Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I worked in a school last year and when we did a lockdown drill, the kids (4th graders so 10 years old) asked why I was next to the door. I didn't want to tell them that it was because if something happened it was my duty to protect them. The fact that we expect this from our educators while at the same time doing nothing to fix the problem is a sign that we are deeply sick country.

Yea... I was asked yesterday why I was holding a metal track starting block in my hand (we were locked down in a locker room). I couldn't tell them it was in case I had to try and bash a gunman with a heavy object, so I made up some story about how I like to hold things.

But we don't have a gun problem.

Yea... I was asked yesterday why I was holding a metal track starting block in my hand (we were locked down in a locker room). I couldn't tell them it was in case I had to try and bash a gunman with a heavy object, so I made up some story about how I like to hold things.

But we don't have a gun problem.

I hear stories from teachers like this all the time. They are willing to give their lives for the kids (I believe both of the teachers of the kids who died in Sandy Hook were found to have been shielding their kids when they were shot).

And this is something that is constantly discussed in schools. It's strange that this is normal. I'm 23 and I have grown up in a country where mass shootings are common. And we continue to do nothing.

I once had an argument over gun control with my gun-fanatic brother-in-law. It really seems like owning guns, especially the assault rifle types, is linked to masculinity issues. That's the impression I got. Then again, he's a d*ck.

I'm not all for the banning of all guns. Just assault rifles. Why do you need massive amounts of ammunition to even protect your family? Just a shotgun is enough. Seriously, if you need military weapons, you must have lousy aim or something.

glad to hear you're okay martina. everyone i know is safe as well. hoping elfa checks in some time today too.

i'm getting awfully sick of angry white men killing people in my city.

glad to hear you're okay martina. everyone i know is safe as well. hoping elfa checks in some time today too.

You should probably build a wall on the southern border. That's where the guns come from. I hear it's a popular idea these days

I live in the west end. You downtown?

Well this comment hasn't aged well.

Also, I'm shocked that none of the gun control advocates on this forum are discussing the gentleman from New Mexico who was arrested for abusing children AND training then for school shootings.

Must not have "fit the narrative".

Also, I'm shocked that none of the gun control advocates on this forum are discussing the gentleman from New Mexico who was arrested for abusing children AND training then for school shootings.

What narrative are you speaking of? The narrative that it's way too easy for people to get guns in this country? Yea, I think it fits that narrative quite well, actually.

What narrative are you speaking of? The narrative that it's way too easy for people to get guns in this country? Yea, I think it fits that narrative quite well, actually.

The narrative on this forum and for much of the left that “angry white guys” and “the NRA” are the problem. The loud silence of posting after we found out the guy in Toronto wasn’t white, and neither was the guy in New Mexico speaks volumes.

I know you know this, but I’m playing along. It’s all a political position for the left, no real moral outrage involved

The narrative on this forum and for much of the left that “angry white guys” and “the NRA” are the problem. The loud silence of posting after we found out the guy in Toronto wasn’t white, and neither was the guy in New Mexico speaks volumes.

I know you know this, but I’m playing along. It’s all a political position for the left, no real moral outrage involved
The NRA is the problem. How does this change that whatsoever?

The majority of mass shootings are taken up by white males. That's merely a fact. It doesn't change that it's way too easy for people to get weapons of mass death in this country, and the number one organization that allows this to continue is the NRA.

What does the Toronto incident and this guy in New Mexico have to do with that?

Why won't Republicans support banning people on the no fly list from getting a gun?

The narrative that it’s the wide, easy availability of guns that results in wide, easy mass death remains.

sorry that i was more concerned about the people around me that were deeply affected by the shooting of over a dozen people only a couple km away from where i live, rather than rushing to come back here to make another post about the guy's skin colour.

also, it's clearly an issue of psychosis regardless of his skin colour, but here you are trying to conflate this with actual terrorism so that it will "fit the narrative", you fucking hypocrite.

Last edited:
yeah but what about Chicago guys?

Why aren't you talking about that narrative? Them thugs!!!

All of us in here support gun control. The NRA and GOP (and Bernie) do not support this. It's too easy for people to get guns, fact.

Whether it's gang violence, angry white guys, or your neighbor who just likes to hunt there are too many guns in this country. More guns means more gun deaths.

I'm always a bit baffled by people who claim 4o care so much a out "law and order" are also against better gun laws - which, ya know, would help solve a lot of law and order issues and will make it easier for police officers to do their jobs.

A common argument any time there's a police shooting is that we don't know what it's like, and that the officer has to make a decision in under a second or risk going home in a box, and that tension is only heightened when in a high crime area. And I hear that, and I fully understand that line of thought and think there's some truth there.

But then when I respond with "ok, so let's get rid of those guns" it's always "omgz no! Personal responsibility! People need to be able to protect themselves from the guns that they need to protect themselves from the guns that they need to protect themselves from the guns..."

Swing and a miss

Why is it so difficult for you to actually engage rather than just regurgitate Tucker Carlson's talking points?

tell us again how angry white guys aren't a problem: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ely-biker-that-loved-shooter-video-games.html

so i guess now it's cool for me to accuse you of dishonestly pushing false narratives purely for political purposes, because i too found a single incident you aren't repeatedly posting about in the exact way i arbitrarily decide you should be posting about it! :up:

Last edited:
Gun control can and does help prevent mass murder. Australia proves that.

I know I know . . someone will say "yeah but Americans are a gun-owning society!" Not exactly--most Americans don't own even a single gun. But a minority keep buying more and more guns. More than anyone could possibly need--like even in a zombie apocalypse (anyway, zombies are drawn to the sound of gunfire, so shouldn't we be stockpiling crossbows?).

So allow possession of guns, but heavily regulate it--people should have to meet certain criteria for gun ownership, and should not be able to dispose of their guns arbitrarily. The enormous number of guns here is the problem--inevitably, some will end up in the wrong hands.

Don't impute to all Americans the mania of a few.

In fact, the obsession with having lots of guns (and increasingly military-style guns) is, in itself a form of mental illness that needs to be addressed.

still anxiously waiting for you to come back and discuss with us how "angry white guys" are not the problem! :hyper:

https://qz.com/1182778/the-far-right-was-responsible-for-the-majority-of-extremist-killings-in-2017/

The far-right was responsible for the majority of America’s extremist killings in 2017
By Aamna Mohdin
January 18, 2018
There was a dramatic surge in white supremacist violence in 2017.

White supremacists and other far-right extremists were responsible for 59% of all extremist-related fatalities in the US in 2017, according to the Anti-Defamation League’s (ADL) Center on Extremism. The ADL’s annual report—“Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2017”— found that the number of murders conducted by white supremacists US more than doubled last year, compared to 2016.

A spokesperson for the ADL explains that the report “looks at known murders or killings by perpetrators associated with domestic extremist movements. We are not accounting for all acts of violence, such as mass shootings.” However, if a mass shooting, such Charleston or San Bernardino, was found to be linked to an extremist movement and resulted in death, then the ADL would include it.

In total, extremists killed at least 34 people in 2017. The far-right accounted for 59% of these deaths, or 20 deaths. The report linked several killings to the alt-right movement, which expanded and moved its operations from the internet into the physical world last year. The chaos in Charlottesville, where a counter-protester, Heather Heyer, was killed and dozens were injured after a car driven by a white supremacist plowed into a group of pedestrians, marked the return of neo-Nazi street confrontations. The shift in tactic raises “the likely possibility of more such violent acts in the future,” the report notes.

Over the last decade, 71% of domestic extremist related killings in the US were linked to right-wing extremists, while Islamic extremists committed 26% of the killings, the report notes. An Islamic extremist committed the single deadliest incident in 2017: the New York City vehicle ramming attack killed eight people. Left-wing extremists and those who didn’t fall in the previous two categories carried out the other 3% of deaths. 2017 was the second year in a row in which black nationalists committed murders in the US.

pOb23Rc.png

Overall, there was a marked decline in the number of extremist killings last year from the much higher total fatalities recorded in 2016 and 2015. That said, the report describes 2017 as fifth deadliest year for extremist violence since 1970.

and they aren't even counting average school shootings, the vast majority of which were committed by...drum roll please :bonodrum: ...angry white guys!

so yes, gzusfrk, let's have a discussion about how angry white guys and the NRA are not the problem and how thinking that is only a political stance so the left can show off our faux-outrage, or something like that. i look forward to your rational and thoughtful reply.

Don’t mind me, I’m just compiling a list of places that I should avoid if I ever visit the United States again:

Movie theatres [emoji777]
Music festivals [emoji777]
Schools [emoji777]
Church [emoji777]
Nightclubs [emoji777]
Video game tournaments [emoji777]

What am I missing?

Don’t mind me, I’m just compiling a list of places that I should avoid if I ever visit the United States again:

Movie theatres [emoji777]
Music festivals [emoji777]
Schools [emoji777]
Church [emoji777]
Nightclubs [emoji777]
Video game tournaments [emoji777]

What am I missing?
Major sporting events

Just give it time

Well if you own a gun, you should avoid your own home. Or anyone else that owns one

It’s a tragedy and we have to fix the awful culture and law we have, but no need to be irrational about avoiding being in public places.

Back
Top Bottom