Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #271
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 13,751
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
The 7 year salary is $113,282.00, under who's tax plan would you clear $100,000 out of that and why in God's name isn't that person running for POTUS?

His name is Gary Johnson, I suppose.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 29,693
Local Time: 07:14 AM
so ... a police officer has to be a vegan who doesn't go out, must be married/cohabitating, and isn't allowed to have kids in order to afford to live in San Francisco so they can police their friends and neighbors?
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #273
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,333
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so ... a police officer has to be a vegan who doesn't go out, must be married/cohabitating, and isn't allowed to have kids in order to afford to live in San Francisco so they can police their friends and neighbors?
Being vegan is expensive... but yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #274
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 823
Local Time: 08:14 AM
So what's the bottom line?

You are implying with your discussion that if police officers earn a great salary they will have a great lifestyle and hence they would do their jobs better and not commit hate crimes towards blacks. While this may hold some correlative relevance, it's not entirely causative of this ongoing issue.

Apart from this, consider also the fact that a good portion of police officers are minorities themselves and most of them don't come from a perfect family or financial wise background.
__________________
Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #275
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 38,333
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
So what's the bottom line?

You are implying with your discussion that if police officers earn a great salary they will have a great lifestyle and hence they would do their jobs better and not commit hate crimes towards blacks. While this may hold some correlative relevance, it's not entirely causative of this ongoing issue.
Um, no... the conversation was about cops being residents of their beats.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #276
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,038
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so ... a police officer has to be a vegan who doesn't go out, must be married/cohabitating, and isn't allowed to have kids in order to afford to live in San Francisco so they can police their friends and neighbors?

But it's possible!!1!
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 29,693
Local Time: 07:14 AM
on a more serious note, i think we need to think about policing and ask ourselves who gets into law enforcement and why, and how do we attract, recruit, and retain the right people. my worry about all this violence is not so much that we'll have a shortage of policemen, but that the police will be more cautious about doing their jobs while, at the same time, exactly the wrong kinds of people will be attracted to law enforcement. people who think all BLMers are "thugs" and want to crack some skulls, or, worse, see themselves as foot soldiers in a kind of race war.

that's what was so worrisome about people like bobsaget.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #278
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 11,038
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
on a more serious note, i think we need to think about policing and ask ourselves who gets into law enforcement and why, and how do we attract, recruit, and retain the right people. my worry about all this violence is not so much that we'll have a shortage of policemen, but that the police will be more cautious about doing their jobs while, at the same time, exactly the wrong kinds of people will be attracted to law enforcement. people who think all BLMers are "thugs" and want to crack some skulls, or, worse, see themselves as foot soldiers in a kind of race war.

that's what was so worrisome about people like bobsaget.

Who gets into law enforcement and why is a sticky subject. You step on toes when you say it's the high school bully who didn't know what else to do with his life other than find a way to pick on you by giving you a speeding ticket.

Because not every cop is like that. However, the qualifications to become a police officer are not enough as is. Certain people need to be filtered out.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 29,693
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Who gets into law enforcement and why is a sticky subject. You step on toes when you say it's the high school bully who didn't know what else to do with his life other than find a way to pick on you by giving you a speeding ticket.

Because not every cop is like that. However, the qualifications to become a police officer are not enough as is. Certain people need to be filtered out.


in my line of work, i've actually spent time with a lot of cops -- it's a long story.

they seem kind of no different than any other profession. there are some who are very smart, some who are not so smart, some who seem to be in it to make a difference, some who couldn't figure out what else to do. one of the single most charismatic people i've ever met was a cop. i can also remember some super assholes.

i can say, broadly, that your average cop takes a lot of pride in their work, and believes in what they do from a civic perspective. they are people who want to make a difference, or at least be effective, in some sort of capacity. but, really, from what i could see, motivations are as diverse as any other profession.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #280
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,732
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
in my line of work, i've actually spent time with a lot of cops -- it's a long story.

they seem kind of no different than any other profession. there are some who are very smart, some who are not so smart, some who seem to be in it to make a difference, some who couldn't figure out what else to do. one of the single most charismatic people i've ever met was a cop. i can also remember some super assholes.

i can say, broadly, that your average cop takes a lot of pride in their work, and believes in what they do from a civic perspective. they are people who want to make a difference, or at least be effective, in some sort of capacity. but, really, from what i could see, motivations are as diverse as any other profession.
__________________
Bluer White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #281
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: nyc
Posts: 51,719
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Deductions - NYS
Salary113,282.00 USD
Federal Income Tax- 21,906.21 USD
Social Security- 7,023.48 USD
Medicare- 1,642.59 USD
State Income Tax- 6,541.35 USD
Total Tax- 37,113.64 USD
Net Pay*76,168.36 USD
Monthly Take Home- 6347.36

Let's take down 15% for retirement savings
5,395.26

Take down 116.50 for a monthly MetroCard
5,278.76

30% for rent of that take home would be 1583.63, enough for a modest studio or very small 1 bedroom in most parts of Manhattan below 125th

$3,694.93 left for expenses and spending

Admittedly not bad. Certainly can live a pretty decent life for a single bachelor in the city. Could even up the rent a little and still be comfortable.

Except, of course, that it would take 10 years on the job to get to that point, placing you in your early to mid 30s. As long as you want to stay single, living in a studio, with no kids or attachments for the length of your career you're good to go.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:36 AM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 13,751
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

^That's missing NYC local income tax, no? I remember that being a pesky $100 or so off of each paycheck when I summered there. (Not that it changes your point; it just emphasizes that big cities on the coast are expensive.)


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #283
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 147,295
Local Time: 11:14 PM
It's a discussion like this that makes me grateful for Canberra's concentration of power in federal hands during World War II, which among other things took powers of income taxation off the states. Now wherever you live in Australia you pay the same tax.
__________________
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 15,617
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
^That's missing NYC local income tax, no? I remember that being a pesky $100 or so off of each paycheck when I summered there. (Not that it changes your point; it just emphasizes that big cities on the coast are expensive.)


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I remember this too from my stint in NYC back in 2008.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #285
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: nyc
Posts: 51,719
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
^That's missing NYC local income tax, no? I remember that being a pesky $100 or so off of each paycheck when I summered there. (Not that it changes your point; it just emphasizes that big cities on the coast are expensive.)


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
It is, actually. I was considering putting it in but figured only a couple of people would notice.
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com