Ongoing Rob Ford crack cocaine scandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually had no idea that he'd be in office since the turn of the millenium. I guess his rise to mayor doesn't seem so insane now.

This is a really good obit - talks about some of his good (seems like he was very committed and loyal to his constituents, going beyond that of which other councillors would do) - but ultimately says that yeah, this was a pretty bad dude. Rob Ford: 1969–2016 | National Post

Set city transit back at least 20 years literally on his first day in office, attended city events in an official capacity high on an assortment of crack, cocaine, cannabis, ecstasy, hashish and so drunk he (a 300+ lbs man) was blacked out, shoved over elderly councilwomen in chambers while council was in session, but hey, he filled the potholes in his ward and returned his constituents' phone calls. :up:

What's changed in two years? You've gone from being sympathetic to glad he's dead.

I'm not sure of the political leanings of the National Post, perhaps it's right-wing and therefore glossed over too much. (I did think minimising sexual harassment and a heap of other things to one paragraph was a bit shit.)

well I'm guilty of hating politicians extremely (i.e. Antonin Scalia) but I can't hate Rob that much because I haven't known him well enough.

There's been a lot more dug up about him and the rest of the Ford family in recent years that you probably didn't hear much about but was reported in the local media. Hence where a lot of the things I said come from that had not been brought up when the crack scandal came up.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm glad he's dead, and I certainly empathize with the way he died (I wouldn't wish a painful death from cancer on anyone, god forbid), and with his family that they had to suffer that loss. I'm not totally heartless.

It seems, especially locally, like everyone has suddenly forgotten what a dumpster fire of a human being he was, and is fawning all over him about how he was "a great politician" because he returned his constituents' phone calls and got the potholes in his ward filled in. I watched the news tonight and every interview was about how amazing Rob Ford was and how he'll be missed. A direct quote from the newscast: "he was a controversial figure, but the good he did far outweighs the scandal". Excuse me? Is there one single tangible thing anyone can point to and say "Rob Ford accomplished that, and it benefited the city"? Much less anything that outweighs being a violent, abusive, dangerous criminal???

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, TORONTO. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

Ah, okay. I see.

Also I mean it's fucking ludicrous that someone like him had a career for that long. He should have been sacked a long, long, long time ago. Many of the things I read that weren't the drugs were bad enough to have any councillor sacked.

I guess it's the same climate that has allowed Trump to become what he is.

Rob Ford was a buffoon but of ALL THINGS he did, actually he was completely right about transit. Subways are the way to go. Most people have no clue about the cost of LRTs and the fact that municipalities across the GTA have a multi-year plan that goes like this: BRT --> LRT --> Subway. That is why BRTs are being built in the centre lane so that they can undergo conversion fairly easily without relocating utilities in 10-15 years and subways to follow. So congratulations to us taxpayers, we'll be footing the bill either 3x (where BRTs are being built) or likely 2x (where LRTs are being built). Most people who shit on Ford for destroying transit can't actually explain why it is that LRTs are better and why we're good to spend money on them. The TTC owns TBMs used for the Spadina extension, if there was political will and intelligent infrastructure spending, they could be digging a station or two a year on the existing subway system. Yes you wouldn't get the grand opening of a new 20 km line at once, but it would do a hell of a lot more to help our transit than slow LRTs which also bog down traffic.

Maddening, but this is sort of my life's work now, and obscenely, on the LRT side. :lol:

It seems, especially locally, like everyone has suddenly forgotten what a dumpster fire of a human being he was, and is fawning all over him about how he was "a great politician" because he returned his constituents' phone calls and got the potholes in his ward filled in. I watched the news tonight and every interview was about how amazing Rob Ford was and how he'll be missed. A direct quote from the newscast: "he was a controversial figure, but the good he did far outweighs the scandal". Excuse me? Is there one single tangible thing anyone can point to and say "Rob Ford accomplished that, and it benefited the city"? Much less anything that outweighs being a violent, abusive, dangerous criminal???

That's generally what happens after someone dies, people overlook the negative and accentuate the positive. Similar thing happened when Marion Barry passed away and more recently with Buddy Cianci in Providence.

Back
Top Bottom