Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #706
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i find it interesting that you immediately believe the "North Orange County Conservatives" and believe their rationalizing for verbally assaulting Muslim children. but then, you like politicians who think their president would "pall around" with known terrorists like Bill Ayers.

you'll also note that they weren't protesting the two men who supposedly said they liked Hamas once, but they were spewing vile, bigoted things through megaphones at Muslim families who were attending an event to raise money for women's shelters and fighting homelessness in Orange county. because that's a "patriotic protest."
The language used is terrible, I can't condone much of what goes on in that video. There are without doubt some there with a hatred of Muslims. Unfortunately such language and behavior is all too common in an increasingly polemical, youtube society. No need to get into a FNC vs MSNBC video battle but I'm sure you're aware I could find videos from Arizona, Ground Zero or Wisconsin showing demonstrators sympathetic to your views behaving just as noxiously.

I'll stick to arguing about ideas if you do.

Quote:
i know, i know ... it's just a splinter protest. well, let's look at what the OC politicians had to say:
Unless I missed something I find Rep Royce's comments excellent. Muticulturism does often impeed common sense in my view.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #707
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Let's return to commenting on the death of bin Laden only. I stand by my views that Islamism and Sharia are not conductive to pluralism, liberalism, economic, social, religious or political freedom. If someone would like to start a thread and argue otherwise, tell me what Islamic country the West should emulate... I'll be happy to join in.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #708
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:13 AM
There isn't an Islamic country we should try to currently emulate, but then that wasn't always the way and neither was the West always where there were the states that we should try emulate. Some of our ideals may be the best things going at the moment, but our practices as in any moment in history still fall some what short.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #709
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
There isn't an Islamic country we should try to currently emulate, but then that wasn't always the way and neither was the West always where there were the states that we should try emulate. Some of our ideals may be the best things going at the moment, but our practices as in any moment in history still fall some what short.
I agree and watch the "Arab Spring" with measured optimism. I've seen great bravery in the face of tyranny and a desire for something, if nothing else, at least different.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #710
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
DOMA is a legal protection of traditional marriage including not recognizing polygamy, hence the reason I put one man and one woman in bold. I'll now add underlining, one man and one woman to make it clearer.

DOMA protects Americans from having polygamy legally recognized by courts or agencies without a change of law. If you've been reading the thread English citizens apparently have no such protection. I'm glad we do.
Why can't it be between two people, as A_Wanderer said?

You'll find very, very few people stand up against DOMA because they think polygamy should be legalized.

ETA: Are you familiar with the legal concept of the least restrictive means?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #711
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Let's return to commenting on the death of bin Laden only. I stand by my views that Islamism and Sharia are not conductive to pluralism, liberalism, economic, social, religious or political freedom. If someone would like to start a thread and argue otherwise, tell me what Islamic country the West should emulate... I'll be happy to join in.
Who suggested we should emulate an Islamic country?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #712
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

No one ever did, it's just the same old tea line bullshit argument. It didn't work in 5th grade and it doesn't work now, but somehow become their go to method of debate.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #713
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
There is little wrong with having between two and only two people.

this assumes that straights and homos have equal worth. obviously, they don't.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #714
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i agree with you. on a personal note, gays get hung in Iran. i certainly don't want that here. i firmly believe in secularism.

but i don't find any evidence at all of "creeping" Sharia Law anywhere, certainly not in Oklahoma, and it's little more than a smokescreen for pure racism and discomfort with pluralism.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #715
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
on a personal note, gays get hung in Iran.
hanged. sorry, I can never let that one go for some reason
Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #716
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
i agree with you. on a personal note, gays get hung in Iran. i certainly don't want that here. i firmly believe in secularism.

but i don't find any evidence at all of "creeping" Sharia Law anywhere, certainly not in Oklahoma, and it's little more than a smokescreen for pure racism and discomfort with pluralism.
I think it's a concern with what can be seen in Europe. The lack of assimilation, open radicalism, homegrown terrorism and the dhimmitude of lawmakers and the media about all of it.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #717
Blue Crack Addict

A Brooklyn-based Hasidic newspaper removed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and another woman from the now-iconic photo of the Obama national security team watching the raid that killed Osama bin Laden from the White House Situation Room.

The original photo, taken as the raid was occurring, famously shows Clinton in the center of the room, with her hand over her mouth. But the newspaper Der Tzitung, described by the Jewish Week as "ultra-Orthodox," has a policy of never printing photos of women in its pages because it thinks they could be sexually suggestive. Thus, Clinton and counterterrorism director Audrey Tomason, who was seen standing at the back of the room, were removed from the picture.

The blogger Failed Messiah was the first to notice the Photoshopping.

UPDATE: Der Tzitung sent a statement to the press, apologizing for altering the photo—which the White House had forbidden news outlets from doing—and explaining why they had removed Clinton and Tomason.

“In accord with our religious beliefs, we do not publish photos of women, which in no way relegates them to a lower status," the statement said in part. "... Because of laws of modesty, we are not allowed to publish pictures of women, and we regret if this gives an impression of disparaging to women, which is certainly never our intention. We apologize if this was seen as offensive.”

Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #718
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 PM
I can't even comment politely on this one.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #719
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:13 PM
will there be the same rush from the right to condemn this clear violation of women's rights?

i personally don't agree with the call, and the 16th century-tastic view of women it propogates, but it's pretty harmless.

retarded, but harmless.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #720
Blue Crack Addict

Rosie O'Donnell Osama Bin Laden | Bin Laden Deserved A Trial | Mediaite

Rosie O’Donnell is making some waves suggesting America may have become the type of “monsters” we loathe with our targeted killing of Osama bin Laden. Uncomfortable with the wild celebrations last week of “drunken fraternity boys” celebrating Bin Laden’s death in New York and Washington, Rosie also reveals that she expects America to be an example for how we want other countries to act and was disappointed we were not the leader of morality and fairness here.

Rosie explains:

“You can also be upset about the fact that he didn’t have due process, that he didn’t get tried, that he wasn’t you know brought to The Hague for war-crime tribunal. . . . Many, many people, including now on the Twitter feed say, ‘Well, Rosie, it was illegal for them to fly planes into the Twin Towers.’ I’m fully aware of that. Because other people are capable of criminal acts on our soil doesn’t equate to ‘therefore, we are allowed to do criminal acts on their soil.’”

Never one to shy away from her opinion, Rosie wonders, “you don’t want to become what you loathe, wasn’t the whole point of this is that we are not monsters?”