Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 06-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 11:55 PM
The ACLU is now joining the ranks of those urging a "No" vote on this terror watch list bill.

They must not have heard their "We Shall Overcome" rendition.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 06-23-2016, 01:49 AM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 AM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Serious question from someone who has no love for guns or the Second Amendment: would the sort of "common sense"-style reforms that the Democrats have been proposing actually reduce the sort of mass murders that have inspired said reform ideas? I have some sympathy towards Republican arguments that laws preventing acquisition of firearms by people who fail background checks and/or are on the terrorist watch list won't be helpful when there are shooters who pass background checks and aren't on the terrorist watch list (see: Orlando).

I worry that the only gun law that will stop this sort of mass shooting is one that severely restricts what sorts of firearms are legal at all - e.g. an assault weapons ban. I would have no issue with such a ban, but it's obviously politically impossible right now. I worry that all of what the Democrats are doing adds up to meaningless posturing, even if I'm fundamentally sympathetic to their cause.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Seems like both sides are coming with pre-packaged wishlists in bundled bills. Wish they could pass one common sense paragraph as a show of good faith.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 AM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Serious question from someone who has no love for guns or the Second Amendment: would the sort of "common sense"-style reforms that the Democrats have been proposing actually reduce the sort of mass murders that have inspired said reform ideas? I have some sympathy towards Republican arguments that laws preventing acquisition of firearms by people who fail background checks and/or are on the terrorist watch list won't be helpful when there are shooters who pass background checks and aren't on the terrorist watch list (see: Orlando).

I worry that the only gun law that will stop this sort of mass shooting is one that severely restricts what sorts of firearms are legal at all - e.g. an assault weapons ban. I would have no issue with such a ban, but it's obviously politically impossible right now. I worry that all of what the Democrats are doing adds up to meaningless posturing, even if I'm fundamentally sympathetic to their cause.

I think I'm nearly in the same boat as you. Though these measures can't hurt, I sort of can't help but imagine it's not really doing down the right path to answers.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Yes, some mass shootings will still not be prevented. Some might. How many possible deaths saved per year is the tipping point for you to allow a bit more control to happen?

Quote:
I worry that all of what the Democrats are doing adds up to meaningless posturing, even if I'm fundamentally sympathetic to their cause.
Why is that a worry? It is what is happening. There will be no gun control measures passed. So the Republicans can be branded as doing nothing, blocking meaningful government and helping terrorists get guns. And the Republicans will try to brand the Democrats as taking away Second Amendment rights. And so all of this will soon fade away again, until the next mass shooting. And then it'll fade away even further.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #67
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 06:55 AM
lest we forget nothing bad actually happens with these measures passing... there's no people getting killed because they can't get their (semi)automatic gun. So it may not be the perfect solution, but it can't hurt to try.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #68
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
lest we forget nothing bad actually happens with these measures passing... there's no people getting killed because they can't get their (semi)automatic gun. So it may not be the perfect solution, but it can't hurt to try.
this is how i feel. i know here in america, my views are more extreme than almost everyone else. but i'm also willing to compromise and simply restrict guns rather than ban them altogether (the latter being what i'd prefer, but again i know that would never happen and most would disagree with me). it's one of the few positions where i cannot understand the other side, at least on some points. for example, the issue of mandatory background checks: really? this is a no-no? republicans are always "well if you've got nothing to hide, what's the problem?" regarding stuff like nsa, police checks, and the like. but a background check on people buying guns is so wrong? yes it won't prevent every shooting, but if it prevents even one, then it would be doing its job.

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:55 PM
I really wish they weren't hitching their wagons to the "No Fly No Buy" bill. The 'no fly' list is deeply problematic.

But I know there is at least one other bill they're trying to vote on, and I dig that they're trying something resembling anything to force action.

I'm also confused by the Repubs response. Don't want them to get such a show? Why not just do the vote right away? Want a vote? Fine, let's vote. NO. Okay, great. Let's move on.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think John Lewis (one of the vocal sit-in) members was on the no-Fly list

Old 06-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

That's fucked up.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

that is a second or even third reason why he should not be permitted to own an assault weapon
Old 06-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I really wish they weren't hitching their wagons to the "No Fly No Buy" bill. The 'no fly' list is deeply problematic.

But I know there is at least one other bill they're trying to vote on, and I dig that they're trying something resembling anything to force action.

I'm also confused by the Repubs response. Don't want them to get such a show? Why not just do the vote right away? Want a vote? Fine, let's vote. NO. Okay, great. Let's move on.

Yeah, it's baffling. I guess its easier to vacation than vote no

Not that I've actually read either bill, probably pretty much like most of them, but from what most of the media is reporting; the Rep version of the no fly bill seems more reasonable. Maybe just compromise on the time period?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #74
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I think John Lewis (one of the vocal sit-in) members was on the no-Fly list

I just heard that mentioned on the news. He has been on the No-Fly
list for five years. He has also been trying to get off of it for fives years. There are problems with the NF list.

Lewis must have just discovered the "gun issue" because a reporter checking his congressional record found nothing about any past concerns.

I'm still waiting to hear discussions and investigations on how the FBI failed in keeping the Orlando murderer on their radar and how that blind spot can be opened.

Russia warned the FBI twice about Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev
the two Boston terrorists.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #75
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

Lewis must have just discovered the "gun issue" because a reporter checking his congressional record found nothing about any past concerns.

Was this "journalist" a Breitbart employee? Because he's given a grade of F by the NRA as far back as the late 90s.

As far as the FBI issue, I asked you back a few pages; what would you suggest?

Can you imagine the resources, the hours, and the issues of rights when following someone for months or years and they're not doing anything illegal? And their suspicious activity stops? How do you suggest we the federal government keep tabs on them?