Osama Bin Laden is dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finance guy, don't you think if he wasn't dead, he'd just release another video saying "nope, I'm not dead"? At some point, the conspiracy nonsense gets pretty ridiculous

Yeah I brought this up to a few people about the whole conspiracy thing.

It's a very real possibility that they have pre-taped propaganda knowing that Osama could die any day, to be honest.

Either way, the United States would be incredibly stupid to pretend as though Osama was dead when he was not. I'm almost certain he's dead (just my opinion). However, there's certainly fair reason to believe that the ways of his demise could have happened in any way ranging from suicide, decline in health, or anything of the less sort exciting, morale-boosting sort.

on UK news they're saying bin Laden once said he would never be taken alive and would die fighting...

Doesn't surprise me. He's probably shooting for martyrdom status.

It's completely dependent on the situation. Was he intentionally shot, or hit by random firefight bullets?

And by that I mean did someone take aim at him? I have a feeling that Navy SEALs would have the ability to tranquilize him if they really wanted to or were able to, leading me to believe that he was killed in crossfire.

i wondered what was going on yesterday - we were at Disneyland Paris Saturday and Sunday with the kids - on Saturday during the day going into the parks there was no special security, but then on Sunday night going into Planet Hollywood suddenly there was all this security with bag scanners, and then going into Disney on Sunday morning it was a different vibe altogether as the security checks were much heavier compared with the day before, again with bag scans in a separate tent that wasn't there the previous day, felt kind of worrying to be honest... maybe heightened security on possible American interests abroad??

kind of worried about the backlash... hope things don't go crazy...

Indications seem to be that there was a firefight.

Right, but firefight to what extent? A tactical breakdown of the complex or a crossfire with stray bullets? The point I'm trying to make is that when that information is revealed, we'll know if it was at all possible to capture Osama alive.

Praise to G-d almighty for this wonderful news@!

I had no doubt in my mind that this day would come and I only hoped that I would live to see it. How fitting is it that the joyous news of the death of one of the most evil men in history should come on Holocaust memorial day when we remember the memory of the 6 million Jews murdered by another one of the most evil men in History - Adolph Hitler.

Although Bin Laden wasn't brought to trial, G-d saw to it that he was brought to American justice!

G-d bless the brave U.S. soldiers who avenged the thousands of deaths of 911 and the tens of thousands of other deaths caused by this mass murderer.

As he now must face the full power of G-d's holy judgement, may he be made to pay eternally for the evil acts he has done and for the innocent lives lost at his command.

Rest in HELL!

LuckyNumber7 said:
Doesn't surprise me. He's probably shooting for martyrdom status.

It's completely dependent on the situation. Was he intentionally shot, or hit by random firefight bullets?

And by that I mean did someone take aim at him? I have a feeling that Navy SEALs would have the ability to tranquilize him if they really wanted to or were able to, leading me to believe that he was killed in crossfire.

I think you've been watching too many movies, dude. Tranquilize? I'm pretty sure that's not an option or else every police department in the country would deploy the same tactics.

I think you've been watching too many movies, dude. Tranquilize? I'm pretty sure that's not an option or else every police department in the country would deploy the same tactics.

:lol: tranquilize, disable, disarm, I didn't mean it as specifically in putting him to sleep.

edit: I just feel as though the SEALs have ways either through technology or tactic to suppress a target without killing them.

I meant shooting his gun/non-lethal body parts upon will.

Ah, gotcha. I guess at a certain point it becomes kill or be killed. From the sound of it, they were using a woman as a human shield. She ended up getting killed too, but I'm sure it must've been a pretty chaotic scene

At some point, the conspiracy nonsense gets pretty ridiculous

Beyond ridiculous because it often wears the guise of sound skepticism and some kind of...reason. Not specifically financeguy but any notion at all that this could have been fabricated.

It's delusion in the form of a self-satisfied world view that is more interested in preaching cynicism than actually seeking truth through actual critical analysis.

It would take no more than a casual, critical look to get beyond the question "could this be a fabrication?". How many anti-Obama folks populate the upper ranks of the US military? I am guessing more than a few...and how many of them would gladly like to soil his reputation rather than pollute their own principles by going along with such a sham?

When Jessica Lynch's rescue story came undone, any of you deluded 'skeptics' ask yourself what 'undid' it?

Secrets are only kept in very, very small circles. You might say that the circle surrounding this event would be a little more than impossible to contain. Of course, any sane person would realize everything I just said.

In other words, it's precisely the opposite of sound skepticism. It's idiocy.

Praise to G-d almighty for this wonderful news@!

I had no doubt in my mind that this day would come and I only hoped that I would live to see it. How fitting is it that the joyous news of the death of one of the most evil men in history should come on Holocaust memorial day when we remember the memory of the 6 million Jews murdered by another one of the most evil men in History - Adolph Hitler.

Although Bin Laden wasn't brought to trial, G-d saw to it that he was brought to American justice!

G-d bless the brave U.S. soldiers who avenged the thousands of deaths of 911 and the tens of thousands of other deaths caused by this mass murderer.

As he now must face the full power of G-d's holy judgement, may he be made to pay eternally for the evil acts he has done and for the innocent lives lost at his command.

Rest in HELL!

you mention G-d four times, but forgot to thank Obama even once.

before G-d got a little help from Obama he wasn't doing very well.

U2DMfan said:
It's delusion in the form of a self-satisfied world view that is more interested in preaching cynicism than actually seeking truth through actual critical analysis.

Can I steal this from you? I've never heard it put so succinctly

Can I steal this from you? I've never heard it put so succinctly

Go ahead, brotha.

I am a huge fan of logic, reason, skepticism, critical/scientific thought, etc.
And those that only bring cynicism as if to show how 'thoughtful' they are, are often only going through the critical motions.

So I'm away from my PC and am watching TV earlier tonight...flipping through the channels, I start watching cable news...and I hear about this press conference.
So anyhow, I got sort of freaked out. It was weird, a spontaneous announcement about national security?

So CNN wasn't on it yet...not really.
So I was going back and forth between FOX and MSNBC. And Geraldo was on FOX. After a few minutes, he was saying "I am reading this...Bin Laden is dead" (he repeated it several times). I thought he was full of shit because it's Geraldo, FFS. NBC/ABC/CBS/CNN none of them were saying it yet.

AFAIK, He broke the story.
Yeah.
Geraldo.

Of course, I can't recall where he was getting that info. Maybe it was already online. In any event, he was the first to say it on TV.

la-bin-laden024_lkjzygnc.jpg

la-bin-laden023_lkjy2pnc.jpg

la-bin-laden013_lkjv9inc.jpg

and all I did was post on the internet.

Honestly, I'm going to give newscasters a pass for any Obama/Osama mixups because I've done that at least 4 times while typing tonight. It's the same thing when I try and transition between U2 and the UW.

latest news is that they buried his body at sea. Hope they recorded the corpse with a high-def camera a few times to squelch any "Hitler in Argentina" theories.

Also, they buried him before getting back the news on the DNA tests, so the potential for a hilariously wacky mixup presumably remains.

I guess this attack happened in the last 24 hours.

The reports I heard on T V led me to believe this had happened a few days ago.

And now there are reports the body was taken to Afghanistan and in accordance with Muslim customs buried within 24 hours at sea?

The conspiracy theorists will have plenty to work with here.

is the "buried at sea" thing accurate??

no mention as yet on The Guardian at least...

Osama bin Laden death: What to do with body poses dilemma for US | World news | guardian.co.uk

Osama bin Laden death: What to do with body poses dilemma for US
Officials will be wary of creating shrine or feeding conspiracy theories, while honouring Islamic burial traditions

Paul Harris in New York
guardian.co.uk, Monday 2 May 2011 07.58 BST
Article history

Osama bin Laden in an undated file photograph. Now that he is dead the Americans will have to prove they got their man while disposing of his remains without creating a shrine or feeding conspiracy theories that he is still alive. Photograph: AFP/Getty Images
Osama bin Laden is dead but the al-Qaida leader is still posing difficult questions for US intelligence and security officials: notably, what to do with his body?

The US authorities are doing DNA tests to ensure they have got the right man; and they have taken possession of his body to make sure no myths of "escape" build up.

An official said the DNA results would be known within a few days. In the meantime US authorities must deal with the thorny problem of what to do with his remains.

Senior US officials told news agencies that his body would be buried in accordance with Islamic tradition. But it is not clear yet what they mean. Islamic custom often involves the bathing, shrouding and burial of a body within 24 hours.

And where to send Bin Laden's remains? His large extended family in Saudi Arabia have largely distanced themselves from him. The Saudi government would be wary of having any grave on Saudi territory that could become a shrine for followers of radical Islam – there are many such people inside the kingdom.

Pakistani authorities would have similar concerns, sharpened by the embarrassment of having Bin Laden caught deep within their country and living in relative comfort an hour's drive from Islamabad.

There is some precedent in the case of Jordanian-born terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. He was killed during a bombing in Iraq. Authorities in Jordan refused his family's wishes to have his remains repatriated to his homeland. His body was transferred to the Iraqi authorities who buried him according to Islamic customs but at a secret location, according to a US military press release issued at the time.

A similar unknown and murky fate may await Bin Laden's remains, but it may also feed conspiracy theories that he was never killed.

Uday and Qusay Hussein, the sons of the Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, were buried in a community graveyard after their deaths in a firefight with US troops and then later reinterred in a family plot. Something similar might be an option for Bin Laden.

US authorities did not immediately rush to bury the Hussein brothers, instead releasing the corpses 11 days after they were killed and relying on photographs of their bodies to convince people they were dead.

eta:
ok just found this...
3.24am ET: MSNBC says US officials have confirmed that Osama bin Laden's body has been buried at sea.

It was done "in accordance with Islamic law and traditions," and took place at 2am eastern time (7am BST).

Guardian live blog:

3.24am ET: MSNBC says US officials have confirmed that Osama bin Laden's body has been buried at sea.

It was done "in accordance with Islamic law and traditions," and took place at 2am eastern time (7am BST).

Timeframe, from the AP:
On April 29, Obama approved an operation to kill bin Laden. It was a mission that required surgical accuracy, even more precision than could be delivered by the government's sophisticated Predator drones. To execute it, Obama tapped a small contingent of the Navy's elite SEAL Team Six and put them under the command of CIA Director Leon Panetta, whose analysts monitored the compound from afar.

Panetta was directly in charge of the team, a U.S. official said, and his conference room was transformed into a command center.

Details of exactly how the raid unfolded remain murky. But the al-Qaida courier, his brother and one of bin Laden's sons were killed. No Americans were injured. Senior administration officials will only say that bin Laden "resisted." And then the man behind the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil died from an American bullet to his head.

It was mid-afternoon in Virginia when Panetta and his team received word that bin Laden was dead. Cheers and applause broke out across the conference room.

heh yeah i just found the same update and edited, thanks though!

okay I am absolutely sick to death (ha) of the facebook groups already. most aren't remotely funny. so don't ask my to join your page because you're two millionth person to draw a connection to Waldo/Wally

Honestly, I'm going to give newscasters a pass for any Obama/Osama mixups because I've done that at least 4 times while typing tonight. It's the same thing when I try and transition between U2 and the UW.

so have I, but that headline is fucking amateur. huge difference between a typo on an internet forum and a major news channel :lol:

so have I, but that headline is fucking amateur. huge difference between a typo on an internet forum and a major news channel :lol:

There should probably be on a sticky note on every chyron writer's desk:

IMPORTANT- DID YOU USE AN "S" OR A "B"

Some more details on Politico about how they got a trail on Bin Laden.
Osama bin Laden's death brings celebration, unity – and questions - Ben Smith and Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com
Senior administration officials say the trail heated up about a year ago when they discovered the identity of a key Bin Laden courier – and linked the man to the construction of a fortified compound 35 miles north of Islamabad bristling with barbed-wire, 12-foot walls and packed with a mysterious family that burned its own trash.

After months of surveillance and analysis – and no fewer than nine Oval Office meetings on the topic – Obama authorized a daring helicopter assault on the mansion, culminating at around 7 p.m. Sunday night when the president was told that the “high value target” killed while resisting US troops at the compound was, in fact, the man responsible for 3,000 deaths a decade ago.

The final decision to authorize the assault came at an 8:20 a.m. meeting Friday in the White House diplomatic reception room with chief of staff Bill Daley and national security adviser Tom Donilon. By 3 p.m., the formal orders were produced and Obama spent most of Sunday – apart from a nine-hole round of golf – monitoring the operation in the Situation Room.

By 3:50 p.m. Sunday came word that Bin Laden was in the compound, followed by firm confirmation the remains in U.S. custody were his, officials said.

U.S. intelligence had been trying to track those couriers for years and grew suspicious about the specific compound last August, after noting that it was eight times larger than other homes in the area and had unusual security features like 12-to-18 foot walls topped with barbed wire, one official said. “It is also noteworthy that the compound is valued at $1 million and has no telephone or Internet service connected to it,” the official added.

April 29th???

*light bulb goes off*

I thought it was odd that William and Kate suddenly postponed their honeymoon overseas.
They were supposed to leave on Saturday but I'm guessing that British intelligence knew about this action and decided that they would be in grave danger if they left Britain, so they decided to postpone it "for personal reasons".

I get it now.....

Some may say this vindicates GITMO

apparently they found OBL couriers from intelligence gathered from detainees at GITMO,
once they started tracking a courier, they found the compound,
they say the compound had no internet, phones or cell phones. Also all trash was burned on site.

Wow.
Never thought OBL would be captured or killed - would have preferred the former, to prevent martyrdom.

I suppose this means 2012 election is now effectively won for Obama.

And now we have to worry about the retaliation attacks...the problem with people like this there's probably 10 guys waiting in line to carry on.

Back
Top Bottom