Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Type of weapons = Semi-Automatic, after-market parts that make these weapons more lethal. I come from a part of the US where hunting is huge I'd like to see what a deer would look like after being shot by one of these weapons.

Ah, OK. So you'd allow people to keep their handguns, even though handguns are responsible for many more mass shootings than autos or semi-auto rifles, and most gun violence in general?

Or are you referring to all semi-automatics, and not just assault weapons?

Or, put another way, which weapons do you think people should be allowed to own legally?

Last edited:
I guess I just can't wrap my head around wanting a weapon of this nature.... it makes no sense to me or having the ability to own them.

Revolvers and Hunting Rifles...

And your not correct on the mass shooting with handguns as opposed to semi/automatics.

That's why I said "rifle". A handgun can be a semi-automatic.

Oh I see, I wasn't aware of that..... I don't think I'm getting my point across to you guys and I must apologize...

Well I messed up my evening get together plans earlier :der: so here I am.

To our Aussie, Canadian NZ friends-
namkcuR's #577 and Headache's post on NRA business etc, plus anitram's posts really give a detailed, nuanced view of why it is so difficult to get more gun control in the USA.

Nick & YBOR
when I was in my mid teens I was rather quite against people owning guns. Possibly from the year 1968 when MLK and RFK were assassinated. :sad: Not too many years later found out that England's police did not carry guns. I was not too thrilled with hunting either.

Over the years I became more relaxed about hunting but feel it should be shotguns and rifles.
As for people owning guns I also relaxed some on that.

But allowing civilians to have semiautomatics, and automatic guns, machine guns, other assault weapons, this crazy almost like a rocket launcher (has it's own stand) wit a ?50mm or more shell that can pierce maybe even a tank? :gah: Terrifying! They should be confiscated! (like that's gonna happen :rolleyes: )

Yeah, I can see a a gun, a pistol, a shotgun, a rifle for protection in rural areas- tho as some people mentioned they have to be secured away from children!

In our urban areas more buy backs, better community policing (including breaking the blue wall to at least get rid of the most racist cops) so people will trust enough police to give more info to them.

Yeah nick you are probably right that to get the best result most guns would have to be taken away...

We are so far away from this happening. And it is still possible it will happen over the.

Last edited:
They are like religious fundamentalists.
They are, and yes they all vote... but they represent a vocal minority.

The majority of Americans back sensible gun control. It doesn't happen not because if these very vocal sngle issue voters won't let it, it happens because the NRA will de-fund your campaign if you don't go along with them.

Until the money can be replaced, either through campaign finance reform or through some other means, we're just banging our heads against a brick wall.

I'll agree with the million holes portion. :wink:

As Cori points out, 36% own guns or live with a gun owner. I'd venture that at least 80% of that 36% is right leaning or at least moderate.

You make it sound like everyone in America, including the 55% you note as left leaning are gun owners.
Its way off base.

The vast majority of that 55% do not own guns.

Change your avatar. :wink:
And I see the rationale in your response but I think you're missing the point. I never assumed nor said every American owns a gun. But millions of left-leaning Americans do. Even going by those figures Cori shared, that's still millions of customers and a portion of them will be owners of multiple guns.
Very few businesses run so fat they can afford to lose millions of customers.
I'm not saying the idea is a silver bullet. ?
But it's a tangible start.
There seems to be so much throwing up of the hands and exclaiming how nothing can be done. And that's bullshit.

I'm not directing that at you, my avatar-twin (I agree I must change mine!) not anyone else here.
Just seems to be an ongoing narrative.

Not a mass shooting but I knew the officer who was shot at Texas Tech. We worked together in retail for a few years here in Washington. He was a really good guy. One of the few really good supervisors I had at that place.

Fuck everything.

This is where I'm at right now. This kind of shit makes me not want to have kids, not want to live in the US... things I shouldn't have to be seriously considering in a civilized society and the supposed leader of the free world.

It's fucking heart-breaking, and yet I feel completely helpless and hopeless.

What will the excuses be?

Texas has very lax gun laws.

It was in a church. So the argument that’s used for school shootings doesn’t apply. God is allowed in church

Still too soon to discuss gun control since we’re still grieving from Vegas?

Nothing will get done.

This is the American way of life

And yet immediately after the NYC attack last week there was talk about cancelling the Diversity Visa program.

Someone tries to blow up a plane with his shoe, rules were swiftly changed requiring us to all remove our shoes at the security screening.

Hundreds of mass shootings, scores of people dead, lives shattered. And what? Thoughts and prayers. Cool.

I think some dems need to come out and say "yes we want to take your guns away."

I mean, after all, "ally with Russia," "ban Muslims," and "build a wall and have Mexico pay for it" were electable "unamerican" pitches.

Yes, but those were the right kind of unamerican proposals.

Communism, big government, and guns would destroy any candidate

Yes, but those were the right kind of unamerican proposals.

Communism, big government, and guns would destroy any candidate

Not an unapologetic candidate.

Bernie Sanders was successful because he was bold. As was Donald Trump. Coincidentally, Sanders was a compromiser on guns. No more time for being soft. Trump was elected on the conservative hardline. If there's someone brave enough to step up, people will flock and play sports team politics and adopt the negative view on guns. That's leadership.

Would be interesting to see a candidate come out and state it

But not holding breath it’ll happen.

Nothing is going to change.

Not an unapologetic candidate.

Bernie Sanders was successful because he was bold. As was Donald Trump. Coincidentally, Sanders was a compromiser on guns. No more time for being soft. Trump was elected on the conservative hardline. If there's someone brave enough to step up, people will flock and play sports team politics and adopt the negative view on guns. That's leadership.

Leadership. Like or not, Trump is used to being a leader, not a committee member. It seems many voted for that aspect of him despite hating a lot of what he said, did, and stood for.

I think LN7 is right. Bold leadership.

I still think that person is Michele Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom