Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
bombing the security line would not have the same effect as flying a plane into a building and taking it down.
Well, the reinforced cockpit doors prevent that. It's blowing up a plane in midair versus the effect of several coordinated airport blasts.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

As for Bin Laden, am I sorry to hear that he's dead? No. But... I'd like to live up to the ideals of this man:
Quote:
I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy.
Apparently MLK never actually said this. At least the sentence that I quoted above. Not that it really matters. It's still a good quote. But, I think it's funny that thousands of people on the internet all misquoted the same thing today.

Misattributed Quote of the Day - The Daily What

Twitter is a fucked up and pretty powerful thing, in a very strange and sometimes (at least to me) unsettling way.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
The only part of this that I question is the burial at sea. It seems strange to dispose of his body so quickly regardless of respect for Islamic laws. I'd think the obvious thing to do would be to hang onto the body but claim it was buried at sea to appease anyone who might be offended otherwise.
yeah i was wondering if the burial at sea was a smoke-screen... it's all a bit odd...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #334
Refugee

Local Time: 11:23 AM
An arch-terrorist responsible for thousands of deaths is hiding in a civillian compound surrounded by family members and killed by soldiers of the country whose citizens were murdered on his orders:

Ok let's see what should happen now......

1. The U.N. security council convenes and passes a resolution condemming the agression against another member state.

2. A commission of inquiry is set up to investigate this operation.

3. The commission releases its report with a finding that war crimes were committed because of the civillian casualties caused during the operation.

4. There are protests around the world calling for the leaders to be put on trial in the Hague for human rights violations and the killing of civillians.

5. The leaders are placed on "Most wanted" lists and barred from entering certain countries for fear of arrest.

6. There is universal condemnation of the violation of a sovereign nations air space during the commission of an illegal military operation.

Oh....wait a second.....it was the UNITED STATES that did this......not Israel.

Sorry about that - it was an honest mistake......
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #335
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I work in downtown Chicago. I'll admit to feeling a bit uneasy down there today, looking up at all the skyscrapers as I was walking to work. Really unsettling feeling...

As for Bin Laden, am I sorry to hear that he's dead? No. But... I'd like to live up to the ideals of this man:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.
yeah... perfect quote Diemen... the whole thing has left me feeling quite strange... i'm glad they finally found Bin Laden, and he did say he would die fighting... but i don't take pleasure in death, and i feel uneasy hearing it described as "justice"... what kind of "justice" is that? "justice" by the bullet? if we claim to find justice in death/assassination however it's described, i think we're sending out quite a dangerous message there...
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #336
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Maybe, but I'd imagine it would take a fair slice out of the airport and surrounds.
yeah, look at the Moscow bombing - didn't they just walk into the arrivals area?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #337
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
I heard the one thing that actually made airplane flying safer after 9/11/01 was strengthening the cockpit doors.

That's it. For everything we've done, that's it. What blows my mind is how easy it'd be to bomb the big long security line, which would have the same disruptive effect as actually making it onto the plane.
exactly. i could see the initial strengthening of airport security (though tsa needs to be replaced, they were never meant to be a permanent addition) so not just any joe blow can walk through the airport*. but that's all they seem to be focusing on, is the freaking security checkpoint before you can enter terminals. plus i gotta admit, i do chuckle at some smoker having to repeatedly go through security if they keep popping outside (and smoking outside the door rather than the designated area, but that's another thread) to have a smoke.

* though since all the us seems to be concerned with in terms of security is knee-jerk reactions to past events, they need to realise these people had plane tickets anyway. it's not like someone snuck on a plane, and even years later people were still able to sneak things past security that they shouldn't have been able to.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #338
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Terrorist attacks are like plane crashes and shark attacks, base fears that no statistics proving their one-in-a-many-bazillion-chances can seem to allay. But really, if you’re worried about being at that end of that carriage of that train on that line coming out of that station at that moment in time on that day in that city in that country when that guys backpack blows up, you should probably spend an equal amount of time worrying about being on your way to the train station and finding that you are at that spot on that footpath on that corner of that street in that city at that moment in time when that bus driver has a heart attack and runs that bus off the road.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #339
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Ok, I'm prepared to accept that he is dead. I just find the timing of the announcement a bit suspicious.
But when wouldn't it be easy to call the timing suspicious? Possibly only literally the day after an election. At any other time, it's always going to be too easy to say its a distraction from that other thing that's going on, or electoral booster for that person or whatever. People have been joking about this for years, that whichever president, whenever it happens, the announcement of catching or killing bin Laden will be a political stunt. Too easy/cop out to say it is now. Plus, you're making a call on a political conspiracy, and I would think that the US military would probably give you a fairly quick F.U. for suggesting that they'd be in on that.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #340
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
But when wouldn't it be easy to call the timing suspicious? Possibly only literally the day after an election. At any other time, it's always going to be too easy to say its a distraction from that other thing that's going on, or electoral booster for that person or whatever. People have been joking about this for years, that whichever president, whenever it happens, the announcement of catching or killing bin Laden will be a political stunt. Too easy/cop out to say it is now. Plus, you're making a call on a political conspiracy, and I would think that the US military would probably give you a fairly quick F.U. for suggesting that they'd be in on that.
not to mention, the us government leaks like a sieve. in the same way they could never have kept a september 11 conspiracy under their collective hat, there's just no way they're competent enough to keep this quiet.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #341
Refugee

Local Time: 06:23 AM
If they release photos in a few days it will be more 'savoury.'
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Agreed. I can't imagine the Bush administration keeping bin Laden's death on their watch covered up. Had this happened years ago, you know Bush would have been shouting this from the rooftops.

The one thing I have a hard time believing is that the body was dumped at sea. I personally think the body is still in the possession of the military.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #343
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Why on earth would they keep the body?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
Why on earth would they keep the body?
Because some nutcases on the internet are confused and angry, of course!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin rose View Post
I assume the people who think this is a hoax really think these people are just watching the end of Celebrity Apprentice.
Well look at Secretary Clinton-that was right after NeNe Leakes ripped Star Jones a new one. Even Hillary had to gasp at that one. She's thinking "damn, I let Bill off way too easy".

They should have just let NeNe take care of Bin Laden.