Orthorexia - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:20 PM
This article is an interesting read and connecting of the dots between food production, energy, health care, climate change and national security. I liked this piece in the middle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/ma...pagewanted=all

Quote:
Changing the food culture must begin with our children, and it must begin in the schools. Nearly a half-century ago, President Kennedy announced a national initiative to improve the physical fitness of American children. He did it by elevating the importance of physical education, pressing states to make it a requirement in public schools. We need to bring the same commitment to “edible education” — in Alice Waters’s phrase — by making lunch, in all its dimensions, a mandatory part of the curriculum. On the premise that eating well is a critically important life skill, we need to teach all primary-school students the basics of growing and cooking food and then enjoying it at shared meals.

To change our children’s food culture, we’ll need to plant gardens in every primary school, build fully equipped kitchens, train a new generation of lunchroom ladies (and gentlemen) who can once again cook and teach cooking to children. We should introduce a School Lunch Corps program that forgives federal student loans to culinary-school graduates in exchange for two years of service in the public-school lunch program. And we should immediately increase school-lunch spending per pupil by $1 a day — the minimum amount food-service experts believe it will take to underwrite a shift from fast food in the cafeteria to real food freshly prepared.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:20 AM
I grew up with a girl whose parents were ultra-strict in what they served and what she could eat. We tried to get her to eat a little piece of chocolate once, and she put it in her mouth, but she quickly spat it out. Not because she didn't like it, but because she was paranoid of all the terrible things that would happen to her if she swallowed it I'm all for parents setting a good example and serving healthy meals, thereby instilling good habits, but that's ridiculous. Let the kid have a cupcake once in a while. They're kids.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRmGrl View Post
What's saddest to me is I think some of the parents (and let's face it: it's probably mostly the moms ) that are obsessing over the "good foods" / "bad foods" aren't doing it just because it's a healthier option. I think for some of these folks, it's because it gives them a sense of superiority - 'Look at how much more I care about my family because I put so much effort into selecting the best/purest/safest/healthiest foods. I'm obviously a superior parent to you, with your non-organic peanut butter and mass-produced jam on (horrors!!!) refined flour white bread. Gasp!!!'
I think that's a lot of it right there. I think it's pathetic when parents' motivations are how they appear to the outside world and not the true benefit of the child.