Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 06-29-2016, 12:45 AM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Never had an active shooter drill in high school, but I graduated shortly before Columbine.

We've had one active shooter drill at work, but given how high up in the sky we are, barricading ourselves in the kitchen seems like a bad option. The best thing is to get out. Glad we have actual security to get in and out of the building.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:42 AM   #137
Refugee

Local Time: 12:22 PM
We did lockdown drills in high school and in college when I was a resident assistant (I lived in the dorms for free and helped out first year students), we did active shooter training. I made a comment both years I was an RA about how fucked up it was that we live in a country where we have to do active shooter training, as it's such a common occurrence that we need to be prepared for it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
We did lockdown drills in high school and in college when I was a resident assistant (I lived in the dorms for free and helped out first year students), we did active shooter training. I made a comment both years I was an RA about how fucked up it was that we live in a country where we have to do active shooter training, as it's such a common occurrence that we need to be prepared for it.

I did lockdown drills in high school (you're about same age as me, so should have something in common) but I never did that in high school. still, its still sad that we have to do that, though.

Also there was this weird gun-related incident at UMich campus (specifically, chemistry building which somehow houses ROTC program currently) 2 years ago, I think. It was terrible, really.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Considering there was a shooting at the prom in fucking tiny Antigo of all places, yes, I agree with you.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that there was an active shooter at work. That was really disturbing.

And then I started thinking about it (not the first time I'd thought of it). I work for a very well-known company who puts itself out there publicly on certain issues, and it's not hard to imagine some whackjob would target us - more likely a store than our corporate office, but again, you never know.

And this week, new in the building, are updated emergency procedures, including, of course, what to do in case of a shooter.

I don't want to live on this planet in this country anymore.

Yeah, that was crazy about Antigo. If an officer hadn't been patrolling the parking lot, and took the shooter out, it could have been much worse.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
What flavor did you get?
Mint Oreo as always!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #141
Blue Crack Distributor

We have active shooter and evacuation drills twice a year. Then again we have NYPD anti-terror units stationed fill time at the front front door, so there's that.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm sure this is no fun and inconvenient, but I shudder to think of the far worse inconvenience a responsible gun owner might be subjected to if stronger gun safety legislation were to pass and he'd be unable to buy semi-automatics, have to undergo a background check, get licensed, registered, insured.

Please. Think of the responsible gun owners. They should always be in our thoughts.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #143
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I did lockdown drills in high school (you're about same age as me, so should have something in common) but I never did that in high school. still, its still sad that we have to do that, though.

Also there was this weird gun-related incident at UMich campus (specifically, chemistry building which somehow houses ROTC program currently) 2 years ago, I think. It was terrible, really.

University of Oregon hasn't had any incidents thankfully. We did have a guy in a mask wandering around off-campus with a fake gun this year. Then the guy was able to get into a residence hall during a power outage and was knocking on random doors, which freaked out my residents. UCC is about an hour south though and that was just awful. That was a really bad, emotional day for the whole state.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #144
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I'm sure this is no fun and inconvenient, but I shudder to think of the far worse inconvenience a responsible gun owner might be subjected to if stronger gun safety legislation were to pass and he'd be unable to buy semi-automatics, have to undergo a background check, get licensed, registered, insured.

Please. Think of the responsible gun owners. They should always be in our thoughts.

Oh god, that is the worst injustice in the world. My heart weeps for those poor souls who might not be able to buy military style weapons. I'll be keeping them in my thoughts

Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
We did have a guy in a mask wandering around off-campus with a fake gun this year. Then the guy was able to get into a residence hall during a power outage and was knocking on random doors, which freaked out my residents.
Yeah, that'd freak me out, too. Creeeeeeeepy. If someone somewhere can keep an eye on that guy, they should definitely do so.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #146
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Yeah, that'd freak me out, too. Creeeeeeeepy. If someone somewhere can keep an eye on that guy, they should definitely do so.

The police and professional staff knew about them, but couldn't do anything about it because they weren't breaking any laws. It was an odd couple of days when it was going on.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yeah, I've heard of a few situations like that-unsettling behavior that's not breaking laws, but it feels like it should be. Unfortunately, that also means that with many of those kinds of situations, the unsettling behavior escalates and then some sort of tragedy that DOES involve criminal activity inevitably strikes. It's a weird fine line.

Still, I'm glad people are aware of the guy, just in case.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Active shooter in Dallas tonight at the scene of a BLM protest. 2-3 cops reported shot.

Things are escalating quickly over the past several days. Don't know what more to say.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Reports from eyewitnesses are that the shots came from several stories up, down towards the street, possibly from a parking garage.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Not in front of a TV right now. Read 5 cops gravely injured.