One World Currency - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
The Fly
 
Hobo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 72
Local Time: 04:43 PM
I don't know a whole lot about finance, but it sounds like somebody has us in their crosshairs.
__________________

Hobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,613
Local Time: 04:43 PM
A one world currency will mean a world government. Some questions:

- What happens if one country has high interest rates and another doesn't? How do we match the money supply to worldwide production?

- If the world government screws up where is a competitive currency to hedge with?
__________________

purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,203
Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
A one world currency will mean a world government.
Well, not exactly... but this is a good example of why this won't happen. at least anytime soon.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,435
Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Zhou's comments followed remarks by Russia last week which said it would put forward a proposal at a meeting of the Group of 20 in London on April 2 for the creation of a new global reserve currency.
Quote:
for the creation of a new global reserve currency.
Quote:
for the creation of a new global reserve currency
Quote:
reserve currency
"reserve" is a very important word. The dollar is currently the world's most used reserve currency, under this silly idea that means the dollar is currently the One World Currency.
mobvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kony Island Baby
Posts: 10,223
Local Time: 09:43 AM
No you're wrong movok, it's one world currency and teh MARK OF THE BEAST! Black UN helicopters are coming to enslave your children to the Anti-christ (you'll know him because he will be a charming man who talks about peace).
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,507
Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
"reserve" is a very important word. The dollar is currently the world's most used reserve currency, under this silly idea that means the dollar is currently the One World Currency.
you are right


we live in a one world currency right now

call it reserve, if you like

but why is it reasonable for the U S dollar to dictate or control exchange rates?


I don't know if it is possible to have a "bread basket" tied to a few currencies. would that be better?
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 12:43 AM
Bono has stigmata, guys. STIGMATA.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,435
Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
you are right


we live in a one world currency right now

call it reserve, if you like

but why is it reasonable for the U S dollar to dictate or control exchange rates?

I don't know if it is possible to have a "bread basket" tied to a few currencies. would that be better?
My understanding (maybe wrong) is that in commodities for example if Minor Country A wants to buy oil, they can either use their native currency and incur a transaction fee from the supplier for the conversion, or they can use their stores of Big Currency like the US Dollar or Euro which the supplier is more likely to take direct payment for without the fee. So Minor Country A builds a stockpile of US Dollars for this sort of action. The choice of US money is the preference of the seller, which is related to their biggest buyer- which is usually the US or EU. Other countries prefer the dollar through our actions, America doesn't directly control use of the dollar as a reserve.

I think the bread basket does exist, those are the Special Drawing Rights. Special Drawing Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
mobvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,613
Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
- What happens if one country has high interest inflation rates and another doesn't? How do we match the money supply to worldwide production?
Also a competition of currencies allows for enough variety of results so economists can see which methods work better.
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #30
Refugee
 
Bonoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: a nuthouse for total Egyptfreaks
Posts: 1,040
Local Time: 12:43 AM
*sigh*....And I thought the Euro sucked BIG time!

Now The Netherlands have to put MORE money into other countries than the ones in the EU!
I'll never retire!
Bonoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #31
Refugee
 
Cactus Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Posts: 2,146
Local Time: 11:43 PM
New World Order = One World Order

They will destroy the planet and then the illuminati will fly off to a new planet that NASA has secretly been developing for many years whilst the of us will die on earth.
Cactus Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #32
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 11:43 PM
Then when evolution strikes again and Earth is again inhabited by new humans, the old humans still living in space will be considered aliens...

I'm not big on sci-fi so maybe this has been done before, but this would make a great movie.
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #33
Refugee
 
Cactus Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Posts: 2,146
Local Time: 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Then when evolution strikes again and Earth is again inhabited by new humans, the old humans still living in space will be considered aliens...

I'm not big on sci-fi so maybe this has been done before, but this would make a great movie.
Loves it!
Cactus Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,073
Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoa View Post
*sigh*....And I thought the Euro sucked BIG time!

Now The Netherlands have to put MORE money into other countries than the ones in the EU!
I'll never retire!
^proof that one-world currency is impossible as long as humans are humans.

It is impossible to unite the third world with the first world under a single currency. It only sort of worked in the Eurozone because the Eurozone is made up entirely of first- and nearly-first-world nations. Of course, countries that benefited from it loved it, and those that didn't... didn't... surprise, surprise! But there would have to be a massive transfer in wealth from the first world to the third world with a one-world currency, which we know no one will advocate. And the first world, at this point, depends on the third world being the third world to maintain its first world lifestyle, considering how limited space and resources are becoming on this planet.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #35
Refugee
 
Bonoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: a nuthouse for total Egyptfreaks
Posts: 1,040
Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
^proof that one-world currency is impossible as long as humans are humans.

It is impossible to unite the third world with the first world under a single currency. It only sort of worked in the Eurozone because the Eurozone is made up entirely of first- and nearly-first-world nations. Of course, countries that benefited from it loved it, and those that didn't... didn't... surprise, surprise! But there would have to be a massive transfer in wealth from the first world to the third world with a one-world currency, which we know no one will advocate. And the first world, at this point, depends on the third world being the third world to maintain its first world lifestyle, considering how limited space and resources are becoming on this planet.

I wanted to point out what the average reaction would be in the Netherlands. I agree that there has to be a spread of wealth in the world so that there will be a positive change for third world countries, but I'm afraid that there would also be one center of power, controlling the world. Especially bankers and owners of big multinationals will profit from it!

And as far as world politics are concerned...It is even hard now to vote for European laws, because a lot of Euro governments don't inform the people too well. That's why the Dutch, Irish and French voted a big 'no' against a European constitution.
As a Dutch person, living in a small country, I feel already like we have less to say compared to the British, French and Germans! Can you imagine what a Rwandese politician would feel when he/she wants to speak up against the Russians, Americans, Japanese and Chinese?
Bonoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoa View Post
And as far as world politics are concerned...It is even hard now to vote for European laws, because a lot of Euro governments don't inform the people too well. That's why the Dutch, Irish and French voted a big 'no' against a European constitution.
Or maybe they were well-informed and still voted against it.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #37
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,042
Local Time: 12:43 AM
the Euro was a necessity
from where we live in the Netherlands it takes less than 2.5 hours in the car to get to Belgium, Luxemburg, France and Germany
to think that once you needed a diffent currency in each of these countries is almost insane

I'm all in favour of more countries uniting under 1 currency
I don't see the need for 1 world currency though
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #38
Refugee
 
Bonoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: a nuthouse for total Egyptfreaks
Posts: 1,040
Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Or maybe they were well-informed and still voted against it.
Could be. But at least the Dutch were not informed well! (I don't know about the Irish, but I know the French can be very chauvinistic, sorry for the French people here!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
the Euro was a necessity
from where we live in the Netherlands it takes less than 2.5 hours in the car to get to Belgium, Luxemburg, France and Germany
to think that once you needed a diffent currency in each of these countries is almost insane
Okay, I found that really convenient when I go out in Antwerp, or book a sponanious weekend away, but I am still angry about the fact that everything got more expensive...
The replaced the guilder sign by the euro sign so everything costs more than twice as much. And you can't really say the salaries are raised... and companies have a lot of tricks up their sleeve, especially in this time of crisis (look at the mailmen at TNT Post!).


Quote:
I'm all in favour of more countries uniting under 1 currency
I don't see the need for 1 world currency though
I remember the Bulgarians were against the euro and the EU (back in 2006) because they felt 1: like a cultural minority (east versus western Europe) and 2: the country was still developing after years of communism and there's still a gap between poor and rich. Also the country is very corrupted by the mafia.

I don't see the need for one world currency either.
Bonoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
the Euro was a necessity
from where we live in the Netherlands it takes less than 2.5 hours in the car to get to Belgium, Luxemburg, France and Germany
to think that once you needed a diffent currency in each of these countries is almost insane
Probably for those countries it made sense, however it was complete insanity for Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Greece to join it. The UK rightly stayed outside, although New Labour still managed to make a complete mess of the British economy.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #40
Refugee
 
Bonoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: a nuthouse for total Egyptfreaks
Posts: 1,040
Local Time: 12:43 AM
The British were right!
__________________

Bonoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×