War Child

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

Writing the "pt 2" made me sad.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1466479443.249302.jpg  

Old 06-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yeah, I thought the same thing about having a "Part 2" to this kind of thread, too .

Old 06-20-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Caleb - I don't have much to add to your last post to me in the previous thread. I think we're on similar pages there.

BVS - the shooter of Jo Cox yelled "Britain first" and a few other similar phrases, as attested by multiple witnesses. In court he gave his name as "death to traitors, freedom for Britain".

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Just remember, it's not the guns. It's never the guns. It's always everything else.

Knives don't chop tomatoes. People do.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:59 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Keepin' it classy, this guy :

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-c...211148840.html

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A Republican candidate for Congress in Florida has launched a contest on his Facebook campaign page to give away a semi-automatic rifle on Independence Day.

Greg Evers announced the giveaway barely a week after a shooting at a gay nightclub killed 49 people in Orlando, which is about five hours drive from the Florida Panhandle congressional district Evers seeks to represent.

"With terrorism incidents on the rise, both at home and abroad, protecting our constitutional rights has never been more important," Evers said. "With all that's happening in the world today, I've never felt stronger about the importance of the second amendment in protecting our homeland than I do now."

Evers has served in the Florida Legislature since 2001, including the Senate the past six years. The National Rifle Association has given him an A-plus grade for the past 15 years.
If we needed any further proof that the NRA needs a serious clue...

I can't help but be amused at the fact that whomever wins this rifle will have to pass background and security checks in order to keep it, though .
Old 06-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I guess we now know which terrorist organization Congress fears most.

It isn't "RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM."
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

I mean... Reagan and Poppa Bush both went against the NRA. But these cowards can't even make common sense change that over 90% of Americans support.

Fucking infuriating.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

With respect to the no fly lists, surely if they are so problematic, there should be a commission (governments love these) to review them asap and introduce new and consistent processes. As an aside I know somebody who was placed on a terror no-fly list a number of years ago, the father of a friend of mine. He had the exact same name (first, 2 middle and last - most of them fairly common) and exact same date of birth as an individual who was identified as an IRA terrorist. It made for one very unpleasant airport experience but he has always said that to remove himself from the list was actually a surprisingly simple and quick process once it was obvious that he'd lived his whole life in rural Alberta working as a welder.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

And there will the rare and occasional situation like that with gun purchases as well.

But surely the occasional person having to wait a little while longer to purchase a gun is better than what we have now, unless if course you support terrorist activity, which the NRA, its members and those who take money from them, do.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
War Child

The underlying assumption being made is that the only complications will result from government incompetence. To stick with the Patriot Act analogy, this would be akin to arguing that the only time any non-terrorists would find their calls being listened in on would be in the microscopic number of cases in which you have the same name as an actual terrorist

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 06-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:12 AM
I don't even know the details of the bills introduced (other than one being related to the no-fly list, which, although seems like a no-brainer, I was leery of, because the no-fly list is problematic), but it seemed obvious to me that they agreed to have them introduced just to stop the fillibuster, right?

"FINE, all RIGHT, if we say 'yes,' will you SHUT UP?" Of course they were going to be voted down.

If there's other info I'm missing, I'd love to know, because obviously I haven't read up on it too much.

That being said, of course it's incredibly awful that they are so unwilling to even consider anything. Nope, can't even let the CDC do studies on it. It's important to keep the information going on Twitter and Facebook how many of these assholes take money from the NRA.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

At the end of the day, it's a tricky balancing issue. More assault rifles means more people die in high profile incidents like the Orlando tragedy. But more assault rifles also make for a much safer country because it keeps he criminals in check.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
At the end of the day, it's a tricky balancing issue. More assault rifles means more people die in high profile incidents like the Orlando tragedy. But more assault rifles also make for a much safer country because it keeps he criminals in check.
... what?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post

Without picking sides, how many lives have been saved by assault rifles from armed citizens who whipped out their AR-15 to stop a bad guy?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hardly any Americans owned assault rifles during World War II and over 400,000 of them ended up dying because of the actions of Germany, Japan and Italy.

Now? None of those countries can do shit to us.

Americans were in World War II for about four years, so that's 100,000 lives lost per year, meaning that assault rifles are saving that many lives a year now. Wow!