profile (she later told police she’d done so to “find out what Megan was saying online” about her daughter, according to a sheriff’s report). Working with her daughter, she led Megan to become infatuated with “Josh.” And then she delivered the blow. “I don’t like the way you treat your friends,” Drew wrote. According to Megan’s father, “Josh”’s last e-mail to his daughter read, “You are a bad person and everybody hates you...The world would be a better place without you.”

The Meier case got massive play in the national media this past week, coming as it did on the heels of a major new survey showing that up to one in three children in the United States have been harassed or bullied online. But for me the tragedy highlighted another troubling issue that threatens our homes just as steadily as poisonous online communications. That is the disturbing degree to which today’s parents--and mothers in particular--frequently lose themselves when they get caught up in trying to smooth out, or steamroll over, the social challenges faced by their children.

You only hear about the most freakish cases, like that of Lori Drew or of Wanda Webb Holloway, the Texas mother who in 1991 tried to pay someone to murder the mother of her daughter’s chief cheerleading rival. (“The motive here was love, a mother’s love for a daughter,” said a police investigator at the time.) Yet everyday examples abound of parents whose boundary issues are not so extreme, but still qualify as borderline wacko. “People now feel like having a good relationship with your child means you’re involved in every aspect of your child’s life,” says Rosalind Wiseman, author of Queen Bees & Wannabes and Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads, who travels the country speaking with and counseling parents, teachers and teens. “Nothing is off-limits” now between parents and their kids, she says. “There’s no privacy and there’s no critical thinking.” Wiseman has heard stories of parents who hope to pave their child’s way to popularity by luring the in-crowd to parties with promised “loot-bag” giveaways like iPods and North Face fleeces. She recently heard of a father who, happening on an instant-messaging war between his child and a bunch of children on a sleepover, went over to the other house, called the other father outside, and began a fistfight that ended only after someone called the police. And of a mother who, unwilling to join her fifth-grade daughter in accepting the apology of another fifth-grader who’d bullied her in the playground, hounded the school incessantly, pushing for the other child to be expelled. Parents, she says, routinely blow a gasket when they get it in their heads that they need to seek revenge on their child’s behalf. “It’s, ‘I’ve been wronged. My kid has been wronged, so I’ve been wronged; therefore I have to do whatever’s necessary, including being disgustingly immoral.’ ”

“Where are the brakes,” Wiseman asked, “on parental behavior?” Otherwise put: where does adult behavior end and childish behavior begin?

...Parents of teenagers are not supposed to act like teenagers. They’re not supposed to dress like teenagers or talk like teenagers or spend their days text-messaging teenagers--as one mom Wiseman encountered did, exchanging expressions of shock and dismay, after her 14-year-old daughter broke up with a popular and athletic boy. (“I was totally basking in the social status I was getting from the boy,” the very honest mother told Wiseman.)

Or, at least, parents weren’t supposed to act like this in the past. “There used to be this kind of parent-child gradient, where the parent was expected to--and did--function at a different level than the child,” says clinical psychologist Madeline Levine, author of the 2006 book The Price of Privilege, who lectures frequently on child and adolescent issues. Now, she says, “that whole notion of parents being in an entirely different space than their children is disappearing.” In part, Levine blames parenting experts for this turn of events. She blames the self-esteem movement, decades of parenting advice that prized “communication” over limit-setting and safety. She blames the narcissistic needs of parents who want their children to like them at all costs. And in part, when thinking over the fused mother-daughter dyads she so often encounters in therapy, she indicts this generation of mothers’ loneliness, dissatisfaction in work and marriage, stress, sense of failure, and emotional isolation. In the end, she asks, when you’re feeling alone and blue, “Who are you sure is going to hang around with you? It’s your children.”

It’s very easy to put up walls to separate the likes of Lori Drew and Wanda Webb Holloway from the rest of us. Most of us, after all, are not sick or profoundly vindictive, entirely lacking in self-awareness or devoid of all empathy. Still, we have all caught ourselves spending a little too much time worrying about (or gloating over) our children’s popularity. We spend a lot of time feeling our children’s pain and put a lot of thought into shaping their world to offer them the greatest possible degree of happiness. But our kids really need something much bigger from us than that. They desperately need us to grow up.

They desperately need us to grow up I think that's such a profound statement. When whatever is necessary gets to the point of doing that to a 13 year old girl, well I just can't think of many things that are more pathetic than that. It's a real shame that that woman didn't get help for herself. She needed it.

I think that article describes the situation perfectly, and what led to this tragedy. That woman must have other mental health issues going on though, or she was just so overinvolved in her kid's life that she lost her mental faculties somehow. You don't have to have your kid online to have them subjected to that-you see it in sports and in so many other kids' activities.

Last edited:
Vincent Vega said:
They say the daughter asked her mother for permssion and the mother checked what was going on in the conversation. But from the conversations it seemed that "Josh" was a nice guy and he didn't ask her daughter any uncomforting questions or such.

This doesn't matter. They still did not know who this person was. We've all heard stories about older men (and in this case, a woman) pretending to be the same age as the child they're chatting with to gain trust. It's a red flag in itself.

Vincent Vega said:
Would you prohibit your children of having friendships or relationships only because it is online?

I would, and I do. I have a 14 year old daughter who has a MySpace account. The rule in my house is, if I don't know your passwords, you don't sit down at the computer.

Vincent Vega said:
I would say the mother did what she could and, except for this special case, she wouldn't have gotten any different information if she saw that guy in person.

I disagree. If she had seen the kid (had it been an actual kid) in person, she would have seen that it was a child her daughter's age and not a mother with malicious intentions.

Like yolland said, nothing is foolproof. Kids will manage to do things you would never dream they would even consider. I just think that in this case, there is a combination of factors that led to this tragedy and no one person to blame. Add to that the fact that the girl already had emotional problems. If this ever happened to my daughter (God forbid) and I knew she'd been chatting with a stranger, I would definitely feel like I too, should share the blame.

Kiki said:

I'd want the person to serve jail time as well. I'd want them to be locked up and not able to corrupt or hurt more kids the way they already had. It always makes me wonder why people sue other people for absurd amounts of money in cases like this, and the fact that the girls family so far has not sued this lady, I think says alot for them.
All they want is for her to be arrested, at least they're not going after her for 12 million dollars.

That's what I dont get. These people that would sue someone for that much money......why???? Yes I understand the cost of a funeral, the trauma fee's, etc. but I knew someone that was in a car accident and was the only survivor. The other two in the other car were 16 and 17 and they were 2 times the legal limit of being drunk and were going 75 down an on ramp on a highway. Their parents tried suing for 125million dollars for the "emotional damages".
Even if your children would have made that much money in their lifetime..... :scratch:
Society is so screwed up today.

But that's just it. . .if there is no real recourse with a criminal case (as appears to the case with this situation), then the only thing left is a civil suit. And if you want to "punish" the person, then it would make sense to sue for a large amount of money. It doesn't make sense that you'd like to see this woman arrested and locked up, but don't want to see her made to pay financially for what she did.

Granted 125 million dollars is a lot of money, but I'm willing to bet those parents would still rather have their kids back then have any amount of money. And if not, 125 million, how much would be "reasonable" for the parents to sue for. How do you put a price tag on your kid? "Well, I guess if I'm honest my kid wasn't really too bright so they probably wouldn't have made very much money as an adult so. . .I'm guessing he/she's worth about $30,000?"

I too am opposed to the "sue-happy" society we live in today, but I don't know that lawsuits for "emotional damages" or whatever are ALWAYS frivolous or without merit.

In the case of Megan's parents, I think they should sue--since it doesn't look like they have a criminal case--and I think they should seek millions.

^^ Yes, I would sue in civil court for a punitive amount and then donate it to a teen center or suicide prevention line or something like that.

New information-they used an 18 year old "employee" to create the page, and others had access to it. So they can't prove anything and no charges will be filed. I just hope no other crazies will get any ideas and think it's ok to do something like that.

cnn.com

ST. CHARLES, Mo. -- No criminal charges will be filed against people who sent cruel Internet messages to a 13-year-old girl before she committed suicide, the St. Charles County prosecutor said Monday.

The parents of Megan Meier of Dardenne Prairie, who hanged herself last year, said her suicide came minutes after she received mean messages through the social networking site MySpace.

County prosecutor Jack Banas said at a news conference there was no applicable statute to file charges in the case. Banas said he looked at laws related to stalking, harassment and child endangerment, but found no repeated incidents of threats to someone's life or health, and no organized conspiracy.

A police report said that a mother from the neighborhood and her 18-year-old employee fabricated a profile for a teenage boy online who pretended to be interested in Megan before he began bullying her. The police report indicates others gained access to the profile, and it is not clear who was sending Meier messages just before her death.

Banas said based on additional interviews, the fake MySpace page was not created by the mother of one of Megan's friends. He said the page was created by the 18-year-old employee, though the mother and her 13-year-old daughter knew about the page. He said he was unable to speak directly with the 18-year-old, whom he said has been hospitalized for psychiatric treatment.

bonosgirl84 said:

I absolutely agree that the woman behind the fake profile is a disgusting, pathetic excuse for a human being and I can see exactly why the parents would blame her, in part, for their daughter's death but who's to blame for the fact that this 13 year old girl added to her friends list and was chatting with a complete stranger for over a month?

It is the fault of the parents that let her talk online with the "boy." It is the problem in this country that parents are okay with their 12 or even 10 year old boys and girls dating. It is just sick. Kids that young are not able to take those kind of relationships seriously. Hearts get broken all the time, tears happen a lot. What if this was an actualy 13 year old boy whom the girl met in school? What if he pretended he liked her a lot, and the girl's mother let her date him? Then one day, he said he doesn't like her at all anymore and calls her ugly, etc., and the girl kills herself. Then what? Should there be charges brought upon the boy? Absolutely not.

It is terribly sad that this happened to the girl. But the fact is that her mother allowed her to talk to an unknown boy online like that, which never should have happened.

all i know is that i saw a segment on this on Anderson Cooper tonight, and it reduced me to tears.

obviously this girl had huge problems, and perhaps her parents should have been "more" vigilant, but hindsight is 20/20 -- i don't know what should be done in this case, so i'm just going to pause and reflect on the emotional hell many teenagers inhabit and resolve to try and be as positive an influence in the life of as many young people as i possibly can. i can't think of anything else to do.

:hug: Irvine.

You'll be an excellent help to young people, I've no doubt about that :). I wish more kids felt they had people to turn to in times of crisis. Any adults who are part of any child's life should let them know, as often as they can, that they are always there for them if they need anything.

Angela

Irvine511 said:

obviously this girl had huge problems, and perhaps her parents should have been "more" vigilant, but hindsight is 20/20 -- i don't know what should be done in this case, so i'm just going to pause and reflect on the emotional hell many teenagers inhabit and resolve to try and be as positive an influence in the life of as many young people as i possibly can. i can't think of anything else to do.

I saw the AC segment too and I felt the same way. I think that's a wonderful response you have there, good for you. They are very lucky to have your influence.

In a novel approach, prosecutors are looking at charging a woman who posed as a boy and sent cruel messages to teen with defrauding MySpace.

By Scott Glover and P.J. Huffstutter, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
January 9, 2008

A federal grand jury in Los Angeles has begun issuing subpoenas in the case of a Missouri teenager who hanged herself after being rejected by the person she thought was a 16-year-old boy she met on MySpace, sources told The Times.

The case set off a national furor when it was revealed that the "boyfriend" was really a neighbor who was the mother of one of the girl's former friends.

Local and federal authorities in Missouri looked into the circumstances surrounding 13-year-old Megan Meier's 2006 death in the town of Dardenne Prairie, an upper-middle-class enclave of about 7,400 people, located northwest of St. Louis.

But after months of investigation, no charges were filed against Lori Drew for her alleged role in the hoax. Prosecutors in Missouri said they were unable to find a statute under which to pursue a criminal case.

Prosecutors in the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles, however, are exploring the possibility of charging Drew with defrauding the MySpace social networking website by allegedly creating the false account, according to the sources, who insisted on anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly about the case.

The sources said prosecutors are looking at federal wire fraud and cyber fraud statutes as they consider the case. Prosecutors believe they have jurisdiction because MySpace is headquartered in Beverly Hills, the sources said.

It's still unclear who created the fictitious account. In a police report, Drew told authorities she, with the aid of a temporary employee, "instigated and monitored" a fake profile prior to Megan's suicide, "for the sole purpose of communicating" with the girl and to see what the girl was saying about Drew's daughter.

The grand jury issued several subpoenas last week, including one to MySpace and others to "witnesses in the case," sources said. One source did not know who else had received subpoenas; the other declined to provide that information.

Thomas P. O'Brien, the U.S. attorney in Los Angeles, declined to comment. Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for O'Brien, also declined to comment.

MySpace officials could not be reached for comment, nor could Drew or her husband, Curt, be reached.

Attorney Jim Briscoe, who represents Lori Drew, said: "We have no knowledge of . . . anything dealing with a grand jury anywhere dealing with this case. . . . The only comment I have is we can't comment on rumors from anonymous sources."

The news came as a shock to Tina and Ron Meier, Megan's parents. Both said they were unaware of the grand jury and had not been contacted by the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles.

"If MySpace is considered the victim, fine. I don't care at this point," said Tina Meier, 37. "We've been begging for someone -- anyone -- to pick up this case. If the Drews can be charged -- and even get the chance to be convicted -- it would be a day I could be happy with."

Cyber-bullying has become an increasingly creepy reality, with the anonymity of video games, message boards and other online forums offering an outlet for cruel taunts.

Former federal prosecutor Brian C. Lysaght said such a prosecution would be "not as much of a reach as it might appear at first glance." In recent years, he said, Congress has passed a series of statutes that make criminal conduct involving the Internet federal offenses.

Still, it could be difficult to draw the line between constitutionally protected free speech and conduct that is illegal.

Laurie Levenson, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, said the idea of using a fraud charge to tackle the unusual case was "an interesting and novel approach."

"But I doubt it's really going to lead to the type of punishment people really want to see, which is this woman being held responsible for this girl's death," she said.

Levenson, a former federal prosecutor, said that if the grand jury brings an indictment, it could raise 1st Amendment issues and questions about how to fairly enforce such a law on the Internet, where pseudo-identities are common.

"This may be a net that catches a lot of people," she said.

Kurt Opsahl, a senior staff attorney who specializes in privacy and free speech issues for the legal advocacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation, said the potential of this case to set legal precedent criminalizing online speech is worrying.

"The right to speak freely online is hugely important. Whistle-blowers create pseudonyms," Opsahl said. "So do many people who anonymously report on corporate or government bad practices."

All I can say at this point is that I'm very happy with this decision. :up:

Mom indicted in deadly MySpace hoax

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A Missouri mom was indicted Thursday for her alleged role in the death of a teen who killed herself over a failed Internet romance that turned out to be a hoax.

Megan Meier, 13, hanged herself in her bedroom after being targeted in a MySpace hoax.

A federal indictment accuses Lori Drew, 49, of O'Fallon, Missouri, of using the social networking Web site MySpace.com to pose as a 16-year-old boy and feign romantic interest in the girl.

The girl, Megan Meier, committed suicide after her online love interest spurned her, according to prosecutors, telling her the world would be a better place without her.

Drew faces up to 20 years in prison on charges of conspiracy and accessing protected computers to obtain information to inflict emotional distress.

The indictment, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, accuses Drew and others of registering on MySpace as "Josh Evans" and using the account to lure Meier into an an online romance.

Authorities have previously said that Drew set up the account to find out what Meier, who lived in her neighborhood, was saying about her daughter.

Prosecutors allege that Drew and the others violated MySpace's terms of service by using false information to create the account so they could "harass, abuse or harm" Meier, according to the indictment.

The two corresponded for about four weeks before "Josh" broke off the relationship, authorities said. Within an hour, Meier hanged herself in her room and died the next day.

The indictment does not allege that Drew sent the final message telling Meier the world would be a better place without her. Instead, it blames her unnamed co-conspirators, who authorities have previously said include a teenage girl.

After Drew learned of the teen's suicide, the indictment alleges, she directed one of the teens involved to "keep her mouth shut" and deleted the account.

Meier's mother, Tina Meier, told CNN in November that her daughter had self-esteem issues and had struggled with depression since childhood.

She said when her daughter began receiving messages from "Josh" telling her she was pretty, she was thrilled.

When "Josh" broke off the relationship, Tina Meier said, her daughter was devastated.

"She was looking for me to help calm herself down like I always did and be there for her. And I was upset because I didn't like the language she was using, and I was angry she didn't sign off when I told her to," Tina Meier told CNN. Watch Tina Meier's reaction to the charges »

"She said to me, 'You're supposed to be my mom, you're supposed to be on my side,' and then took off running upstairs," Tina Meier said.

Tina Meier found her daughter hanging by a belt shortly afterward.

"It's as if my daughter killed herself with a gun," Meier's father, Ron, told CNN. "And it's as if they loaded the gun for her."

Drew is scheduled for arraignment in June.

"This adult woman allegedly used the Internet to target a young teenage girl, with horrendous ramifications," U.S. Attorney Thomas P. O'Brien said in a written statement.

"Any adult who uses the Internet or a social gathering Web site to bully or harass another person, particularly a young teenage girl, needs to realize that their actions can have serious consequences," O'Brien said.

In December, Missouri prosecutors declined to file charges against Drew, saying there was no law under which she could be charged.

"There is no way that anybody could know that talking to someone or saying that you're mean to your friends on the Internet would create a substantial risk," St. Charles County Prosecutor Jack Banas said. "Under the law, we just couldn't show that."

megan-meier.jpg

:down: To the lady who pulled off the hoax, it was a horrible thing to do.

:down: To the prosecutors for filing charges on the lady.

Fuck yes. Now there's some precedence for things like this, so people can actually be held accountable. :up: :up: :up:

Kurt Opsahl, a senior staff attorney who specializes in privacy and free speech issues for the legal advocacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation, said the potential of this case to set legal precedent criminalizing online speech is worrying.

"The right to speak freely online is hugely important. Whistle-blowers create pseudonyms," Opsahl said. "So do many people who anonymously report on corporate or government bad practices."
This part of it seems more worrying, it could be that allowing one vile human being to walk free is less bad than getting those limits imposed.

A_Wanderer said:
This part of it seems more worrying, it could be that allowing one vile human being to walk free is less bad than getting those limits imposed.

While not as extreme as you, I was thinking along the same lines. The ethics involved in this whole arena are mind boggling. While I truly don't want this woman to escape with no consequences, where should one draw the line in policing internet behaviour? What if it were an adult woman with a history of mental illness who had killed herself over a potential suitor misrepresenting himself on a singles website? What about a teen taunting another teen online?

Again, I really want this woman to face some form of state-sanctioned punishment. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

VintagePunk said:

While not as extreme as you, I was thinking along the same lines. The ethics involved in this whole arena are mind boggling. While I truly don't want this woman to escape with no consequences, where should one draw the line in policing internet behaviour? What if it were an adult woman with a history of mental illness who had killed herself over a potential suitor misrepresenting himself on a singles website? What about a teen taunting another teen online?

Again, I really want this woman to face some form of state-sanctioned punishment. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Exactly. Where do we draw the line? And it really isn't fair to all the other people out there, men, women, boys, girls, who get their hearts broken by some scumbags. Why just this one situation?

Actually, I don't think she deserves any punishment at all from the state because again, what about all the millions of other people that things like this happen to? If I had a girlfriend and than one day I decide to dump her for another woman and on top of that call her ugly (for example), and she decides to kill herself, should I be punished by state or any other prosecutor? This really does not reflect a free society.

Infinitum98 said:

Exactly. Where do we draw the line? And it really isn't fair to all the other people out there, men, women, boys, girls, who get their hearts broken by some scumbags. Why just this one situation?

Actually, I don't think she deserves any punishment at all from the state because again, what about all the millions of other people that things like this happen to? If I had a girlfriend and than one day I decide to dump her for another woman and on top of that call her ugly (for example), and she decides to kill herself, should I be punished by state or any other prosecutor? This really does not reflect a free society.

This really is not an applicable comparison as you haven't started your friendship with the aim of hurting her in the end. You didn't have a malicious intent to start the relationship in the first place.

I think that the court should very clearly define the special circumstances and the intent of the persons involved that led to the case being accepted to the court, if this is at all possible under American law, in order to prevent any small bullying from being brought before the court.

To say it's not fair that this case is accepted to be made by a court when others aren't is not exactly such strong an argument.

Vincent Vega said:

This really is not an applicable comparison as you haven't started your friendship with the aim of hurting her in the end. You didn't have a malicious intent to start the relationship in the first place.

Thank you :up:
The intent to hurt / harm must surely be what this case should hinge on? Free speech is a powerful argument in some regards but not when that freedom to speak was never 'pure of intent' to begin with.

This whole case makes my blood boil, and okay, perhaps my having a 12 year old daughter and having to navigate these very same waters may skew my judgement slightly, it is just sickening that a grown woman would so lack the maturity to make sound decisions and understand the possible ramificiations of what she was doing - grrrrrr
:mad:

Vincent Vega said:

I think that the court should very clearly define the special circumstances and the intent of the persons involved that led to the case being accepted to the court, if this is at all possible under American law, in order to prevent any small bullying from being brought before the court.

To say it's not fair that this case is accepted to be made by a court when others aren't is not exactly such strong an argument.

I understand what you are saying. But say I thought the girl was a bitch, and my sole goal was to break her heart, and I did it, then what? And even in this case, my goal wasn't to hurt her from the beginning, but I still did a horrible thing by cheating on her, why shouldn't that count as a reason for prosecution, if she killed herself?

All i'm trying to say is that in high school people can be very very mean, not only in cases of boyfriends and girlfriends, but other situations also. I know in particular because I was on of those who used to get picked on a lot back in high school. People did some very cruel things that really hurt my self-esteem. I used to not want to go to school because of this. It really hurt. And say I was a depressed person and had killed myself. It would have been hard to draw a line or prosecute anyone in particular.

I'm just trying to say that this doesn't only happen in the case of a lady leading a teenage girl on, on myspace, but happens in so many different situations with so many different people.

What would have happened in this case if it really was a teenage boy who messed with her, and then she killed herself. Would the boy be prosecuted?

I think in this case, the parents of the girl should have watched out more, they shouldn't have let her talk to a stranger boy on myspace.

Infinitum98 said:

I'm just trying to say that this doesn't only happen in the case of a lady leading a teenage girl on, on myspace, but happens in so many different situations with so many different people.

What would have happened in this case if it really was a teenage boy who messed with her, and then she killed herself. Would the boy be prosecuted?

I think in this case, the parents of the girl should have watched out more, they shouldn't have let her talk to a stranger boy on myspace.

I think I understand what you saying and where you are coming from - the teenage years are absolutely fraught and I can remember being the target of some pretty vicious teenage jibes in my high school years - however, this wasn't a teenage boy and that is the difference. This was carried out, or initiated by a grown woman who should have known better - if nothing else, look at the message she is teaching her daughter.

As for the whole parental supervision of myspace - hindsight is a beautiful thing - I am hyper strict with my kids but I don't believe for a minute that I can always know EXACTLY what they are up to - its impossible and all you can do is your best - so I don't think we should be too harsh on the mother of the girl who died - she's paid the most tragic of prices and has probably beaten herself up every day over the 'if only's.

Whichever way you look at it it is just awful

Infinitum98 said:

I understand what you are saying. But say I thought the girl was a bitch, and my sole goal was to break her heart, and I did it, then what? And even in this case, my goal wasn't to hurt her from the beginning, but I still did a horrible thing by cheating on her, why shouldn't that count as a reason for prosecution, if she killed herself?

All i'm trying to say is that in high school people can be very very mean, not only in cases of boyfriends and girlfriends, but other situations also. I know in particular because I was on of those who used to get picked on a lot back in high school. People did some very cruel things that really hurt my self-esteem. I used to not want to go to school because of this. It really hurt. And say I was a depressed person and had killed myself. It would have been hard to draw a line or prosecute anyone in particular.

There are some very important differences. You didn't invent a fake personality in order to hook up with the girl only to eventually break her. And you probably couldn't foresee what your actions would lead to.
The mother, however, is a 40-something mother of a teenage girl herself, so she is a lot more developed. Additionally, the girls have been good friends before according to another article, so one interesting detail might be to find out if the mother knew of the girl's mental issues.

This is not comparable with an ugly breakup or high school bullying. The main actor involved was bearing way more responsibility than a high school student. If for example not only over students but also teachers were involved in bullying a person that eventually killed himself they would be brought to court. With students it probably would look different. However, whether a case is to be brought to court should always be a case by case decision, and in some cases I would sure say that students should be made responsible for their actions either. As a high school student you aren't that young as to not knowing what your actions can cause.

And in this case you could narrow down the circle of people involved pretty much, and even say who did what, which you couldn't in a situation of high school bullying where no one person can be made responsible.
It's like the situation when a mob kills a person. Too many people are involved, so you can't say "This person killed him."

Because other cases aren't being brought to court doesn't mean it's unfair if a case is to be decided by a court. That's not how law works, no matter what country (in the "western" hemisphere). It's not a "What would have..." case, it's this very case that is to be decided.

The parents of the girls are the victims, not the other way round. They could have done that or done this, of course, and they are certainly thinking that theirself. Her mother could have done more than just telling her not to hook up with this guy on Myspace. But she didn't. She could have reacted differently when her daughter came down to tell her "Josh" broke up, but she didn't. But as a parent you can't always make the right decision, and you can't always prevent bad things from happening. And her parents have to bear the feeling of not having done enough for the rest of their life, whether it's true or not. But they didn't act criminally.

The other woman, on the other hand, did.

Back
Top Bottom