Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of mass shootings though aren't really mass shootings. Like Sandy Hook where one guy killed one of his illegitimate children because he was mad at the mother and then Obama sent in some goons to kill more kids so that they could tighten gun control. A real shame. :sad:
If you're going to mock conspiracy theorists it's probably not a good idea to have a lot of shitty views that make it difficult to tell whether or not you're being ironic or not.

So there was this just last night...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/multiple...ve-shooter-austin-texas-police-081552987.html

and meanwhile, this is happening in that same state:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/guns-memory-mass-shooting-collide-texas-campus-100245350.html

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Half a century ago, a sniper perched on a University of Texas tower unleashed a killing spree that left 16 dead, and for the first time since then the school will hold an official memorial for an event that shocked the nation.

But overshadowing the anniversary of the Aug. 1, 1966 tower shooting is the start of a new law backed by Republican lawmakers to allow more guns in more places at public universities.

The lawmakers say the "campus carry" law, which goes into effect August 1, could prevent another mass shootings, while many survivors of the university tower shooting half a century ago see it as a chillingly wrong-headed approach that could spark more killing.

The campus carry law allows those over 21 with a concealed handgun permit to take guns into classrooms and several parts of the campus.

Okay, so two things after reading that article:

1. The gun lobby/NRA can go fuck itself. Seriously. It is INSANE that they're able to use asshole scare tactics about "TAKING AWAY YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS!" to try and stop any actual progress on these sorts of issues. Especially when you read horrifying statistics like this:

It was the same conversation we're still having—except now mass shootings are the thing. We average at least one a month. Since 1968, more Americans have died from gunfire than have died in all our wars put together. In 2014: 33,599.

How have we let that lobby get to the point where they have such a stronghold over an issue as serious as this?

2, On a significantly happier note, God bless Charlie and that dedicated staff who work alongside him. That is mind-blowingly impressive work they're doing, and I love how utterly committed they are to their job, and how much they care on a personal level (their thoughts regarding Sandy Hook were particularly poignant). They're my new heroes.

I also hope they take care of themselves, because ye gods, the story about Charlie's heart attack.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about it, and I got a bunch of messages asking if I was okay. I was seriously confused for a while. Had to tell people Burlington is a good hour north of Seattle.

Scary to hear of the injuries, and hopefully those aren't life-threatening. Sounds like everyone else in that school is all right, so thank goodness for that, at least. Still, though...:sigh:.

Heard the teenager killed his father before going to the elementary school, too.

And while we're on the subject, there were also a couple shooting sprees earlier this week in Baltimore and somewhere in...Texas, I want to say? So between those shootings, the one at the mall in Washington, and today's school shooting, that's four mass shooting sprees we're up to now in the span of about five, six days.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, still no school shootings in Australia.

But gun control doesn't work, oh no, that could never be the explanation.

14573037_1163155777089739_6984425616744174363_n.jpg

all completely real based on news articles from around the country

Open/ Concealed carry: brilliant idea :up:

But Republicans, go ahead and keep your lips planted on the NRA's ass.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

To add to that, I read a story recently from somewhere in the southern part of my state about a guy who'd accidentally shot and killed his college-age sister. They were in the car heading to a family reunion, and apparently the brother decided that that was the best time to pull his gun out and show his sister how to work some sort of feature on the gun or something to that effect.

There's also been a couple stories lately about fathers accidentally shooting and killing their (very young) children that they'd brought along with them to the gun range.

But yeah. More people being armed is totally the way to go.

I love that there are not one but two examples there of shootings related to debates about Bible verses.

Really living up to those religious precepts.

This is appalling. They do this every month on their FB page, I'd call it a public service but there is no reasoning with people who choose guns over lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom