Online Blackout of your kids? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i can't imagine the fear kids must have today knowing that their bad moments can potentially be videoed and shared amongst classmates. the fear of humiliation must be overwhelming at times.
What surprises me is the number of people who opt-in to digital environments where fear and humiliation runs rampant.

Ask.fm, and its predecessor formspring.me, allow individuals to open themselves us to abuse through the receipt of anonymous questions.

Kid's behavior hasn't changed (bullying isn't a new phenomena), but the digital age allows it to come at us faster and with a higher degree of anonymity.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i can't imagine the fear kids must have today knowing that their bad moments can potentially be videoed and shared amongst classmates. the fear of humiliation must be overwhelming at times.
Well, that fear must be complicated by the fact that kids now don't grow up with the same expectation of privacy that previous generations had. They think of themselves as performers to an audience from quite young and participate in it actively, posting selfies and keeping micro accounts of their lives on social media sites and so on. It must be very loaded for them. To exist socially for them means to exist digitally, but at the same time the stakes and opportunities for disaster are very high.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post

Well, that fear must be complicated by the fact that kids now don't grow up with the same expectation of privacy that previous generations had. They think of themselves as performers to an audience from quite young and participate in it actively, posting selfies and keeping micro accounts of their lives on social media sites and so on. It must be very loaded for them. To exist socially for them means to exist digitally, but at the same time the stakes and opportunities for disaster are very high.
Do you really think they actually think of it in those terms?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I can't put my hands on quotes right now. But I think looking at the behavior of kids would substantiate it. I'm thinking of twelve and thirteen year old kids sending sexualized pictures of themselves, as a clear example of the performer aspect. They are creating an identity, an image of themselves. This is true of all of us- we filter what we put on social media to create a particular picture of ourselves; wry and funny, harrassed office worker, blissful mama or whatever. Kids are just also participating in that, whether they can consciously name it or not.

As for the "to exist socially is to exist digitally" aspect, I think yes, and again observation substantiates it. I remember particularly the 14 year old girl who hung herself in the closet a couple of years ago. What's amazing is that kids create an identity and a social life online, and then when it goes bad (people start spreading rumors or passing embarrassing photos, a fb friends turns out to be a hoax) they can't back away from it- can't disengage and say okay, this is not so important. Because it is-- the way they are talked about and viewed online bleeds over into every aspect of their social lives. I remember in that story of this 14 year old girl, she was sitting at the computer for hours with her mom literally standing behind her chair, trying to help figure out how to solve or stop the vicious bullying, and neither of them considered just turning off the computer and saying fuck it to them all. They felt they couldn't because it was quite literally her social life. You see that a lot in cases of teen rape, the Stuebenville case for example, that what occurs online can take over a kids' life. In many cases kids are actually finding out that they were victimized through social media- they literally knew after everyone else did. So the penalty for not participating can be very high, but so is the one for participating.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 PM
How NOT to protect your child.

Ex-NFL star Brian Holloway may be sued by parents of teens who allegedly trashed his upstate NY home
Old 09-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
Amazing how so many people fall into the "my kid will never do that!" mentality.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm missing something here. What are they trying to sue him for? Haven't we established that kids who want to be fucksticks, post pictures of themselves being fucksticks on the Internet, should be fair game to be called out for their fuckstickery using said pictures?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I heard on CBS This Morning that they're trying to sue him for misuse of their kids' photos...which those kids posted on public social media for the whole world to see. Yeah, I'm lost too.