Osama Bin Laden is dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The images of frat boys partying and chanting is repugnant though, I agree zuropafit.

this is one of the reasons why i've resisted going down to the White House. i was there when Obama won in 2008 and that was glorious, people were dancing in the streets.

this is different. most people are just gathering, so to speak, but there do seem to be some idiots in the crowd (like any crowd).

LuckyNumber7 said:
Fabricated story? Maaaaybe.

Fabricated death? Highly, highly unlikely. Don't think the US would have the balls to say he's dead knowing fine well that Osama could just release a tape saying 'fuck you America, I'm actually alive. Stop making shit up.'

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they have pre-taped Osama videos to be released as propaganda just for this.

Don't think for one moment that I believe that the death of a major cultural figure can be fabricated as easily as some of the conspiracy theorists are assuming it to be.

But don't think for one moment that I've missed the significant economic and sociopolitical implications this has on our citizens and the Obama administration, respectively.

I'm certainly somewhat skeptical of the details, if not of the death itself.

Al Qaeda No.2 Zawahri most likely to succeed bin Laden | Reuters

Here's the new #1:

"I want to direct the attention of our Muslim brothers in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, and the rest of the Muslim countries, that if the Americans and the NATO forces enter Libya then their neighbors in Egypt and Tunisia and Algeria and the rest of the Muslim countries should rise up and fight both the mercenaries of Gaddafi and the rest of NATO," Zawahri said.

Don't think for one moment that I believe that the death of a major cultural figure can be fabricated as easily as some of the conspiracy theorists are assuming it to be.

I agree

Now the life, and even the time (year) of the death??,
that is a completely different story.

here's a decent summary of the news:

In a rare, late-night statement from the White House Sunday at 11:35 p.m., President Obama announced that Osama Bin Laden was killed by U.S. forces in a firefight Sunday, in "a compound deep inside Pakistan." Bin Laden was the founder and leader of the Al Qaeda network that perpetrated the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

His death comes nearly 10 years after the terrorist attacks that made him the world's most wanted fugitive, and eight years to the day after President George W. Bush declared Mission Accomplished in Iraq.

According to Obama, the U.S. acquired the initial intelligence it needed to locate, and ultimately kill, Bin Laden last August. After working in conjunction with Pakistani intelligence forces, Obama gave the green light Friday to the operation that resulted in the deadly Sunday raid. Bin Laden was located by the CIA in a massive, fortified compound north of Islamabad, Pakistan, and killed by U.S. military forces.

No Americans were killed or injured in the raid. A woman at the site being used as a human shield died, according to a senior administration official on a conference call with reporters. Bin Laden is said to have resisted the assault force and been killed in an ensuing firefight. Intelligence officials in other countries, including Pakistan, were only informed of the raid after it had been conducted.

The United States lost a helicopter to mechanical failure and intentionally destroyed the disabled aircraft during the mission.

Reiterating that the United States' wars in the Muslim world are not wars against Islam, Obama noted that Bin Laden "was not a Muslim leader. Indeed, he slaughtered scores of Muslims.... his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in human piece and in human dignity."

Bin Laden's body is in U.S. custody, on its way to the United States, and is being handled, according to administration officials, in accordance with Islamic traditions.

The initial reports of his death were based on leaks that took place after the White House briefed key congressional players on the successful operation. Official reactions from Capitol Hill Republicans and Democrats have been overwhelmingly laudatory to Obama, and, with rare exception, have been unpolitical. ("I commend President Obama who has followed the vigilance of President Bush in bringing Bin Laden to justice," said House Majority Leader Eric Cantor.)

Before he was elected President, Obama vowed to capture and kill Bin Laden. Early in his Presidency, George W. Bush claimed at a press conference that he'd largely lost interest in Bin Laden's whereabouts. His administration's inability to locate Bin Laden became a major political liability until he left office.

In a statement shortly after Obama spoke, Bush said, "Earlier this evening, President Obama called to inform me that American forces killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of the al Qaeda network that attacked America on September 11, 2001. I congratulated him and the men and women of our military and intelligence communities who devoted their lives to this mission."

"It's bringing back a lot of emotions from September 11th, and I'm thinking about the victims and families from that day," said former Bush spokesman Tony Fratto in a statement to TPM. "The world is better today knowing he's gone, but we know that we have to stay vigilant in fighting the the terrorists he spawned."

Administration officials claim there are no specific threats to the United States in the wake of Bin Laden's death, but nonetheless say there is a heightened national security threat at this time.

OSAMA BIN LADEN DEAD | TPMDC

I see where you're coming from, but I think given the fact the man is evil personified, surely you can crack a smile, even if you don't "get off on it".

The images of frat boys partying and chanting is repugnant though, I agree zuropafit.

The line I think of is "they weren't born wanting to do this". I don't believe that people are born hating certain groups of people or nations, and wanting to kill as many people as possible. I think it's important that we try to understand what circumstances people like him grew up in, that shaped him, that led him to becoming what he became. You can call him evil, but evil doesn't just happen, and determining where it comes from might be more productive than celebrating its demise.

That's not to say I'm shedding any tears right now. Feeling pride that we finally caught a long-sought enemy is fine, feeling a surge of patriotism because of that is fine, and I completely understand why people who lost loved ones on 9/11 and/or who have lost loved ones in Afghanistan or Iraq would want to celebrate this, but that can be done without sounding and looking like 12 year olds, that can be done in a thoughtful way rather than a callus way.

i have a (very, very close) friend who has a fairly dramatic 9/11 story that's too complicated to get into here, but he actually called me in tears. for many people, it's an enormous event that's also deeply personal.

The line I think of is "they weren't born wanting to do this". I don't believe that people are born hating certain groups of people or nations, and wanting to kill as many people as possible. I think it's important that we try to understand what circumstances people like him grew up in, that shaped him, that led him to becoming what he became. You can call him evil, but evil doesn't just happen, and determining where it comes from might be more productive than celebrating its demise.

That's not to say I'm shedding any tears right now. Feeling pride that we finally caught a long-sought enemy is fine, feeling a surge of patriotism because of that is fine, and I completely understand why people who lost loved ones on 9/11 and/or who have lost loved ones in Afghanistan or Iraq would want to celebrate this, but that can be done without sounding and looking like 12 year olds, that can be done in a thoughtful way rather than a callus way.

:up: Very mature way of looking at it, and I hope it creates some interesting sociological discussion - but personally I don't want to give Osama any remote kind of sympathy. Sorry if you or others don't agree with me on that.

i have a (very, very close) friend who has a fairly dramatic 9/11 story that's too complicated to get into here, but he actually called me in tears. for many people, it's an enormous event that's also deeply personal.

This side of things is why it brings a smile to my face. For those who were directly affected by 9/11... it's enormous.

Wow, it didn't take long for the haters to come out. There's skeptical and then there's delusion. Seriously, no matter what Obama does there's going to be people screaming conspiracy or hoax. Give me a freaking break.

I am so glad he is our president right now.:applaud::up:

I wouldn't say it's "sympathy." It's wanting to understand what makes someone the way they are. They weren't born a terrorist.

It's the difference between writing off horrible actions by saying someone is "evil" or a "monster" and understanding that there are no monsters, just human beings who do evil or monstrous things.

Unless they're born a sociopath, people who do monstrous things were once just harmless little babies, too.

Wow, it didn't take long for the haters to come out. There's skeptical and then there's delusion. Seriously, no matter what Obama does there's going to be people screaming conspiracy or hoax. Give me a freaking break.

I am so glad he is our president right now.:applaud::up:

Thank you! I completely agree!

I'm so tired of all the people out there that, no matter what, will continue to complain, scream, and "call hoax" on everything our President does. He is doing the best job he can, at what is arguably the toughest job in the world, and I think he is doing wonderfully.

I say, even if you didn't vote for him, he is still the elected leader of this wonderful country and he deserves your respect.

We've heard from the ordained Christian Minister that may be a GOP candidiate

Huckabee says to bin Laden: ‘Welcome to hell’

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Modified: May 1, 2011 11:18PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Former Arkansas governor and 2008 presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Americans and “decent people” have reason to cheer the death Osama bin Laden and told the Al-Qaida leader “Welcome to hell.”

According to Huckabee, “It is unusual to celebrate a death, but today Americans and decent people the world over cheer the news that madman, murderer and terrorist Osama Bin Laden is dead.”

Continuing, Huckabee said, “It has taken a long time for this monster to be brought to justice. Welcome to hell, bin Laden. Let us all hope that his demise will serve notice to Islamic radicals the world over that the United States will be relentless is tracking down and terminating those who would inflict terror, mayhem and death on any of our citizens.”

Bush got a lot of shit he didn't deserve because of his uncharismatic presence and tendency to say/do stupid things.
I wouldn't say he was uncharismatic. In fact, many thought the opposite.

He was much better to listen to than to read, if you wanted to come away with a warm feeling.

Regarding the "frat boys" partying outside the White House:

I live just outside of Washington, DC. There was a Capitals game tonight (we lost). The Verizon Center is within walking distance of The White House (especially for momentous occasions such as this). Most of those "frat boys" are, in fact, just drunk hockey fans.

:lol::lol::lol:

If you buy this piece of crap, you need your sweet little head examined.

The dollar is crashing, gold is at a all time high, there is fall-out from the Japanese nuclear explosions on the west coast of the USA, they just killed some kids in Libya, so, hey, how are we gonna take the minds of the sheeple off all of this? Oh, I know, let's kill (alleged CIA asset) Osama Bin Laden.

What a load of rubbish.

I call BULLSHIT.

lol @ financeguy :D

I wouldn't say he was uncharismatic. In fact, many thought the opposite.

He was much better to listen to than to read, if you wanted to come away with a warm feeling.

Well, when I say uncharismatic I mean that he broke down the relationship between him and the listener whenever he said something stupid or goofed up big time in his speeches. Kinda killed the credibility of his voice, and made him sound fake.

Finance guy, don't you think if he wasn't dead, he'd just release another video saying "nope, I'm not dead"? At some point, the conspiracy nonsense gets pretty ridiculous

Okay, maybe I should have asked first, how hard did they try to take him alive? Was the mission always to just kill him and not capture?

on UK news they're saying bin Laden once said he would never be taken alive and would die fighting...

Back
Top Bottom