One solution or compromise on the issue of gay marriage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is if the two married people treat it as sacred. And it isn't if they don't.

Simply because people abuse, or take for granted the meaning of something doesn't mean that there is no real meaning. Meaning, or sanctity cannot be decided or arbitrarily assigned to something; you cannot have meaning based on subjective opinions because then it is actually not meaning at all. It is simply someone's opinion of something, rather than a reflection of it's objective worth. If the statement "marriage is sacred" is equally true as "marriage is not sacred" then neither one can be asserted as more true than the other, thus saying that "marriage is sacred" is essentially meaningless for it does not refer to anything that would actually entail that marriage is sacred (ie a reference to some objective standard).

Simply because people abuse, or take for granted the meaning of something doesn't mean that there is no real meaning. Meaning, or sanctity cannot be decided or arbitrarily assigned to something; you cannot have meaning based on subjective opinions because then it is actually not meaning at all. It is simply someone's opinion of something, rather than a reflection of it's objective worth. If the statement "marriage is sacred" is equally true as "marriage is not sacred" then neither one can be asserted as more true than the other, thus saying that "marriage is sacred" is essentially meaningless for it does not refer to anything that would actually entail that marriage is sacred (ie a reference to some objective standard).

:eyebrow: Huh?

Condescending by quoting scripture?

<>

you do realize that the obsession with dogma is totally modern? that for centuries religion -- no matter which one -- was important because it was a practice?

honestly, who cares what the bible says from a literal standpoint? isn't salvation, or whatever you want to call it, found in the actual living out of a particular creed or belief system?

it's just silly, taking a 2,000 year old text that's been translated and the context totally consumed by history and then using it to word-by-word derive just precisely how one should feel about whatever issue?

Sorry, my brain was fried from doing homework all day when I wrote that!

You said that marriage is sacred only if a couple decide that it is. And so I guess I'm just wondering, what real meaning does a thing have if someone just decides to give it? If you're talking about something like sanctity of marriage, it seems it either has to have objective meaning, or not. It can't be based on subjective opinion of it.

Sorry, my brain was fried from doing homework all day when I wrote that!

You said that marriage is sacred only if a couple decide that it is. And so I guess I'm just wondering, what real meaning does a thing have if someone just decides to give it? If you're talking about something like sanctity of marriage, it seems it either has to have objective meaning, or not. It can't be based on subjective opinion of it.

In some ultimate sense, I believe there is objective sacredness, but in the world we live in the concept of anything being sacred is most definitely subjective.

Back
Top Bottom