Local Time: 12:09 AM
If Osama was Tupac, who was his Biggie?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #287
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge
My guess is that the helicopter was passing over some body of water, the gunner slid the door open and gave Osama's wrapped body a few stiff kicks (it wouldn't take only one, that's too easy) until it flopped out of the plane and splashed unceremoniously. The fish beneath the water scattered at the vibration.

One small silver fish bravely swam up to the white mass and picked at the white cloth. Then another, and another. And suddenly, out of nowhere, a school of piranha that had migrated centuries early from the mouth of the Amazon appeared en masse. The small silver fish opened his mouth to protest, but thought better of it.

At long last this afternoon, the remaining piece of tattered white cloth settled on the ocean floor. It was inspected by a bottom trawling crustacean, but finding no nutrients, it continued on.

Sounds reasonable

Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
The only part of this that I question is the burial at sea. It seems strange to dispose of his body so quickly regardless of respect for Islamic laws. I'd think the obvious thing to do would be to hang onto the body but claim it was buried at sea to appease anyone who might be offended otherwise.
Yeah, the burial at sea is indeed "fishy".
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Okay come on now lets quit the Obama fanaticism and the Bush devilism.
Fanaticism? I do love Obama but I have been known to criticize him too, I know he isn't perfect, but the man has a brain. Come on now.
I don't think I am demonizing Bush by saying that history shows the man has a penchant for starting wars and dropping bombs on people. Shock and Awe?
Ya, Bush was a peacemaker for sure

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. "
GWB
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
would you be offended if i said i consider your thoughts on this to be absolute bat shit crazy, to the point where i am worried about your mental well being?

ditto for you, too.
How dare I question Obama? You're right, I must be mentally ill. After all, every sane person knows that he is beyond suspicion or questioning.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Ok, I'm prepared to accept that he is dead. I just find the timing of the announcement a bit suspicious.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #292
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D.

How dare I question Obama? You're right, I must be mentally ill. After all, every sane person knows that he is beyond suspicion or questioning.
Oh stop with that horse shit.

Liking or disliking Obama has nothing to do with this. For one, I think Obama's been a mediocre president at best.

I just happen to believe that anyone who believes any of these wacky ass conspiracy theories that have come out today are just as bat shit crazy as the 9/11 loose change thermite paint wackadoodles.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #293
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Ok, I'm prepared to accept that he is dead. I just find the timing of the announcement a bit suspicious.
Well, look at it this way - we've been on the road to being fucked for quite some time, and it's not going to get any better.

So by that token, I don't know that there would have been a less-suspect time to announce it. Right?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #294
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Everybody knows May is sweeps month.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #295
Blue Crack Distributor

Barack Obama obviously only gave the go ahead to kill the biggest mass murderer in American history as a way to keep Meat Loaf from being fired.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #296
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Exactly.

My first thought was, "Oh, how convenient." Just when Dear Leader needs a popularity boost. I wouldn't be surprised if they knew where he was for a long time and were saving him for a rainy day. And it's not like anything is going to change because of it.
You're letting your hatred cloud your thought. You are smarter than this.

And Obama's needed a popularity boost WAY before this, so it's not "just when"...
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #297
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
My guess is that the helicopter was passing over some body of water, the gunner slid the door open and gave Osama's wrapped body a few stiff kicks (it wouldn't take only one, that's too easy) until it flopped out of the plane and splashed unceremoniously.
I know you're joking, but FWIW they actually had a funeral service for him aboard the USS Carl Vinson before they tipped him into the sea.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #298
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
was there any other option after 9-11 than retaliatory violence in some form?
Politically, no, but the "some form" we chose sure spiraled out of hand fast. If only this had happened ten years ago...

I'd characterize the primary mood of most neighbors, colleagues and students I spoke to today as closer to grim satisfaction than euphoria or gloating. I'd be lying if I denied feeling some of that. Humiliation is a dangerous emotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
The only part of this that I question is the burial at sea. It seems strange to dispose of his body so quickly regardless of respect for Islamic laws. I'd think the obvious thing to do would be to hang onto the body but claim it was buried at sea to appease anyone who might be offended otherwise.
I agree, Islamic law requires burial in the ground unless logistically impossible anyhow, and it seems unlikely that it'd be considered acceptable for a non-Muslim to make that call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
And lastly, I'd like to say that Pakistan is pretty much fucked now, and nothing it's government says can be taken plausibly.
That was already the case as far as Washington was concerned. Still, it would be a mistake to assume Pakistan's civilian government has knowledge of, let alone control over, all of its military's and intelligence service's operations; it unquestionably doesn't. Even so, I find it rather hard to believe the ISI would knowingly shelter Bin Laden in such an exposed site; there are far remoter places in Pakistan than that.

They may have more to lose from this than we do in other ways as well; already spokesmen for the Pakistan Taliban (TTP) have announced that Pakistan's leaders will be their prime targets for retaliation. This is off the top of my head, but I think Pakistan's death toll from terrorism-related causes since 2001 is now around 34,000.

If it's really true that no one in the Pakistani military, government or intelligence had foreknowledge of this raid like Washington is now saying...I'd love to know how the initial reaction to that phone call went. They would've had very, very little time in which to decide how they wanted it spun, and in any case likely very little say on that in the end.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #299
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Exactly.

My first thought was, "Oh, how convenient." Just when Dear Leader needs a popularity boost. I wouldn't be surprised if they knew where he was for a long time and were saving him for a rainy day. And it's not like anything is going to change because of it.
honest to jesus. if this had been announced under a republican president, i'd have questioned it...jokingly.

the only rational part of your post is the last sentence. apparently killing a 54 year old crazy arab with kidney problems vindicates the thousands of troops killed over the last 10 years, the destabilisation of the middle east, the hundreds of thousands of civillian deaths and the gradual winding back of freedoms in the name of "security". sure.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #300
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
No body is suspicious. And really killing someone is not justice. Even if he is a murderer himself.
no body? what did they perform dna tests on then? what did they bury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You're letting your hatred cloud your thought. You are smarter than this.

And Obama's needed a popularity boost WAY before this, so it's not "just when"...
plus, look at all the past instances where bin laden has released a tape. he could very easily let the world know he isn't dead (by including a tv on in the background covering some current event or something to show it wasn't really recorded 2 years ago) and completely undo any quick approval boost obama got. i really don't think he'd risk his entire re-election on that - because let's fact it, if it turns out he was wrong (be it he'd been misinformed or he just outright lied to everyone about bin laden being killed) there's no chance he'd be re-elected.