Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's your solution?

I don't have a solution. Unlike other countries, there's one hundred million more guns than people in the U.S. Mass confiscation of guns is a non-starter. Maybe a few specific gun models could be confiscated on a state-by-state basis if there was a Huge push in the state. Maybe.

DaveC's post about Canada was helpful. I'm for any new laws (on top of our many, many current laws) if they're reasonable (in my mind), can pass a legislative body, and can hold up in court.....because not everyone agrees on what's reasonable and what isn't. That's for sure.

Do I think new gun laws will curb school shootings? No. Not on its own, at least.

I don't have a solution. Unlike other countries, there's one hundred million more guns than people in the U.S. Mass confiscation of guns is a non-starter. Maybe a few specific gun models could be confiscated on a state-by-state basis if there was a Huge push in the state. Maybe.

DaveC's post about Canada was helpful. I'm for any new laws (on top of our many, many current laws) if they're reasonable (in my mind), can pass a legislative body, and can hold up in court.....because not everyone agrees on what's reasonable and what isn't. That's for sure.

Do I think new gun laws will curb school shootings? No. Not on its own, at least.

But if the GOP gets to push all kinds of crazy/extreme bans and restrictions on the things they want control over, if they can get courts on their side to try and enact those restrictions and bans (and hell, sometimes they don't even care what the courts think - they still try and pass this stuff knowing some federal judges might strike it down, even if only temporarily), why can't or shouldn't the Democrats do the same with guns? I know full well a lot of people wouldn't agree with it, but at this point, why should we give a damn about that? The vast majority of Americans don't support the bans and restrictions that the GOP wants to push regarding abortion, but that ain't stopping them from trying to make those bans and restrictions a reality. They don't care what Americans want when it comes to that issue, so why do the Democrats have to play by a different set of rules on this? Why does any attempt to resolve this issue have to be a non-starter at all?

We now have people dead from yet another shooting, this time in Tulsa. This on top of Uvalde, and Buffalo, and Chattanooga, and too many other towns to name within the last two weeks. I'm done trying to parse out what's "reasonable" and what isn't when it comes to this issue. I really, really do not care to try and continue being polite or accommodating to people who care more about keeping their guns than others' lives and who refuse to support even the smallest of compromises or changes on this issue.

At least three people killed at Tulsa medical building, police say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/01/tulsa-shooter-medical-center/

if only we'd arm the doctactually fuck it I can't even mock the absurdity of it anymore.

4 dead. 5 if you include the gunman.

AR-15 style rifle - purchased at 2 pm THE DAY OF THE SHOOTING. Shooting took place 3 hours later.

Gunman was a patient of one of the doctors that was killed. He had made an earlier threat against the doctor because he wanted more pain medication after a recent back surgery.

so yay our opioid crisis and gun crisis get to comingle.

Wow, what a crass thing to say.

Apparently we need to adopt the Aussie way...

Untitled-2.jpg

I do think, when it comes to mass shootings, Australia has a lot to teach us. It’s a thusdingly obvious example that fewer guns means fewer people are killed by guns.

Knife crime, however, is a different story.

I do think the US has a lot to learn from Australia regarding guns. I do not think it’s of interest or worth to discuss their whatabout problems.

I also think you have to be some type of royal douchebag to stumble in on a serious conversation of frustrated and upset people over the deaths of some 20 children over a repeated gun problem that haunts us and go about waving your country’s flag stating “I am better I than you.” Fucking disgusting.

We are exceptional tho, just ask us

But i do agree it’s poor taste.

Biden could take some executive actions, i hope he does cause Mitch is playing him and we’ll see the same results.

Delay delay delay, vote finally comes up. Filibuster

https://twitter.com/BlackKnight10k/status/1532456809944039433?cxt=HHwWkoC-

On a related note, funny, isn't it, how the "all lives matter!" crowd is always silent on issues like this.

While there’s a very realness to the statement (people discriminatorily view black people as dangerous, facts prove that), it’s still fair to point out that being black isn’t an occupation. It would be (imo) inappropriate to suggest that any specific race should be armed. Well, nobody should be need to be armed, but that’s a different discussion.

Everything Biden can do by executive order he needs to do it.

I just can't understand how anyone can't see the glaring difference between this and other countries. It's not as if other countries don't have people with mental health issues. And not all people with mental health issues commit shootings and mass shootings- most inflict harm and death upon themselves. I resent that stereotyping of people with mental health issues.

The leaked GOP memos state the obvious-they want to ignore the gun issue and focus on inflation. Because they care more about winning elections than human life. Even the lives of children. But of course they are pro life. The hypocrisy is sickening.

Let's just throw up our hands and let everyone have an AR-15. Frustrated with your life, your job, your relationship or lack thereof, your back pain, those darn minorities replacing you...well just blow the bodies apart. Their loved ones will just quit grieving anyway, the sooner the better. Gotta be expedient with that damn grief, it's really inconvenient.

Not sure why Biden has been hesitating with EO. Maybe waiting till it’s closer to mid terms ?

We all know whatever EO he signs will be struck down by a lower court and then appealed up to Supreme Court. That takes time so it could be best to do it and have it be fresh for voters

Or the WH is dysfunctional with so many crisis going on.

Covid is literally the everywhere again
Inflation and gas gouging
Ukraine
Constant gun violence
Abortion rights

I can’t imagine how bad things would be if Trump or any other GQP were in charge.

Apologies for posting so many of these. I think they are informative, and so damn frightening and unreal. The price we have to pay for a free society? Bizarre definition of freedom, when you can't feel safe in an elementary school or a grocery store or any other everyday place.

Any age can own an AR 15? Would age ten be acceptable? Five? We are doomed.

debate-on-guns.jpg

favor-these-measures-party.jpg

favor-these-measures-all.jpg

mass-shooting-prevent-all.jpg

Why would anyone be opposed to red flag laws? It makes zero sense, because if you claim mental illness is causing these shootings and not guns, well seems to me you wouldn't want mentally ill people having guns. Mental illness can't shoot bullets by itself, it's not a lethal weapon to be mentally ill.

And if life is so sacred you want people who are suicidal to have guns so they can take their lives?

Of course logic doesn't exist for those people.

If it means anything, 84% of Democrats, 64% of independents, and 30% of republicans supporting something is closer to “super majority” than not.

Not sure why Biden has been hesitating with EO. Maybe waiting till it’s closer to mid terms ?

We all know whatever EO he signs will be struck down by a lower court and then appealed up to Supreme Court. That takes time so it could be best to do it and have it be fresh for voters

Or the WH is dysfunctional with so many crisis going on.

Covid is literally the everywhere again
Inflation and gas gouging
Ukraine
Constant gun violence
Abortion rights

I can’t imagine how bad things would be if Trump or any other GQP were in charge.

i'd rather they take the time to make sure that whatever executive order they issue actually has a chance of sticking instead of just willy nilly tossing something out there that will inevitably be struck down by the courts within a matter of days if not hours.

let's also be real - whatever EO the biden administration puts out there will eventually be struck down by Trump's Supreme Court.

Back
Top Bottom