Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #271
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
The 7 year salary is $113,282.00, under who's tax plan would you clear $100,000 out of that and why in God's name isn't that person running for POTUS?

His name is Gary Johnson, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 07-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:14 AM
so ... a police officer has to be a vegan who doesn't go out, must be married/cohabitating, and isn't allowed to have kids in order to afford to live in San Francisco so they can police their friends and neighbors?

Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #273
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so ... a police officer has to be a vegan who doesn't go out, must be married/cohabitating, and isn't allowed to have kids in order to afford to live in San Francisco so they can police their friends and neighbors?
Being vegan is expensive... but yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #274
War Child

Local Time: 08:14 AM
So what's the bottom line?

You are implying with your discussion that if police officers earn a great salary they will have a great lifestyle and hence they would do their jobs better and not commit hate crimes towards blacks. While this may hold some correlative relevance, it's not entirely causative of this ongoing issue.

Apart from this, consider also the fact that a good portion of police officers are minorities themselves and most of them don't come from a perfect family or financial wise background.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #275
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
So what's the bottom line?

You are implying with your discussion that if police officers earn a great salary they will have a great lifestyle and hence they would do their jobs better and not commit hate crimes towards blacks. While this may hold some correlative relevance, it's not entirely causative of this ongoing issue.
Um, no... the conversation was about cops being residents of their beats.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #276
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

But it's possible!!1!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

on a more serious note, i think we need to think about policing and ask ourselves who gets into law enforcement and why, and how do we attract, recruit, and retain the right people. my worry about all this violence is not so much that we'll have a shortage of policemen, but that the police will be more cautious about doing their jobs while, at the same time, exactly the wrong kinds of people will be attracted to law enforcement. people who think all BLMers are "thugs" and want to crack some skulls, or, worse, see themselves as foot soldiers in a kind of race war.

that's what was so worrisome about people like bobsaget.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #278
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
on a more serious note, i think we need to think about policing and ask ourselves who gets into law enforcement and why, and how do we attract, recruit, and retain the right people. my worry about all this violence is not so much that we'll have a shortage of policemen, but that the police will be more cautious about doing their jobs while, at the same time, exactly the wrong kinds of people will be attracted to law enforcement. people who think all BLMers are "thugs" and want to crack some skulls, or, worse, see themselves as foot soldiers in a kind of race war.

that's what was so worrisome about people like bobsaget.

Who gets into law enforcement and why is a sticky subject. You step on toes when you say it's the high school bully who didn't know what else to do with his life other than find a way to pick on you by giving you a speeding ticket.

Because not every cop is like that. However, the qualifications to become a police officer are not enough as is. Certain people need to be filtered out.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Who gets into law enforcement and why is a sticky subject. You step on toes when you say it's the high school bully who didn't know what else to do with his life other than find a way to pick on you by giving you a speeding ticket.

Because not every cop is like that. However, the qualifications to become a police officer are not enough as is. Certain people need to be filtered out.

in my line of work, i've actually spent time with a lot of cops -- it's a long story.

they seem kind of no different than any other profession. there are some who are very smart, some who are not so smart, some who seem to be in it to make a difference, some who couldn't figure out what else to do. one of the single most charismatic people i've ever met was a cop. i can also remember some super assholes.

i can say, broadly, that your average cop takes a lot of pride in their work, and believes in what they do from a civic perspective. they are people who want to make a difference, or at least be effective, in some sort of capacity. but, really, from what i could see, motivations are as diverse as any other profession.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #280
Refugee

Quote:
in my line of work, i've actually spent time with a lot of cops -- it's a long story.

they seem kind of no different than any other profession. there are some who are very smart, some who are not so smart, some who seem to be in it to make a difference, some who couldn't figure out what else to do. one of the single most charismatic people i've ever met was a cop. i can also remember some super assholes.

i can say, broadly, that your average cop takes a lot of pride in their work, and believes in what they do from a civic perspective. they are people who want to make a difference, or at least be effective, in some sort of capacity. but, really, from what i could see, motivations are as diverse as any other profession.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #281
Blue Crack Distributor

Deductions - NYS
Salary113,282.00 USD
Federal Income Tax- 21,906.21 USD
Social Security- 7,023.48 USD
Medicare- 1,642.59 USD
State Income Tax- 6,541.35 USD
Total Tax- 37,113.64 USD
Net Pay*76,168.36 USD
Monthly Take Home- 6347.36

Let's take down 15% for retirement savings

Take down 116.50 for a monthly MetroCard

30% for rent of that take home would be 1583.63, enough for a modest studio or very small 1 bedroom in most parts of Manhattan below 125th

$3,694.93 left for expenses and spending

Admittedly not bad. Certainly can live a pretty decent life for a single bachelor in the city. Could even up the rent a little and still be comfortable.

Except, of course, that it would take 10 years on the job to get to that point, placing you in your early to mid 30s. As long as you want to stay single, living in a studio, with no kids or attachments for the length of your career you're good to go.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:36 AM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

^That's missing NYC local income tax, no? I remember that being a pesky $100 or so off of each paycheck when I summered there. (Not that it changes your point; it just emphasizes that big cities on the coast are expensive.)

Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #283
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:14 PM
It's a discussion like this that makes me grateful for Canberra's concentration of power in federal hands during World War II, which among other things took powers of income taxation off the states. Now wherever you live in Australia you pay the same tax.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
^That's missing NYC local income tax, no? I remember that being a pesky $100 or so off of each paycheck when I summered there. (Not that it changes your point; it just emphasizes that big cities on the coast are expensive.)

I remember this too from my stint in NYC back in 2008.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #285
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post

It is, actually. I was considering putting it in but figured only a couple of people would notice.