Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the country would be ready for a black woman when they weren’t ready for a white one?

I don’t get the Michele love. Is it due to her not being in politics and clearly a very well educated and well spoken person ?

Do you think the country would be ready for a black woman when they weren’t ready for a white one?

I don’t get the Michele love. Is it due to her not being in politics and clearly a very well educated and well spoken person ?

I think the female argument is a total copout for Hillary. There was long term character assassination in the works. It didn't matter that she was female (though it was easier I suppose). She was a threat, so they had at her. Doubt it's because the nation isn't ready. If there was a republican woman with shitty views about women, they'd vote for her.

Not to downplay sexism, but Hillary was far more than a female. She and Obama were vilified equally. She's just far less charismatic and far more likely to fall victim to that tactic, as she did.

I think some dems need to come out and say "yes we want to take your guns away."

I mean, after all, "ally with Russia," "ban Muslims," and "build a wall and have Mexico pay for it" were electable "unamerican" pitches.

I agree. At this point, somebody should just say, "You know what, guys, you're proving we clearly can't trust civilians with guns at all, and the GOP clearly isn't willing to doing a damn thing to stop this madness, so no more guns, period."

And if people are mad about that? If they want to whine, "But, but, Second Amendment!" Tough shit. I don't care anymore. If people really actually care, then FUCKING DO SOMETHING about this already.

I think the female argument is a total copout for Hillary. There was long term character assassination in the works. It didn't matter that she was female (though it was easier I suppose). She was a threat, so they had at her. Doubt it's because the nation isn't ready. If there was a republican woman with shitty views about women, they'd vote for her.

Not to downplay sexism, but Hillary was far more than a female. She and Obama were vilified equally. She's just far less charismatic and far more likely to fall victim to that tactic, as she did.

I think you pretty much made your argument moot when you said, “with shitty views about women, they’d vote for her. That IS sexism. I think to not understand that it played a huge role, is going beyond “downplaying”.

When you have an entire political party ignore the fact that their candidate is making judgements based on looks, talk about “bleeding from wherever”, and dismiss nonconsensual grabbing as locker room talk, coupled with a sizable swath on the left that dismiss the women vote as a group think uninformed demographic, you have a big problem with sexism.

I think you pretty much made your argument moot when you said, “with shitty views about women, they’d vote for her. That IS sexism. I think to not understand that it played a huge role, is going beyond “downplaying”.

In come BVS with his own character assassination plots.

I'm not downplaying it. She didn't lose because she's a woman. She lost because of a far more complex circumstance. Sexism played a role, but if you think she lost because she's a woman, you're plugging your ears.

In come BVS with his own character assassination plots.

I'm not downplaying it. She didn't lose because she's a woman. She lost because of a far more complex circumstance. Sexism played a role, but if you think she lost because she's a woman, you're plugging your ears.

There’s no character assassination here.

And no, I don’t think she lost because she’s a woman. I just agree that Michelle or any other woman on the left will have to put up with the same REAL character assassinations that Hillary had to put up with from the right and left.

Clinton not hitting the Midwest lost her the election. She treated this as a standard, normal election. Where past trends would hold true.

She was so wrong and we are paying for it

26 year old male
Served in Air Force
Assault Rifle and tactical gear

My friends back home have said they heard he is a leftist. Would surprise me to find one in that part of the country , but think there’s a lot of shit flying around right now.

In before false flags....

26 year old male
Served in Air Force

My friends back home have said they heard he is a leftist. Would surprise me to find one in that part of the country , but think there’s a lot of shit flying around right now.

Could still be a "leftist." I don't know what clears that possibility.

Also don't know why it matters. Left or right, hate crime (don't discount the possibility of it being a Mexican church community) or lunatic, it doesn't matter.

There's no point in addressing which domestic extremist it was if the bigger problem is far more endemic than extremism.

More importantly, a mass shooter who is a white middle aged male.

Perhaps at the airports, rather than removing shoes all middle aged men should have to remove their shirts to show the colour of their skin. All white men can then be legally detained for a period while background checks are undertaken.

26 year old male
Served in Air Force

Yeah, nah, this seems to be pretty blatant disinformation. If anyone dares look at Twitter it's been circulating right throughout far-right sectors. The far-right have been trying to pin everything on "ANTIFA" ever since they discovered what it was.

It is an interesting contradiction that's popped up in recent years, yeah. People on the right go on and on about how "the liberals" hate guns and want them taken away while simultaneously implying we're responsible for these shootings. How that's supposed to work, I don't know.

(I'm assuming that some variation of that belief's been around for some time, mind, but I've been noticing it cropping up a lot since Sandy Hook especially.)

Last edited:
But those who drew weapons during the shootings ultimately delayed the investigation as authorities pored over surveillance videotape trying to identify the assailant who killed three people, police said Thursday.

Although authorities said “a few” individuals drew handguns, they posed no physical hazard to officers. But their presence “absolutely” slowed the process of determining who, and how many, suspects were involved in the shootings, said Thornton police spokesman Victor Avila.

No shit, really?

I will never, ever understand how people honestly believe that having more guns around in these sorts of situations is a logical solution.

Glad your friend wasn't around when that shooting happened, IWB.

Yeah, nah, this seems to be pretty blatant disinformation. If anyone dares look at Twitter it's been circulating right throughout far-right sectors. The far-right have been trying to pin everything on "ANTIFA" ever since they discovered what it was.

You’re correct. Saw on Twitter the Right was sharing info he was part of antifa which was debunked.

What will happen from this shooting:

1> We're sending Thoughts and Prayers
2>. Now is not the time to talk about gun legislation (it's too early :|)
3>. We'll wrap ourselves in the 2nd amendment (with our trusty "assault" rifles by our side) *
4>. Nothing

* See what I did there Nick?

Regarding your "thoughts and prayers" comment, found this article online earlier discussing the frustration over the use of that phrase:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fed-thoughts-prayers-demand-052644272.html

Loving the Twitter responses being quoted and referenced in that article.[/QUOT

Yep... And on my way to work today I heard Trump say it's too early to talk about gun legislation this soon but it was amazing how quickly he talked about securing our borders and taking the "lottery-visa" away, talk about a double standard.

Similar to global warming, I feel we're too far gone to truly rectify the state that we're in--sure, there are measures which might mollify the issue, but when any sort of meaningful legislation requires the cooperation of a party that either denies there's a problem or turns a blind eye to it (mostly due to not wanting to lose their heavy support from lucrative donors), even the slightest step forward will ultimately be met with one step back.
I truly hate being a cynic when it comes to stuff like this, but recent history seems only to be trending in one direction; there hasn't been much to make me believe otherwise :/

Brown People -- Deported
Black People -- Arrested
White People -- Mental Health is the problem

Yeah, kinda funny how now is not the time to discuss gun control (don't politicize the tragedy!), but Trump et al. wasted *no* time bringing up immigration after the attack in NY

Yep... And on my way to work today I heard Trump say it's too early to talk about gun legislation this soon but it was amazing how quickly he talked about securing our borders and taking the "lottery-visa" away, talk about a double standard.

So true.

And of course, despite the fact that the right continues to insist this is a "mental health issue", they won't do shit to actually, y'know, provide people with affordable healthcare that would cover mental health screenings and aid and things of that sort. Better to take away all the opportunities people have to get mental health help instead.

WTF is POTUS talking about? There was no one shooting in the opposite direction until the shooter was done massacring 26 people.

26 people at one church, he was leaving to go where? reasonable assumption, to keep killing so it would have been 26 +? +?+?

He was done? Really? Seems more like he was stopped.

https://heavy.com/news/2017/11/stephen-willeford-sutherland-springs-church-neighbor-good-guy-gun/

stephen-willeford-4-e1509983940745.jpg

https://heavy.com/news/2017/11/johnnie-langendorff-church-shooting-sutherland-springs-photos/

21617906_1632970100075796_1153786093476907391_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom