Online Blackout of your kids? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:59 PM
Online Blackout of your kids?

Facebook privacy and kids: Don’t post photos of your kids online. - Slate Magazine

I thought this article was interesting and was curious as to what you all might think.

On the face of it, it seems like these parents are making serious but reasonable efforts to protect their child's privacy.

But as I continued to read, it started coming across less like protection and more like controlling behavior. In the end it seemed obvious to me that the person most likely to violate their iron wall of internet privacy that they've built will be their own daughter. Kids being what they are she will likely start her own Facebook profile, internet presence etc perhaps even without their knowledge and more than likely before they deem her ready to use everything they've set up.

To me the most obvious concerns about online posting they failed to address at all: Giving away to the general public details about where you live and when you'll be out of town, and the possiblity of your children becoming the target of unsavory types online.

I feel like I take fairly reasonable precautions with my kids. I have a private blog for my sons that can only be viewed by people I approve. I do post about them and pictures of them occasionally on Facebook. I have some photos on my own public blog but they are usually in a group setting. I'm sure this will seem too loose for some, but I'm not really interested in living a life of constant anxiety.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. What say you?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Well, I thought the business of creating a website, a blog and email account and stuff for their kid when she was still tiny and holding them for her was weird. Registering her name as a domain name and choosing her name based on internet research! That was a little cuckoo, imo. And actually it felt a little invasive to me, like they were trying to establish a lot of control not just over her safety but over her future self.

My kids' images do exist online. My sisters' do not. For both of us, FB knows that the kids exist, their names and their ages roughly. She posts no images anywhere and doesn't allow others to, but she has like 500 fb friends and I have like 60, so I think it balances out a bit. I try to be respectful of not posting stuff that's quite personal or that could be embarrassing, while also trying to give family and friends a sense of our life. It's tricky. The commodification of personal information on the internet is problematic for all of us, not just kids.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:59 PM
My God, that article seemed horribly paranoid.

I confess I stopped reading by the time it started to sound like the author was terrified of the Minority Report universe attacking their friend's child.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

That article was written by some batshit crazy person. I do agree with the initial concept of not putting every single detail of your kid's life on the Internet, in the same way I wouldn't put my own name and other personal information so readily out there. But their execution, their plan to protect their kid online, kind of makes me wonder if they don tin foil hats before searching to make sure they don't choose a name that's already on the Internet--it also makes me wonder what kind of dreadful name/spelling of it they gave their kid if they searched every major social media site for duplicates, and why that would protect their daughter more than an incredibly common name of which there are tons of others already out there.

I wound up skimming the paranoia toward the end. Did they address how they're going to handle her friends tagging her photos or mentioning her name on their own Facebook pages? Or are they just going to raise her in a bubble as well?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
My God, that article seemed horribly paranoid.

I confess I stopped reading by the time it started to sound like the author was terrified of the Minority Report universe attacking their friend's child.
The part where they essentially said we're only a little ways away, technologically speaking, from the average person being able to use their phone to scan someone upon sight and learn their deepest secrets and credit card numbers? Tin foil hats, man. They'll keep that shit locked down tight!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Wow, overdoing things a bit much?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Always name your children after obscure historical figures.

For example: Constantine XI Palaiologos
Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What if they hire a Byzantine expert to hunt you down? I was going to name one my kids Belisarius, that's when the Byzies were cool.

Anyway yep that article is pretty paranoid, you would wonder about their mental condition.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Nicephorus Phocas
Old 09-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:59 PM
I will admit that I post a lot of pictures of my daughter on Facebook. Sometimes I fear that I'm going a little overboard but I'm just too damn proud of a parent not to share with my "friends".

Personally I don't see a huge risk in doing so though.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Those parents are thoughtful and doing the right thing.

When this person grows up she will appreciate what her parents did.

FB and other social postings are affecting people today. I know people that have been denied housing based on their social media postings.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
Galeonbroad

I think when this person grows up she'll feel suffocated by the obsessive control of her parents.

Why would you want your parents to pick your name on basis of online availability?
Why would you want your parents to decide on things that determine your online future life? Your emailadress, facebook profile, everything?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I think when this person grows up she'll feel suffocated by the obsessive control of her parents.

Why would you want your parents to pick your name on basis of online availability?
Why would you want your parents to decide on things that determine your online future life? Your emailadress, facebook profile, everything?
This can especially be a problem if the parents are helicopter/narcissistic type
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Unless you plan on living "off the grid," digital content for any individual will eventually make its way online.

The article proposes one way of addressing the situation, but I see it as similar to those families who remove televisions from the household. At some point, the child will discover television. And watch it.

The way I approach this with my children is to focus on the one thing they own - their reputation. Be aware of what you say and what you do - others will see and remember. Even if you don't have a Facebook profile, all it takes is another person with a camera phone to capture an image.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:59 PM
i can't imagine the fear kids must have today knowing that their bad moments can potentially be videoed and shared amongst classmates. the fear of humiliation must be overwhelming at times.