Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Why? $$$

I saw one list which stated that, apart from one Republican senator who also voted against the four bills, all others were recipients of money from the NRA. So they're more concerned about the possibility of losing their seat to someone else who gets paid by the NRA than about ~32,000 people in the US losing their lives to guns each year.

And we should emphasize that all of the 4 measures proposed are supported by the vast majority of the country. Like, 80+% in some cases.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
No, not really. On this particular issue, the Right has logical objection to the terror watchlist restrictions.
I disagree. Although I do agree our watchlists aren't perfect and if our politicians weren't such children I believe they could have come up with a compromise based on the two watchlist bills and allow challenge to the watchlist.

Quote:
only one is appealing directly to emotion.
And we will have to agree to disagree, both sides are playing on emotion, let's not kid ourselves.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Hardly any Americans owned assault rifles during World War II and over 400,000 of them ended up dying because of the actions of Germany, Japan and Italy.

Now? None of those countries can do shit to us.

Americans were in World War II for about four years, so that's 100,000 lives lost per year, meaning that assault rifles are saving that many lives a year now. Wow!
I agree. If we had more assault rifles, 9/11 would have never taken place. All the people in the World Trace Center could have shot the planes down before reaching the building!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I agree. If we had more assault rifles, 9/11 would have never taken place. All the people in the World Trace Center could have shot the planes down before reaching the building!

If people had been armed on those airplanes they could totally have taken those mofos out.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #50
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Why? $$$
I saw one list which stated that, apart from one Republican senator who also voted against the four bills, all others were recipients of money from the NRA. So they're more concerned about the possibility of losing their seat to someone else who gets paid by the NRA than about ~32,000 people in the US losing their lives to guns each year.
bloody ridiculous.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
If people had been armed on those airplanes they could totally have taken those mofos out.
I agree. And I bet the terrorists still would have preferred box cutters over being full armed.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

So many awful parents let them leave the house without a gun.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #53
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 01:14 PM
America, F**k Yeah! - 9GAG

wow.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
I think playing devil's advocate has its purpose.
We already have one deep, thanks.

And now we never know if he's being serious or playing devil's advocate, so good luck with that.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Also:

House Democrats Staging Sit-In to Force Gun Control Vote; Republicans Switch Off C-Span Cameras

Sorry for the Jezebel.com link, but it has a nice run-down of what's going on, with tweets and updates.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #56
War Child

Quote:

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with an airplane is a good guy with an airplane.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 06-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #57
War Child

Quote:
I don't disagree with you.

Learning more about guns -- the differences between semi-automatics and automatics, or what defines an assault rifle -- would help us make better arguments. And better persuade "responsible gun owners" that their weaponry options may have to be regulated and limited in the interest of public safety. Guns pump hot slugs of metal through human flesh, but some achieve human death in ways different from others, and in a less lethal manner. Let's focus on public safet and harm reduction like we did with automobiles in the 1960s.

I get as blindly emotional on this topic as anyone, and that's important to harness to effect change as the NRA will continue to want to sell as many guns as possible 3 weeks from now as they did 3 weeks before Orlando.

Let's be better. By being better informed and making the argument. That's how same-sex marriage won -- we had better arguments. The "bigot" argument, while true, is just one small part of an argument, and it's limited. Gay people won by coming out and explaining their lives and concentrating on equality under the law. "Marriage Equality" was a deliberate framing of the issue, I think "Gun Safety" could be the same.

I couldn't have said it better.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
I don't disagree with you.

Learning more about guns -- the differences between semi-automatics and automatics, or what defines an assault rifle -- would help us make better arguments. And better persuade "responsible gun owners" that their weaponry options may have to be regulated and limited in the interest of public safety. Guns pump hot slugs of metal through human flesh, but some achieve human death in ways different from others, and in a less lethal manner. Let's focus on public safet and harm reduction like we did with automobiles in the 1960s.

I get as blindly emotional on this topic as anyone, and that's important to harness to effect change as the NRA will continue to want to sell as many guns as possible 3 weeks from now as they did 3 weeks before Orlando.

Let's be better. By being better informed and making the argument. That's how same-sex marriage won -- we had better arguments. The "bigot" argument, while true, is just one small part of an argument, and it's limited. Gay people won by coming out and explaining their lives and concentrating on equality under the law. "Marriage Equality" was a deliberate framing of the issue, I think "Gun Safety" could be the same.
I'll wholeheartedly agree with this, too . Some really good, informative, powerful campaigning could do wonders.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Apparently Paul Ryan forced C Span to cut off its cameras during the Dem's sit in today.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with an airplane is a good guy with an airplane.
Provided the hero's plane has enough Uzi's duct-taped to the sides.