Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually finally getting around to seriously thinking about buying. (can I add another -ly word in there? Yes, I probably can.)

Seattle isn't as bad as the Bay Area yet, but if Amazon keeps up with its insane growth, it might be soon. Haven't yet been priced out of my beloved Ballard neighborhood (I've rented the same apt there for 12 years now), but I'm waiting for the day I get a letter saying they're tearing down the building to make shiny, new expensive condos or apartments.

So time to start shopping while I'm not under pressure. Hoo boy.

i'll be passing through next week. but literally passing through -- i'm being brought to some lake in the Cascades, and have brutal flights. i'll try and wave again. :wave:

i think Joan Didion once wrote that to live in New York and be happy you need to be either very rich or very young. i totally get that. and to coexist in 450 square feet is an accomplishment. i look at these people on Tiny House Hunters who claim they want to exist in 300sqf and feel the need to slap them.

i still have no idea why i never lived there -- i always sort of assumed it would happen given where i grew up and my chosen field, but i've made it work in DC for over a decade now and life has happened. it's hardly cheap here, but it's still like 1/3rd less than NYC or SF. reading what you've written, it kind of solidifies the decision that Memphis and i have made about NYC -- unless someone wants to, like, double my salary, there's little that could get us to move there at this point in our lives, especially when it's an easy train ride away and a perfect weekend trip. if we did move, it would be to head to the West Coast and really change our lifestyles. there are times when the East Coast combination of blizzards, humidity, and congestion make one long for the cool air off the Pacific. but then again, i like that i can walk everywhere.

maybe we should start an FYM real estate thread.

It is crazy... Everytime we travel and either he a VRBO or visit friends in other cities and find out what they have for what they've paid it does make us want to vomit a little. Eventually you remind yourself that "yea, but it's Cleveland" and the small space in NY doesn't seem so bad anymore.

We've actually looked at DC. Wife has family in Arlington and went to school at GW, so we're in the area often. Might still be the plan at some point... but I'm with you, if we're going to move I'd prefer to just pack up and hear out somewhere with minimal snow and minimal humidity.

Near record heat this weekend. Triple digit temps and high humidity pushing heat indexes towards 110.

It may one day be worth 8 months of clouds to avoid such meteorological atrocities.

Or go to San Diego, where both summer is 75, winter is 65, and clouds don't exist except for the beautiful and refreshing summer marine layer.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Absolutely great bones, it's across the alley from me. Lucia, the lady that owned it moved in in 1956. She had two sons, 8 and 12, she had the 3 bedrooms, living-room and art studio added on the front doubling the square feet. The sliding paper walls are way cool. Anyways she passed away a year ago she was 98 and her son came down and I help them rehab it to lease out and sell. Great bones is correct. Buyer might scrape it and build 2 condos on the lot.

Or go to San Diego, where both summer is 75, winter is 65, and clouds don't exist except for the beautiful and refreshing summer marine layer.

San Diego is much hotter than 75 in summer. Usually it's decent May-July. But August-October are brutal or have been last two years.

But winter is wonderful. Coldest it gets during day is 55 and that's for about a week.

If you can get a place with a/c, you're in good shape.

I was in Portland this last weekend. Weirdest, dirtiest city I've ever been to. Horrible traffic, little to no humor, and honestly the fattest most out of shape population I've ever seen.

And I spent 35 years in Iowa.

Go to Seattle instead :)

I rent a 4-bedroom rowhouse with three friends that is located about three miles outside of Philadelphia. The rent is a hair over $2000 total.

I was in Portland this last weekend. Weirdest, dirtiest city I've ever been to. Horrible traffic, little to no humor, and honestly the fattest most out of shape population I've ever seen.

Really? I had the exact opposite reaction. All I saw were lovely neighborhoods, mildly annoying hipsters who were also very keen on supporting your living your best life now, plus we did some gorgeous hikes and visited wineries along the Hood River. Plus I had the single best Thai meal of my life at Pok Pok. Granted, the weather was perfect which helps, but it was near paradisical.

It seems strange for someone from SoCal to call the PNW "dirty" -- and I like SoCal a lot. (I don't mean that in a confrontational way).

You want dirty, spend some time in ILLadelphia. ;-)

Last edited:
I have a 3-bedroom 2000 sq ft house with a pool for $1550. Practically the same price. 10 miles out of downtown Orlando but in Florida 10 miles is 15 minutes.

Really? I had the exact opposite reaction. All I saw were lovely neighborhoods, mildly annoying hipsters who were also very keen on supporting your living your best life now, plus we did some gorgeous hikes and visited wineries along the Hood River. Plus I had the single best Thai meal of my life at Pok Pok. Granted, the weather was perfect which helps, but it was near paradisical.

It's a gorgeous area around Portland. The falls and just so much green.

I just found people being weird for the sake of it. Not the most friendly, and that's coming from San Diego. But I spent a ton of my life in Iowa, where people are just naturally friendly.

I was really hopeful for Portland (my fiancé and I are looking to move), but I just did not get a good vibe there. Totally on me, and don't mean to paint a broad stroke of everyone in the area. But it was by far the least likable city I've ever been too.

It's a gorgeous area around Portland. The falls and just so much green.

I just found people being weird for the sake of it. Not the most friendly, and that's coming from San Diego. But I spent a ton of my life in Iowa, where people are just naturally friendly.

I was really hopeful for Portland (my fiancé and I are looking to move), but I just did not get a good vibe there. Totally on me, and don't mean to paint a broad stroke of everyone in the area. But it was by far the least likable city I've ever been too.

Ok, fair enough. There is a self-aware weirdness. The ice cream flavors at Salt-n-Sundry were beyond Portlandia parody.

I love Seattle too.

(And I like Philly).

Ok back on topic.

I felt I would have been shot if I didn't smoke a cig or wear socks with my Birkenstocks.

Things have settled again on guns. It's only been a week since 3 cops were killed.

Which makes me wonder, if there law enforcement officers were killed (and a few more hurt) responding to a situation of a known possible shooter on loose, what chance do us regular folk stand against shooters?

These people were trained for situations like this, and they lost their lives.

So the idea of arming all citizens to protect each other against bad guys seems illogical.

I get the fantasy though. I would love to be a hero, whether it's saving the day with a gun or my bare hands (I have over a decade of martial arts training). But I'm not delusional. If I'm in an active shooting scenario, I'm most likely going to run. Gun or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom