Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:22 PM
50+ dead now in Istanbul

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Where'd you see that? I still see 28 and 31 and hope it stops there.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:22 PM
When I worked at our local mall, I had a few days where I'd think about ways to escape in case something like that ever happened there. Given how...off...a few customers I encountered were (one particularly notable experience sticks out in my mind as THE creepiest customer encounter I've ever had), and how often people brought gun magazines at our store, it wasn't all that hard to imagine such a scenario happening.

Horrifying news about the Istanbul bombing, too. Should we have another thread for any further discussion of that, I wonder?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
It's sad all around. My fiance and I were out for ice cream last weekend and an awkward person with a big bag was sitting two tables away from us. Seemed far fetched that someone in Wisconsin would shoot up an ice cream parlor, but you just never know any more.

We decided to move to the patio because at least we figured if she started shooting up the place, we'd have enough of a head start to get out of there safely.
What flavor did you get?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Where'd you see that? I still see 28 and 31 and hope it stops there.

Daily Mail. 36 confirmed. Expected to rise above 50 by morning. I guess the injuries are beyond repair. Likely people on life support. Saw the headline.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Considering there was a shooting at the prom in fucking tiny Antigo of all places, yes, I agree with you.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that there was an active shooter at work. That was really disturbing.

And then I started thinking about it (not the first time I'd thought of it). I work for a very well-known company who puts itself out there publicly on certain issues, and it's not hard to imagine some whackjob would target us - more likely a store than our corporate office, but again, you never know.

And this week, new in the building, are updated emergency procedures, including, of course, what to do in case of a shooter.

I don't want to live on this planet in this country anymore.

I work at a University and it definitely crosses my mind at times. Some of the students we have had to send home are scary. We even have active shooter drills. Heck they are more commen than our earthquake drills. What a world.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Better to be prepared, Sadly

Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Heck they are more commen than our earthquake drills. What a world.
Understandable. I mean, an earthquake in your area is extremely unlikely.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #129
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:22 AM
One of the universities in Melbourne normally has a mid-year Gallipoli trip, and many students would have been arriving in Istanbul today. Fortunately it was cancelled this year.

Quote:
Considering there was a shooting at the prom in fucking tiny Antigo of all places, yes, I agree with you.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that there was an active shooter at work. That was really disturbing.

And then I started thinking about it (not the first time I'd thought of it). I work for a very well-known company who puts itself out there publicly on certain issues, and it's not hard to imagine some whackjob would target us - more likely a store than our corporate office, but again, you never know.

And this week, new in the building, are updated emergency procedures, including, of course, what to do in case of a shooter.

At my current work we joke about where we would hide and barricade ourselves if there was suddenly a zombie apocalypse. If I were in the States I suspect I would make far more serious, tangible plans for what to do if there were a shooter, and it doesn't particularly make me want to ever look for jobs there.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

We had active shooter situation drills at my schools since even before 9/11. They had code phrases they would announce over the loudspeaker to indicate what type of drill it was.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:22 PM
Yeah, events like Columbine played a big role in that. I don't remember our school having active shooter drills, but I do remember teachers being more scrutinizing of students, and constant locker searches (often those were for drugs, but after Columbine and Jonesboro and such, I don't doubt they were looking for weapons, too) and whatnot. I think my sister did have to learn a couple lockdown drills when she was in school, though.

I also remember kids occasionally calling in fake bomb threats after Columbine. That was charming .
Old 06-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
2 suicide bombers hit the security lines. Turkey has had its rash of terrorism that goes under reported, probably because it's the crossroads of civilization and not in the industrialized west. However, this time I expect more coverage since they hit the international gateway to Turkey and some of the dead are likely to be foreign nationals.

Unfortunately, the Turkish state fuels and enables this sort of terrorism.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #133
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:22 AM
My high school had lockdown drills in the early 2000s, I suppose because everybody was a little rattled after Port Arthur and Columbine. But fire drills were much more common, and everywhere I've ever worked has only run fire drills.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 PM
My high school had an active shooter lockdown once. Not on the campus but just outside, so they locked down anyways.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:

Opening scene in The Children of Men.