Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-teacher-custody-reports-gunfire-school-174848680.html

(Reuters) - An armed high school teacher in Georgia barricaded himself alone inside his classroom, then fired a gunshot when the principal tried to force open the door, but no one was seriously injured, police said after the instructor was arrested.

The shooting, which unfolded as schools around the country remained on edge from gun violence earlier this month that claimed 17 lives in the neighboring state of Florida, unfolded around lunchtime at Dalton High School, about 90 miles (145 km) north of Atlanta, the Georgia capital.

Responding to reports of gunfire at the school, officers from the Dalton Police Department found the teacher in question holed up inside a classroom. He was taken into custody without incident about 30 to 45 minutes later, police spokesman Bruce Frazier told reporters later.

The suspect was later identified as Jesse Randall Davidson, 53, a social studies teacher at the school who police said also serves as the play-by-play announcer for the Dalton High School football team.

The incident began when a group of students tried to enter the classroom, "and the teacher was not letting anybody inside," Frazier said.

When the principal arrived and tried opening the door with a key, a single gunshot was heard from inside the room, prompting a security lockdown of the school as police were notified and the school's resource officer was summoned, Frazier said.

So, hey, what was that again about how arming teachers would be a good idea?

“They’re gunno take my guns away”, we heard the same battle call for 8 years, Obama’s gone and everyone still has their guns. A sitting president for the first time ever said, we should have taken away guns, due process afterwards, and there’s silence.

But remember, wife beaters most definitely deserve due process.

There was another school shooting today. In Maryland. The school resource officer took quick and proper action and stopped the shooter. He shot a 17 year old girl he had dated and a 14 year old boy. The girl is in critical condition. The boy is in stable condition.

Is anyone going to a March For Our Lives Saturday? I'm going to my local suburban march, just feel strongly that I have to.

Gun nuts will say “See!! A good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy!!”

Except this whole idea of having armed guards (or eventually teachers) will deter school shootings is still bullshit.

A kid still got access to a gun. Knew there was a armed guard on the grounds, and still went into the school with a gun and was able to shoot other kids.

This isn’t a problem solved. It’s still a damn problem. This school was lucky that he didn’t hurt or kill more kids.

Except this whole idea of having armed guards (or eventually teachers) will deter school shootings is still bullshit.

A kid still got access to a gun. Knew there was a armed guard on the grounds, and still went into the school with a gun and was able to shoot other kids.

This isn’t a problem solved. It’s still a damn problem. This school was lucky that he didn’t hurt or kill more kids.

It also sounds like this was a beef settled with gunfire — had the shooter had a more powerful weapon or intended to mass murder children, we’d have another Parkland on our hands.

Gun safety advocates are perfectly fine with armed, trained *security officers* (not geometry teachers). I’m thankful this person did their job, although I wish he had never had reason to do this job in the first place.

Yes they will.

Just as gun control advocates, after the SRO at Parkland did nothing, said "See! A good guy with a gun didn't stop the bad guy!"

It's why these anecdotes aren't incredibly instructive in moving the gun debate forward.

Funny thing.

Obama was supposed to be taking away everybody's guns for eight years, and he appointed two justices, neither of whom was particularly well-known for gun-related opinions (in fact, I'm not sure either had ever written any). Merrick Garland, who Republicans stupidly refused to confirm, isn't some anti-gun extremist either.

This is just the usual gun nut paranoia.

We just want responsible gun control laws that individual states can't subvert so people can get around the law by driving somewhere else.

That's all.

And the Second Amendment does allow that. It was never meant to be "Everybody can have any weapon he wants for any reason without any regulation."

Just like the First Amendment doesn't mean you can yell fire in a crowded theater, the Second Amendment doesn't mean you can own your own personal armory of military grade weapons. The Founders never intended that.

Sign at the march I attended today. The high school kids who spoke there were so impressive. We've failed them, but they're moving forward anyway. I hope they don't give up. I'm not going to.

20180324_150013-1.jpg

:lol:

Went to watch NYC march w my sis (she,'s got problems w her knees). I brought the sign. Very moving. They could over time really make a difference! (we did against the Vietnam War)
The signs- disturbing but well done, others very funny and pointed.

I think I respect ISIS more the NRA

To attack victims of school shootings has really pushed it over the edge for me. These kids are awesome and a lot stronger than what i think could have been under same circumstances

I have very little to fear from ISIS. Are they horrible, yup.

But thanks to the NRA, I have to plan exit routes literally everywhere i go in the states because someone with a gun decides to shoot everyone.

No one stops to debate if ISIS attacks are bad. We want action.

When children get shot by other kids, the NRA stops all action. And now makes videos calling out victims.

“Had there been no school shooter, we wouldn’t know these Parkland kids names”

I have very little to fear from ISIS. Are they horrible, yup.

But thanks to the NRA, I have to plan exit routes literally everywhere i go in the states because someone with a gun decides to shoot everyone.

No one stops to debate if ISIS attacks are bad. We want action.

When children get shot by other kids, the NRA stops all action. And now makes videos calling out victims.

“Had there been no school shooter, we wouldn’t know these Parkland kids names”

I'm not here to defend the NRA, but ISIS would prefer those children dead. The NRA would not.

Back
Top Bottom