Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Obesity Tax?

Commentary: Why we need an obesity tax - CNN.com

you've got to be kidding me?

lemme get this straight, the government thinks people are too fat, so therefore they will do the obvious and make a new tax to take more money from the people, under the justification of protecting the children?

what a crock of horseshit! yeah sodas and juice drinks are the ONLY things that make people fat.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Finally my love of aspartame pays off.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Refugee

"The $404 million this tax would raise next year will go toward funding public health programs, including obesity prevention programs, across New York state."

404 million for obesity prevention programs?! what, are they gonna pay for lipo for all the obese people?

i guess the the government knows whats best for you.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I am not a proponent of "government knows best" (at least not universally) but clearly individuals don't know best either since they're doing nothing but getting fatter and getting their children fatter by feeding them disgusting things and sticking them indoors 24/7.

Most people (yes, more than half) need to hit the gym or find some form of exercise immediately. And refine their eating habits.

I don't know how you can enforce that, though. Personally, I eat properly and work out a lot because I can't stand the idea of not looking toned and athletic. But unless you want to do that for yourself, nothing anybody forces you will really work.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
Refugee

yes, it is sad how out of shape and "obese" this country has become. however, that doesnt give the government the right to impose taxes on sugar drinks to force people to cut back (even though the real reason is to increase revenue). im pretty sure nowhere in the constitution it says "the government shall have the right to tax pepsi because the children might get fat."

and besides, if people wanna pig out on shitty food and get fat and out of shape and die in their 30s-40s, then thats their choice. natural selection baby.

i guess im too libertarian and this type of bullshit these politicians try to pull pisses me off.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post

and besides, if people wanna pig out on shitty food and get fat and out of shape and die in their 30s-40s, then thats their choice. natural selection baby.
Except that these people cost the taxpayers millions of dollars in medical care over the span of their lives.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Well they tax other vices so why not. Not that I'm all for it, I guess I don't really care. And I can drink Coca-Cola for days before I have a glass of water. But if charging me more for it is prohibitive for me and the money is put to good use, why not. It would depend on what happens to the tax money....

If we're going to be stuck with this same health care system, I wouldn't mind seeing higher premiums for those that choose such unhealthy lifestyles and finally some BREAKS for those who make an effort to be healthy. At work we do this thing called Healthy Habits where our health insurance provider gives us quarterly cash incentives if we fulfill requirements. The problem is that you can get a credit for going to a 50 minute talk on high blood pressure or get a credit for recording your workouts. So I get one credit for working out 5-7 days a week for an hour, meanwhile an overweight co-worker who needs a smoke every few hours gets the same credit for daydreaming through the blood pressure meeting. Not fair.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I support the soda tax. I think it's similar to the cigarette tax in many ways insofar as it's a deterrent and I'm ok with that. Speaking from personal experience, knowing something is bad for me isn't enough, but start charging me for stuff and the ancient cheap Scottish blood starts going and I think twice. The taxes certainly helped me quit smoking. I'm not a big soda drinker, but it can't hurt.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hmmm, I'm not sure where I stand on the obesity tax. On one hand, I agree that the government has no role in people's personal lives, and people should do as they please even if they do give themselves diabetes and heart disease. It really is their problem.

But on the other hand, I also agree that obesity is a serious issue in the US. If we have the government trying to crack down on smoking, for example, since its a serious health risk, than why not obesity as well? Instead of having more generations growing up with diabetes and heart diseases, why not make the nation stronger by enforcing anti-obesity tactics like the tax?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
So I get one credit for working out 5-7 days a week for an hour, meanwhile an overweight co-worker who needs a smoke every few hours gets the same credit for daydreaming through the blood pressure meeting. Not fair.
Reminds me of a friend of mine who was working at another firm and they used to get reimbursed for I think $400 or $500/year for gym memberships. Then some people complained about how there are other ways of getting fit (like yoga, or joining intramural leagues, etc) so the firm stopped reimbursing people and instead just cut a "health cheque" at the beginning of the year. My friend said that more than half the people then used the $ to buy iPods, flat screen TVs, clothes, etc.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
Refugee

the main issue is the government just going "oh we'll just tax our way out of this." they have a budget problem so instead of cutting spending, they raise taxes or come up with new bullshit sin taxes like this one.

they're supposidly focusing on cutting down on obesity, so:

ok, soda and fruit juices can make you fat lets add 18% tax on it and hopefully the people will cut back on them.

well what about fast food, candy, pastries and baked goods, pizza etc etc etc?

i guess we should tax all that stuff too, i mean, they tax other things so why not, and it might stop people from getting fat and the money will go to a good cause?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
The Male

Local Time: 05:12 AM
I'm skinny as a rail, don't drink soda, and am not a citizen of New York, so this does not affect me in the slightest.

However, I am interested in this because of the intriguing precedent it sets. I can't help but think that a nationwide 20% tax on pizza would cause mass riots and social revolution.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm skinny as a rail,
did you read the part where skinny people would receive Government refund checks.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
the main issue is the government just going "oh we'll just tax our way out of this." they have a budget problem so instead of cutting spending, they raise taxes or come up with new bullshit sin taxes like this one.

they're supposidly focusing on cutting down on obesity, so:

ok, soda and fruit juices can make you fat lets add 18% tax on it and hopefully the people will cut back on them.

well what about fast food, candy, pastries and baked goods, pizza etc etc etc?

i guess we should tax all that stuff too, i mean, they tax other things so why not, and it might stop people from getting fat and the money will go to a good cause?

Butt, and a big butt at that, you will be paying the tax also. How will they just tax the overweight.
Get a grip, they can't tax the "people" any longer because we are almost taxed out. So they will pick on fat kids/people in the name of "helping them".
They will have to take every processed food item off the market and what about growth hormones in beef and chicken to fatten them up for market?
Who is monitoring this? What about seafood from deplorable conditions in China. But wait we can only afford seafood, now that the government is taxing us for being overweight.
If you can afford all organic beef and or fowl and produce, good on you.
The majority of the country can't unless the government steps in and subsidizes you grocery bill.
I promise you, fast foods and cola's are not the only problem with obesity in this nation.
Be careful what you wish/fall for.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
Refugee

it shouldnt matter if it affects you directly or not. it's about the government becoming more and more intrusive on our lives. if this tax goes into effect in NY it could in the future. look how the smoking bans started in california and then spread like wildfire.

its about them coming up with new bullshit ways to tax us and then making it seem like it will be good for us. the founding fathers would be rolling over in their graves if they could see how their government has turned into the nanny state we have today.