October Surprises???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The almost-divorce thing is well known. They've both talked about it.

But did Michelle admit to being pressured to stay by the Chicago Democrats? After all, that is what Huckabee on FOX is saying - you know, that station that does serious reporting and not politically motivated gossip?

As for the college thing, if that's true, it's a dumb thing to do, but drugs in college? Not exactly uncommon. Unless they murdered or raped someone or something like that, I really couldn't care less about people's college activities.

Even when it's dealing cocaine?

I'm talking about for anyone, that's kind of a biggie.

Even when it's dealing cocaine?

I'm talking about for anyone, that's kind of a biggie.

Oh, like I said, it's stupid, no question. Massively stupid (and, as properly noted, illegal). IF it's true.

But unless he was part of some massive drug operation ring or something, then I'd say we should chalk it up to a really dumb thing he did, and thankfully he wised up, stopped and moved on from that crap eons ago (if he were still doing it NOW then yeah, I would definitely say it's particularly worthy of concern). That's all. Besides that, as noted, him using cocaine wasn't much of a secret, so if people think someone who uses drugs also deals them would be a "shocking" news story, I would say, "Eh, no, not really."

I just don't understand political smear tactics....on either side.

If I were running for office I would NEVER smear the other side - that would only make ME look bad.
I would lay out my campaign, never make promises I couldn't keep, and run a totally honest and open campaign without having to dig up dirt on anyone else.

If I have to resort to smear tactics to get myself elected then that doesn't say much about me.

I wish both sides would just stick to trying to make America (and the world) a better place to live and leave each other alone.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Oh, like I said, it's stupid, no question. Massively stupid (and, as properly noted, illegal). IF it's true.

But unless he was part of some massive drug operation ring or something, then I'd say we should chalk it up to a really dumb thing he did, and thankfully he wised up, stopped and moved on from that crap eons ago (if he were still doing it NOW then yeah, I would definitely say it's particularly worthy of concern). That's all. Besides that, as noted, him using cocaine wasn't much of a secret, so if people think someone who uses drugs also deals them would be a "shocking" news story, I would say, "Eh, no, not really."

Particularly if "dealing cocaine" turns out to mean selling half a gram to a friend this one time.

It would be funny though if the surprise was that Obama sold Biden cocaine just hours before the vice presidential debate. : wink:

If Obama was dealing coke, that's a pretty big deal.

If he and Michelle almost broke up but stayed together for political means, well, then he's a politician. Which we already know... I'm pretty sure the whole "Obama's a new kinda politician/hope" thing died a long time ago. He's no different from anyone else.

If anything.... Trump dropping the divorce papers could help Obama... making him look sympathetic against a meaningless attack by a giant douche.

I knew several people at college who sold narcotics on campus. Not heroin, but cannabis, LSD and coke. They certainly weren't Columbian drug barons, they just made a few hundred bucks on the side now and then. I'm still in touch with those guys. One is a university lecturer (and now a world renowned researcher on autism), one is the head if an NGO and the other is a medical doctor with the airforce. If their employers knew of their college activities, it would not affect them one iota - they are all ultra responsible adults and proverbial pillars of society. Quite a few highly intelligent people commit misdemeanours at college, whether it's dealing drugs or hacking into computers. I don't think Obama has anything to worry about.

According to one local news report here Gloria Allred is at a courthouse in MA. She's trying to get documents relating to the divorce of Tom Stenberg-cofounder of Staples. She claims they contain damaging info about Romney.

Romney helped to "rescue" Staples when he was at Bain.

And Romney voters won't care. This is all a waste.

I just don't understand political smear tactics....on either side.

The biggest problem is that the ideologues love this stuff. Pretty much most of our problems in American politics revolve around ideologues. This is a rant unto itself, so I'll leave it alone for now.

That said, the smears are not nearly as bad as it used to be because it's not working like it used to. And they only do it when they do it because it works. When it stops working, they'll shut up about it. And some of those attacks have stopped working. Which is probably why the Romney camp won't touch (or doesn't seem to want to touch) that cocaine thing.

When Clinton didn't 'inhale' it was all the press could talk about in '92.
Then he got elected. That 'smear' didn't work. So basically they stopped using it. Even though I think some on the Left tried it with Dubya, once again, it didn't work. Nobody cares about light drug use in your 20's because probably half Americans (or more) experimented with drugs in their 20's.

The moral character shit evidently still works (to some degree) whether it's Swiftboats or Bain. They'll stop doing it when more and more people stop being influenced by it. Thankfully, I think that stuff is becoming less effective as time moves on. As long as someone seems to have an idea to get more jobs and better paying jobs, most Americans don't care about the rest.

This whole argument about it not mattering is really pissing me off though. It only doesn't matter because they didn't get caught.

I have a person in my life who is very important to me that got busted. Now that person has a felony and no job or way to support their family.

The fact is, it's a crime, no matter the circumstances, and selling cocaine of all things would be a big deal, at least to me.

But we're arguing about hypotheticals here.

Let's get back on topic: Trump is a douchebag.

So ... the October surprise is that Trump is an obnoxious, attention-seeking windbag?

That's not really a surprise.

If Romney wins a close race, he will have Trump to thank,

first he jumped in early during the primaries, to put Romney over

second, he worked Obama over and kept him on the defensive, so Romney could get the victory

I think Trump built this all up in order to start all kinds of internet speculation. Some people will believe all of that coke dealer stuff and whatever else. I'm sure the e-mails have been widely circulated. Or just for the insinuation that he really has something on Obama's school and passport records.

Plus he did it because he's one of the biggest attention hos on the planet. That's a given.

If Romney wins a close race, he will have Trump to thank,

first he jumped in early during the primaries, to put Romney over

second, he worked Obama over and kept him on the defensive, so Romney could get the victory
And Jon Stewart too!

You are exhausting, man.

deep, I have to ask, are these truly your opinions or are you playing the Steven Colbert role?

the Trump thing is his talking point, I am sure that will be his point of view ( he brings the sun up, because he crows in the morning)

Jon Stewart, he basically took the best line of attack off the table for Romney,
Romney is a tax cheat, one of the worst people in America to have any influence on our tax system. Now there is a real chance he will be holding the cards.
George Romney was a very honorable and decent man, he paid all his taxes, never dodged any. Released 12 years of tax returns. He also got out in front on civil rights, when the Mormon Church told him not to. He really would be spinning in his grave, if ever anyone does.

Even his friend Barbara Walters said on her show today that he's making a fool of himself and he needs to stop.

I like how Obama said on Leno that it goes back to when they grew up together in Kenya. Don't know who wrote that for him, but lol

Back
Top Bottom