Obesity Tax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not a proponent of "government knows best" (at least not universally) but clearly individuals don't know best either since they're doing nothing but getting fatter and getting their children fatter by feeding them disgusting things and sticking them indoors 24/7.

Most people (yes, more than half) need to hit the gym or find some form of exercise immediately. And refine their eating habits.

I don't know how you can enforce that, though. Personally, I eat properly and work out a lot because I can't stand the idea of not looking toned and athletic. But unless you want to do that for yourself, nothing anybody forces you will really work.

Yeah, but some people are fat and unfit and are not lawyers.

So, y'know, the psychic karma evens out.

A lot of these thin people are involved in all kinds of bad stuff. It is well known that many of them take heroin to stay thin, for example.

Seriously though, a lot of this health fascism seems to have gone over the top recently.

A lot of these thin people are involved in all kinds of bad stuff. It is well known that many of them take heroin to stay thin, for example.

Seriously though, a lot of this health fascism seems to have gone over the top recently.
Rock hard abs don't make the top 10 physical attributes I want in a woman.

Has it really?

The proportion of the overweight and obese in our society so far outweighs these "health fascists" that it's almost not even worthy of discussion.

Nobody says you have to have a perfect 6-pack. But why people wouldn't want to get in shape to FEEL a hundred times better, to have more energy, to be more healthy, etc, that is a little weird to me.

When it becomes a marker of moral worth, then yes, it has gone over the top.

I see a lot of, erm, attitude towards larger people that would stop most of us dead in our tracks if it were racial or sexual or religious minorities in the firing line.

I get the personal responsibility arguments, but they only stretch so far. I refer here to the more obnoxious 'you brought it on yourself so you can just die' kinds of arguments.

I think that the government should regulate the advertising for unhealthy food products and stop enticing kids to want crap. Instead of an obesity tax for the individuals consuming this stuff, perhaps the food corporations should receive tax increases for manufacturing it and tax credits for getting back to basics. For example: if sodas contained real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, would it have the same effect? The soda would naturally cost more anyhow.

When it becomes a marker of moral worth, then yes, it has gone over the top.

I see a lot of, erm, attitude towards larger people that would stop most of us dead in our tracks if it were racial or sexual or religious minorities in the firing line.

I get the personal responsibility arguments, but they only stretch so far. I refer here to the more obnoxious 'you brought it on yourself so you can just die' kinds of arguments.

I don't really care about how other people spend their money, live their life, define their morals....why it bugs me is because there are so many overwieght unhealthy people in this country and health insurance is basically worthless b/c either we can not afford it, or we get it through our employer but the deductibles are so high it's not even worth having. The average person in this country is unhealthy and overweight. It pisses me off that the more unhealthy someone is, the more they are able to actually capitalize on health insurance that's costing us a fortune.

Back
Top Bottom