Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #316
45:33

Local Time: 10:45 PM
there's already a few floating round...

Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #317
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:45 AM
I work in downtown Chicago. I'll admit to feeling a bit uneasy down there today, looking up at all the skyscrapers as I was walking to work. Really unsettling feeling...

As for Bin Laden, am I sorry to hear that he's dead? No. But... I'd like to live up to the ideals of this man:

Quote:
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #318
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
there's already a few floating round...
That image out there is a photoshop fake.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #319
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I work in downtown Chicago. I'll admit to feeling a bit uneasy down there today, looking up at all the skyscrapers as I was walking to work. Really unsettling feeling...

As for Bin Laden, am I sorry to hear that he's dead? No. But... I'd like to live up to the ideals of this man:
Pretty much how I feel in reflection. Am I glad bin Laden is dead? Sure. Are we going to see the U.S. go back to the way it used to be? Nope.

The last 10 years have been horrible for America. We have seen the government subvert the telecom industry to help it spy on its own citizens, Muslim-Americans terrorized because of their religion, a war in Iraq having nothing to do with OBL resulting in the deaths of 6,000 American servicemen and 100,000 + civilians, the TSA tinkering with your civil rights at the airport and grabbing your dick, and not to mention the government finding the legal justification for torturing detainees, assassinating American citizens in the name of counter-terror ops, and kids growing up in the Jack Bauer 2000s in a reality where torture is okay, if the good guys are doing it.

bin Laden won the war a long time ago. Killing him is more of a satisfying, but hollow victory if you look back at the events following Sept. 11th.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #320
45:33

When I flew into LAX last year (I'm from Australia) I was really shocked by customs and airport security. They're just doing their job, obviously, but I remember the walls being like a light shade of vomit yellow, big ugly pillars, long queues of international passengers, and extremely severe men and woman ordering lines around, checking passports, doing fingerprints, etc. I understand the level of security, but for that to be the very first thing I experienced in America was a bit disheartening. Even when we tried to be casual, say hello, "we're excited", all the bullshit small talk or whatever, there was a complete non-response from the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
That image out there is a photoshop fake.
I know, that's what I was referring to...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
After "chomping at the bit" to green light every script that depicted the United States military as thugs, murderers and rapists the past 8 years (that they all tanked at the box office being of no concern) how refreshing to think we might see the heroism and excellence of our troops portrayed on the big screen again.

you're right. movies that examine PTSD and the enormous psychological toll these needless, endless wars have taken on our troops are a total waste of time. the fact that (realistic) war films don't usually do "well" so-to-speak until a good 20 years after the war has ended (see Stone, Oliver) or when dealing with clear right-and-wrong (see Spielberg, Steven) has everything to do with the fact that Hollywood is a bunch of lefties who hated Bush and the gold old American public sure showed them by not going to see small, independent, unsettling Iraq movies like "Valley of Elah" or "Brothers" or "The Hurt Locker," all those Oscars and critical acclaim be damned.

Quote:
Wonder if it has anything to do with who's the commander-in-chief? Naaaaaaa
willing to bet you dollars-to-donuts we don't get any triumphant Libya movies.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #322
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
When I flew into LAX last year (I'm from Australia) I was really shocked by customs and airport security.

i was shocked (and delighted) by your country's total lack of airport security. you could even keep your shoes on!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #323
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
When I flew into LAX last year (I'm from Australia) I was really shocked by customs and airport security.
Now that's invasive
Old 05-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #324
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

I hear you. I take the subway every day and am a bit nervous. I just hope the terrorists don't realize there is a subway in LA.

I know that killing Bin Laden isn't going to change things but it still felt damn good.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #325
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i was shocked (and delighted) by your country's total lack of airport security. you could even keep your shoes on!
And here I am grumpy about how much security there is at Aussie/Kiwi airports compared to the nineties! US airports felt like prisons to me; it was kind of unnerving.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #326
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Pretty much how I feel in reflection. Am I glad bin Laden is dead? Sure. Are we going to see the U.S. go back to the way it used to be? Nope.

The last 10 years have been horrible for America. We have seen the government subvert the telecom industry to help it spy on its own citizens, Muslim-Americans terrorized because of their religion, a war in Iraq having nothing to do with OBL resulting in the deaths of 6,000 American servicemen and 100,000 + civilians, the TSA tinkering with your civil rights at the airport and grabbing your dick, and not to mention the government finding the legal justification for torturing detainees, assassinating American citizens in the name of counter-terror ops, and kids growing up in the Jack Bauer 2000s in a reality where torture is okay, if the good guys are doing it.

bin Laden won the war a long time ago. Killing him is more of a satisfying, but hollow victory if you look back at the events following Sept. 11th.
i love you.

Quote:
When I flew into LAX last year (I'm from Australia) I was really shocked by customs and airport security. They're just doing their job, obviously, but I remember the walls being like a light shade of vomit yellow, big ugly pillars, long queues of international passengers, and extremely severe men and woman ordering lines around, checking passports, doing fingerprints, etc. I understand the level of security, but for that to be the very first thing I experienced in America was a bit disheartening. Even when we tried to be casual, say hello, "we're excited", all the bullshit small talk or whatever, there was a complete non-response from the staff
yeah, i mean i can understand why security's a bit tighter in america i guess, but i hate it. i'm lucky in that since i'm an american citizen i don't need to be fingerprinted (unless something's changed since i left last june), but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
ha, for real. i always make it a point in flying in flip flops (partially because they seem less easy to hide anything in and thus they should leave me alone, but also because i can kick off my shoes in flight and not worry about smelly feet) and i hate that i still have to take them off - yet another reason i wear flip flops, because i can easily remove them and put them on in security.

though i will say i got fucking interrogated in security when i flew to australia once. i had my visa, return ticket, everything, and i've got to admit that was the only time anyone in security in any country made me feel like i'd done something wrong just by visiting. (it wasn't harsh or something but the guy made me feel like no answer was the right answer.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
And here I am grumpy about how much security there is at Aussie/Kiwi airports compared to the nineties! US airports felt like prisons to me; it was kind of unnerving.
god i miss the nineties in terms of airport security. i loved being able to just walk up to a gate in an airport. i think of movies where people would drop someone off at the airport and wait at the gate, you can't do that anymore. it was neat when you're six and your dad goes on a business trip and you can be at the gate to get a hug when he gets off the plane. plus i had an online friend once who was flying to europe and had a couple hours' layover where i lived, so i went to the airport to meet them. couldn't do that today, unless they came out and were willing to go through security again.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #327
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
there is a subway in
Wait, there's a subway in LA?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I heard the one thing that actually made airplane flying safer after 9/11/01 was strengthening the cockpit doors.

That's it. For everything we've done, that's it. What blows my mind is how easy it'd be to bomb the big long security line, which would have the same disruptive effect as actually making it onto the plane.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

bombing the security line would not have the same effect as flying a plane into a building and taking it down.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #330
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe, but I'd imagine it would take a fair slice out of the airport and surrounds.