Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My oldest daughter is at college about an hour north from there.

I know a few kids who go to Bates, right in the heart of Lewiston.

I’m fucking sick of this shit.

I have a friend in a very similar position. She wrote me tonight saying how worried she was about her child, even though they went to school an hour or two away. Still… very sad.

At least 16 people were killed in a bowling alley and a restaurant. People are being told to shelter in place and stay home and schools are cancelled because he's still on the loose. They better get him soon.

And this is why people who have a history of these types of mental health issues and making threats to shoot up places should not be allowed to have guns HELLO

A police bulletin described Card as a firearms instructor believed to be in the Army Reserve and assigned to a training facility in Saco, Maine.

Sources also told ABC News said Card has a mental health history, including a two week stay this past summer at a mental health facility after he reported hearing voices and made threats to shoot up a National Guard facility in Saco, Maine.

And this is why people who have a history of these types of mental health issues and making threats to shoot up places should not be allowed to have guns HELLO

A police bulletin described Card as a firearms instructor believed to be in the Army Reserve and assigned to a training facility in Saco, Maine.

Sources also told ABC News said Card has a mental health history, including a two week stay this past summer at a mental health facility after he reported hearing voices and made threats to shoot up a National Guard facility in Saco, Maine.

No red flags there. Jesus.

https://www.mainegunsafety.org/legislative-priorities-red-flag-and-extreme-risk-protection-orders

In 2021 after a concerted push from gun violence prevention advocates, including the Maine Gun Safety Coalition, the state of Maine enacted a compromise law known as the “Yellow Paper Law.” This law is similar to red flag legislation but more difficult to implement and less effective.

Maine’s Yellow Paper law works as follows: When relatives are concerned that a family member is suffering a mental health crisis and may be a threat to the safety and well-being of themselves or others, they may call law enforcement to seek an order temporarily restricting that person’s access to firearms. The law requires that the individual be taken into temporary police custody until such time as a medical evaluation can be completed. If a medical professional determines that the person is a threat to themselves or others, they may certify that the person should not have access to firearms. A court may then order that police are allowed to remove firearms from the person’s residence, and that the person is not to possess or maintain firearms for a temporary period of time. As of 2023 the law is having an impact but is an involved process.

This process is unduly harsh and makes it unlikely to be used by families who do not want to further traumatize their loved ones by having them taken into custody. Further, medical evaluations are very hard to come by in Maine, especially on an expedited basis, causing an unnecessary delay that may be fatal. These steps are unnecessary to provide the protection needed. A court order from a judge, after reviewing the evidence, can be issued in far less time, offering protection with the same due process safeguards and without the trauma and stigma of temporary police custody of the person, rather than the guns. Finally, Maine’s Yellow Paper law, unlike a traditional Red Flag/ERPO law, does not allow the family to directly petition the court and the law conflates mental illness and mental health crisis which in turn, may disincentivize family members and law enforcement from seeking an order.

Crazy that they still haven’t caught this guy.

He’s probably dead in a ditch somewhere. Let’s be real, few rampage lunatics do it with the intent of living.

Or they’ll find him and then he’ll do it and then the police will be hailed as heroes when they find his body or some shit when they burst through the doors. Because the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!

Maine may be a blue state and therefore filled with weakling soyboys, but it also has fairly high gun ownership so, again, where are the good guys with guns stopping this sort of thing?

Arm the bowling alleys!

(I am so sick of this shit; I don’t trust anyone with an AR-15 because everyone’s a responsible gun owner right up until the moment they aren’t)

I see your new house speaker is doing a sterling job in response to this (doing absolutely nothing and nothing will ever change in this country and I'm so sorry to all you good people)

Updated 7:55 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Police have returned to the suspect's last known address, but officials say they don't know if he's there

From CNN's Brian Todd and Evan Perez

Law enforcement officials returned to the Lewiston shooting suspect's last known address on Thursday evening, according to CNN teams on the scene.

A spokesperson with the Maine Department of Public Safety, Shannon Moss, told CNN law enforcement is "not positive Robert Card is in this house," adding officials are "simply doing our due diligence."

Investigators detected something inside or near Card’s home, which has prompted the activity we are seeing, a law enforcement official said. They don’t know what or who it is.

At least five law enforcement vehicles, including an armored vehicle, are on scene, CNN reports.

It shouldn’t be that they’ve “surrounded” his home and an hour later that’s still the condition. You don’t know who’s in there being tortured or killed. Go the fuck in there and accept that you might die, good guys with guns.

Talk about the thing nobody wanted to talk about back in 2015: many more people died inside Pulse because police officers armed with guns and armor didn’t want to die.

If you believe in good guys with guns so much, fucking prove it.

https://people.com/maine-shootings-survivor-says-sister-died-trying-get-help-8383369

“We were just running, and I kept saying: 'I want my sister out of there,'” she says. “And she called 911 and put herself in his way by trying to get help. She’s a hero. My sister is a hero.”

Nichols says she ran out of the bowling alley along with others, saying it was like a "stampede."

“We just wanted to run as far as we could,” she says.

But once she got outside, she realized her sister wasn’t there with her. She says Asselin got shot as she pulled out her phone to call 911.

:huh:

Coming across like you have a general beef with LEOs.

In circumstances like this, I do. Not for the reasons you might be thinking. The police should be the most anti-gun entity out there in this country. This shit only happens because people have guns. It’s 100% logical to not want to run into a hail-fire of bullets and die because some lunatic decided that if he’s going you’re coming with.

And I know what you might be thinking now. Don’t assume all police are pro-gun. But here’s the thing: they overwhelmingly are. You have responsible people in charge making good union positions, that is true. But go to any poll of individual police officers. Overwhelmingly pro 2A.

This is personal to me. I roll my eyes when I hear shit like that, surrounding a house. Give me a fucking break.

These mental health bills (do they even exist lol) don’t appear to be working. But guess what? We can’t institutionalize people. Some president in the 80s wanted to save a few bucks. Boo big cities, look how dysfunctional you are, boooooo you don’t know how to run yourself, booooo. Fuckin joke. Practically none of those people care about mental health solutions and you fucking know that. It’s a political platform to stand on when the next mass shooting happens and they have no clear platform to stand on.

You know, democrats certainly don’t do anything about it, but republicans actively created this with decades of disestablishment and deinstitutionalization. Governing by doing nothing is not effective. Liberalism should extend as far as the self. You don’t wanna call someone by their preferred gender pronoun? Fine. You do you. Don’t make me have to learn basic firearms training because you want that shit. (I’m not implying you as in “you BW”). This isn’t a gray area. It’s pretty clear. Second amendment is evolvingly anti-liberty.

They were carrying out a search warrant at the house

ABC News

The source said this search and the dramatic accompaniments were part of standard procedure for safely carrying out a search warrant.

Information provided to law enforcement shows that Robert Card appears to have "interacted with conspiratorial content" online.

Topics he engaged with included, but were not limited to, concerns about a financial crisis/stock market, LGBTQ+ issues, gun rights and commentary about Democratic public officials, including President Joe Biden.

It remains unknown whether any of his social media usage played any role in the suspect's decision to go on his rampage Wednesday night.

A law enforcement source with direct knowledge tells ABC News that Robert Card had affiliations with the two locations he allegedly targeted.

An ex-girlfriend is connected to one of the locations. According to the source, "We don’t think this was completely random."

He’s probably dead in a ditch somewhere. Let’s be real, few rampage lunatics do it with the intent of living.

!

In this guy's case I'm not sure.
His vehicle was found at a boat launch on the Androscoggin River.
Seems possible he had this planned out and may have had a boat there and could have headed up river towards northern Maine or down river towards the coast. Lots of forest areas, real hard to track if that's what happened.

He reportedly left a suicide note, who knows if that's true. If it is true could have been just to throw off the police. He reportedly also has what they called "contacts" in MA.

Left his cell phone behind, probably has a burner phone.

Yeah, this guy with his military training and knowledge of the area seems like he could be an outlier and have an escape plan that might make him more difficult to track than the average mass shooter psychopath.
Hope I'm wrong and they find him like today.

Yeah, this guy with his military training and knowledge of the area seems like he could be an outlier and have an escape plan that might make him more difficult to track than the average mass shooter psychopath.
Hope I'm wrong and they find him like today.

Reminds me of the 1992 Olympic bomber, who hid out in a forest for years.

We can’t institutionalize people. Some president in the 80s wanted to save a few bucks. Boo big cities, look how dysfunctional you are, boooooo you don’t know how to run yourself, booooo. Fuckin joke. Practically none of those people care about mental health solutions and you fucking know that. It’s a political platform to stand on when the next mass shooting happens and they have no clear platform to stand on.

You know, democrats certainly don’t do anything about it, but republicans actively created this with decades of disestablishment and deinstitutionalization.

Ehhh, state-sponsored psych hospitals started trending down not long after the WWII era. The general public began finding out how bad the living conditions were in a lot of them. And you had new antipsychotic medicines etc marketed hard and begin to get the full blessing of the federal regulators. Just pop some of these great new crazy pills. It's cheaper, and it's on an outpatient basis. We think they work. Everyone's happy, Problem solved!

JFK came along and supported the deinstitutionalize effort in mental care.

LJB came along after, along with Congress they did Medicaid, but one of things not covered by the feds was inpatient psychiatric hospital care in the states. So the states kept moving away from the expensive intensive inpatient stuff. And yeah, money always ALWAYS figures in to why decisions are made. When does it not?

Hindsight's 20/20. I'm not pointing the finger at the players above, or Ronald Reagan. It's a tough social problem that's never going to go away.

Not to mention, maybe the majority of folks out there with issues, who needed serious inpatient or outpatient help, and got neither. Ever. Back in the day, or now in 2023. Because life happens.

Like Mrs. S posted, the perp in Maine was on the radar of mental health authorities. Like a blinking red or yellow strobe light.

Not to mention, maybe the majority of folks out there with issues, who needed serious inpatient or outpatient help, and got neither. Ever. Back in the day, or now in 2023. Because life happens.

Like Mrs. S posted, the perp in Maine was on the radar of mental health authorities. Like a blinking red or yellow strobe light.

Thankfully, our courts have only recently discovered his inalienable right to powerful weaponry in the US Constitution.

It’s unfortunate but such is the prices of freedom. Children must be blown to bits so that men like him may truly live.

What I don't get is that if this is a mental health issue, why isn't congress rushing to pass legislation that directly impacts the root of the issue?

Back
Top Bottom