Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked at our local mall, I had a few days where I'd think about ways to escape in case something like that ever happened there. Given how...off...a few customers I encountered were (one particularly notable experience sticks out in my mind as THE creepiest customer encounter I've ever had), and how often people brought gun magazines at our store, it wasn't all that hard to imagine such a scenario happening.

Horrifying news about the Istanbul bombing, too. Should we have another thread for any further discussion of that, I wonder?

It's sad all around. My fiance and I were out for ice cream last weekend and an awkward person with a big bag was sitting two tables away from us. Seemed far fetched that someone in Wisconsin would shoot up an ice cream parlor, but you just never know any more.

We decided to move to the patio because at least we figured if she started shooting up the place, we'd have enough of a head start to get out of there safely.

What flavor did you get?

Considering there was a shooting at the prom in fucking tiny Antigo of all places, yes, I agree with you.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that there was an active shooter at work. That was really disturbing.

And then I started thinking about it (not the first time I'd thought of it). I work for a very well-known company who puts itself out there publicly on certain issues, and it's not hard to imagine some whackjob would target us - more likely a store than our corporate office, but again, you never know.

And this week, new in the building, are updated emergency procedures, including, of course, what to do in case of a shooter.

I don't want to live on this planet in this country anymore.

:(

I work at a University and it definitely crosses my mind at times. Some of the students we have had to send home are scary. We even have active shooter drills. Heck they are more commen than our earthquake drills. What a world.

One of the universities in Melbourne normally has a mid-year Gallipoli trip, and many students would have been arriving in Istanbul today. Fortunately it was cancelled this year.

Considering there was a shooting at the prom in fucking tiny Antigo of all places, yes, I agree with you.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that there was an active shooter at work. That was really disturbing.

And then I started thinking about it (not the first time I'd thought of it). I work for a very well-known company who puts itself out there publicly on certain issues, and it's not hard to imagine some whackjob would target us - more likely a store than our corporate office, but again, you never know.

And this week, new in the building, are updated emergency procedures, including, of course, what to do in case of a shooter.

At my current work we joke about where we would hide and barricade ourselves if there was suddenly a zombie apocalypse. If I were in the States I suspect I would make far more serious, tangible plans for what to do if there were a shooter, and it doesn't particularly make me want to ever look for jobs there.

We had active shooter situation drills at my schools since even before 9/11. They had code phrases they would announce over the loudspeaker to indicate what type of drill it was.

Yeah, events like Columbine played a big role in that. I don't remember our school having active shooter drills, but I do remember teachers being more scrutinizing of students, and constant locker searches (often those were for drugs, but after Columbine and Jonesboro and such, I don't doubt they were looking for weapons, too) and whatnot. I think my sister did have to learn a couple lockdown drills when she was in school, though.

I also remember kids occasionally calling in fake bomb threats after Columbine. That was charming :|.

2 suicide bombers hit the security lines. Turkey has had its rash of terrorism that goes under reported, probably because it's the crossroads of civilization and not in the industrialized west. However, this time I expect more coverage since they hit the international gateway to Turkey and some of the dead are likely to be foreign nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Unfortunately, the Turkish state fuels and enables this sort of terrorism.

My high school had lockdown drills in the early 2000s, I suppose because everybody was a little rattled after Port Arthur and Columbine. But fire drills were much more common, and everywhere I've ever worked has only run fire drills.

Opening scene in The Children of Men.

Never had an active shooter drill in high school, but I graduated shortly before Columbine.

We've had one active shooter drill at work, but given how high up in the sky we are, barricading ourselves in the kitchen seems like a bad option. The best thing is to get out. Glad we have actual security to get in and out of the building.

We did lockdown drills in high school and in college when I was a resident assistant (I lived in the dorms for free and helped out first year students), we did active shooter training. I made a comment both years I was an RA about how fucked up it was that we live in a country where we have to do active shooter training, as it's such a common occurrence that we need to be prepared for it.

We did lockdown drills in high school and in college when I was a resident assistant (I lived in the dorms for free and helped out first year students), we did active shooter training. I made a comment both years I was an RA about how fucked up it was that we live in a country where we have to do active shooter training, as it's such a common occurrence that we need to be prepared for it.

I did lockdown drills in high school (you're about same age as me, so should have something in common) but I never did that in high school. still, its still sad that we have to do that, though.

Also there was this weird gun-related incident at UMich campus (specifically, chemistry building which somehow houses ROTC program currently) 2 years ago, I think. It was terrible, really.

Yeah, that was crazy about Antigo. If an officer hadn't been patrolling the parking lot, and took the shooter out, it could have been much worse.

I'm sure this is no fun and inconvenient, but I shudder to think of the far worse inconvenience a responsible gun owner might be subjected to if stronger gun safety legislation were to pass and he'd be unable to buy semi-automatics, have to undergo a background check, get licensed, registered, insured.

Please. Think of the responsible gun owners. They should always be in our thoughts.

I did lockdown drills in high school (you're about same age as me, so should have something in common) but I never did that in high school. still, its still sad that we have to do that, though.

Also there was this weird gun-related incident at UMich campus (specifically, chemistry building which somehow houses ROTC program currently) 2 years ago, I think. It was terrible, really.

University of Oregon hasn't had any incidents thankfully. We did have a guy in a mask wandering around off-campus with a fake gun this year. Then the guy was able to get into a residence hall during a power outage and was knocking on random doors, which freaked out my residents. UCC is about an hour south though and that was just awful. That was a really bad, emotional day for the whole state.

I'm sure this is no fun and inconvenient, but I shudder to think of the far worse inconvenience a responsible gun owner might be subjected to if stronger gun safety legislation were to pass and he'd be unable to buy semi-automatics, have to undergo a background check, get licensed, registered, insured.

Please. Think of the responsible gun owners. They should always be in our thoughts.

Oh god, that is the worst injustice in the world. My heart weeps for those poor souls who might not be able to buy military style weapons. I'll be keeping them in my thoughts

We did have a guy in a mask wandering around off-campus with a fake gun this year. Then the guy was able to get into a residence hall during a power outage and was knocking on random doors, which freaked out my residents.

Yeah, that'd freak me out, too. Creeeeeeeepy. If someone somewhere can keep an eye on that guy, they should definitely do so.

Yeah, that'd freak me out, too. Creeeeeeeepy. If someone somewhere can keep an eye on that guy, they should definitely do so.

The police and professional staff knew about them, but couldn't do anything about it because they weren't breaking any laws. It was an odd couple of days when it was going on.

Yeah, I've heard of a few situations like that-unsettling behavior that's not breaking laws, but it feels like it should be. Unfortunately, that also means that with many of those kinds of situations, the unsettling behavior escalates and then some sort of tragedy that DOES involve criminal activity inevitably strikes. It's a weird fine line.

Still, I'm glad people are aware of the guy, just in case.

Active shooter in Dallas tonight at the scene of a BLM protest. 2-3 cops reported shot.

Things are escalating quickly over the past several days. Don't know what more to say.

Reports from eyewitnesses are that the shots came from several stories up, down towards the street, possibly from a parking garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom