Osama Bin Laden is dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some may say this vindicates GITMO

apparently they found OBL couriers from intelligence gathered from detainees at GITMO,
once they started tracking a courier, they found the compound,
they say the compound had no internet, phones or cell phones. Also all trash was burned on site.

link
As a matter of fact, terrorism falls pretty far down that list, but state repression is a rather important risk. Think-tanks that track terror fatalities measure the number of dead from terrorism since 1970 in the tens of thousands. Compare this to the hundreds of thousands killed by their own governments over the same period, a number that rises, RJ Rummel tells us, to a staggering 169,198,000 between 1900-1987. International terrorism may be scary, but in relative terms it’s pretty small beer.

It stands to reason that if the goal is to protect civilians the means used to be consistent with the wider protection of civilians. So although liberals are fond of making the absolutist moral argument and the constitutive argument against torture, it turns out that you can also argue against torutre on purely utilitarian grounds. And the argument is not that it’s ineffective. The argument is that even if it’s sometimes effective and even if it’s necessary to protect civilians, civilians stand to benefit far more from preserving a rule of law political culture than they do from avoiding every single risk that comes with living in an era of techno-globalization in which the gap between the haves and have nots is widening.

The same general risk is true for the broad deference given to the executive branch over the last decade for the compromises at GITMO that punch a hole in our constitution.

I'm sure they'll release images of the corpse within the few days...or they may want to hold off for the time being knowing it could stir up the hornet's nest.

Both 9/11/01 and today have been surreal bookends. I keep glancing at this thread title, and it doesn't settle easily in my head.

Wow.
Never thought OBL would be captured or killed - would have preferred the former, to prevent martyrdom.

I suppose this means 2012 election is now effectively won for Obama.

And now we have to worry about the retaliation attacks...the problem with people like this there's probably 10 guys waiting in line to carry on.

I wouldn't be too sure about the 2012 election.
I remember in 1991 when the first gulf war ended and everyone was predicting a sound victory for Bush the elder in 1992 but he was still defeated by Bill Clinton.

Granted this is a MAJOR coup for Obama, however, when the euphoria wears off, he will still be left with the problems of the economy, health care and other things he needs to take care of in order to get re-elected.

Great avatar man.

Someone said hitler also died today...?

Thanks!

Achtung, word's been getting around that May 1st was the day that Hitler's death was officially confirmed. I think that's what cobl was getting at.

bono-simpsons-922.png

:laugh:

I am in shock. As much as I want to believe that the evil man who attacked my city is dead and gone, I am skeptical. Not because of the timing or the president who did it, but because it just too good to be true.

I want to celebrate and be joyous, but I am hesitant.

Haha, some things around here never surprise me. They buried him at sea, so ...:uhoh:

Good riddance Osama. I would have rather had him captured alive, for information and for some sort of form of "justice". And to lessen the martyrdom. I wanted to see him taken away in handcuffs-death was too easy for him and actually probably more what he wanted, to satisfy his mission and goals.

Absolutely does not guarantee a win for Obama-it isn't going to put anyone back to work. And I think those who think Obama hates America, well they'll probably believe that Bin Laden is alive in a secret location in the US and that Obama brings him food and drink every day and hangs out with him, saying bad stuff about the USA and yucking it up. Maybe even a beer summit. Plenty of people will never want to give Obama any credit for this.

For whatever it does for the family members and friends of his victims, I am very happy and grateful.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/video/osama-bin-laden-dead-inside-pakistan-kill-site-13507839

But WHO got booted from Celebrity Apprentice?!

I Googled, supposedly it was
Hope. What the hell did she ever do there? Trump just had her on and kept her on to ogle her. Star and NeNe have to stay for the drama

Obama could have waited until after that was over. Priorities people!

I Googled, supposedly it was
Hope. What the hell did she ever do there? Trump just had her on and kept her on to ogle her. Star and NeNe have to stay for the drama

Obama could have waited until after that was over. Priorities people!

I know, the radio guys spoiled it for me. :angry:

The princess married her prince and the bad guy is dead. A real Disney few days.

How did we all find out? I got a text message. Otherwise it would have been facebook, or this forum, depending which one I logged into first.

I was watching Celebrity Apprentice on delay and my friend, who was watching it live, told me about the scroll. I knew it was something serious if Obama was cutting into Celebrity Apprentice making a speech at that hour.
And then I just sat pretty with my netbook in hand tweeting jokes for the next hour until he came on. It was pretty awesome that my twitter feed stopped moving the entire time Obama was talking. And then after that, the Osama jokes started to get obnoxious.

And speaking of obnoxious, I stayed watching CNN for a little while longer and they were attempting to interview the college kids at Ground Zero causing a ruckus. Not a single one could put together a coherent thought, calling it an out-of-body experience. :rolleyes:
"I was in 4th grade when 9/11 happened..." yeah, well, then you don't remember jackshit. Sit down.

It's the principle of the thing. We find Arab celebrations of death reprehensible, so I can't get off on the death of others with a clear conscience, now can I?

I understand how you feel. As much as I take joy that Bin Laden will never perpetrate another evil act upon this planet, I don't take joy in his death. His death needed to be accomplished, but I am sad that someone became the evil man that he was that murdered so many people.

That said, I do not find it reprehensible if people do cheer for his death. Cheering the death of someone who murdered thousands of innocents is a far different situation than people cheering the murder of those innocents.

That said, I do not find it reprehensible if people do cheer for his death. Cheering the death of someone who murdered thousands of innocents is a far different situation than people cheering the murder of those innocents.
:up:

but there is a moment when it becomes cheering for the sake of cheering. or faux patriotism. and nothing is more obnoxious than that. there's a big difference between this:
tumblr_lkjz0qD2sj1qzs5cq

and this:
img-cs---osama-death-reactions_063654547009.jpg

I guess they all needed an excuse to drink and get in front of cameras on a Sunday night. That was not very meaningful.

TMZ has a bogus death photo

"The White House has NOT released an official death photo of the corpse ... yet.

An official has told CNN ... REAL photographs of Osama's body exist ... which show a gunshot wound to the side of his head. The official says due to the wounds, bin Laden's face is "unrecognizable."

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

:up:

but there is a moment when it becomes cheering for the sake of cheering. or faux patriotism. and nothing is more obnoxious than that. there's a big difference between this:
tumblr_lkjz0qD2sj1qzs5cq

and this:
img-cs---osama-death-reactions_063654547009.jpg

That there is!

"I was in 4th grade when 9/11 happened..." yeah, well, then you don't remember jackshit. Sit down.

Fourth graders are usually nine or ten years old. Kids that age would easily remember the events of that day. Mine do. My daughter was only seven at the time and she remembers everything that happened that day, down to some of the smallest details. She's seventeen now. She was the first person I texted with the news.

I'm not offended by the celebrating, I just find it really tacky. What does his death really mean in the grand scheme of things? Probably nothing. If anything, it will probably cause more harm than good. I'm not saying it wasn't necessary, just that nothing is over

He allegedly stood behind a woman and used her as a human shield from the Navy Seals, don't know if it was a mistress or a wife or whatever. Quite ironic.

He'll be like Tupac-he probably recorded reams of material to be released after his death. Years and years worth.

from Official: Bin Laden buried at sea - Yahoo! News

"After bin Laden was killed in a raid by U.S. forces in Pakistan, senior administration officials said the body would be handled according to Islamic practice and tradition. That practice calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours, the official said. Finding a country willing to accept the remains of the world's most wanted terrorist would have been difficult, the official said. So the U.S. decided to bury him at sea."

Back
Top Bottom